The five corners quintet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The five corners quintet

Got the 2nd 10" by this group today, it's on Ricky-Tick Records. Track called "The Devil Kicks", brand new jazz.
    It's fucking ace no messing about. Any one else rocking it.
    It sounds like I just got a Clarke Boland mega rare LP, but only had to pay 6 dabs or whatever.
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Oh ace! I got the first one - top drawer jazz floor biznizz.

Ta for the heads up - I'll look out for that..

Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

its the business! their first one - with eero koivistoinen - is also worth checking out. five corners is a place in helsinki that has not only five corners, but also some four recordshops.

the people behind the project are tuomas who also produced the awful bookshopbackgroundworldhouse band nu spirit helsinki. and this modfunksoul45beatjazz obsessed helsinki based disc jockey / bar entrepeneur called go go antti.

some of the band's tunes are actually compose by koivistoinen. they are an incredible live-band, and might have played either bar rhumba or cargo. at least they were going to.

there's a live recording of their 1st gig - with some great covers - knocking about. drums on the first release were by art blakey, but i presume this is live drumming.
      er

Comment

Yeah, Ive got the 1st one too.
        Future classics no doubt.
        You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

if you want to get really anal and financial about it, there's two issues of the first 10". i think the first ones pressed in sweden and the second in the UK. meaning that if you're planning on paying covering pension time with the record seek out for the first press.
          er

Comment

Both Devil Kicks/Three Corners and Trading Eights/Blueprint are unmissable. Eero Koivistoinen is on both by the way.

I actually wanted to post about these records for the last two weeks because I was wondering whether anyone knows anything new of similar calibre in the same style.
            Germany's Hipnosis on Perfect Toy keeps the jazz alive but isn't as instant at the Fins.
            Any recommendations ?

Comment

It's quality stuff alright. I'd love to record some straight ahead jazz on Funkydown, so maybe I'll try and do that this year
              FunkyDown
              Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Do any of you guys get the jazz-pu stuff? Its bonzer!
                www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

yeah, yeah... i&#39;m a regular at the jazz-puu crate. the pressing / remastering has been so great that there&#39;s no reason to pour beer and ash on the originals enymore. actually flogging them to the japs seems the only option now.

funny anecdote of the series is that its put out by sähkö-recordings, or jazz-puu is a sublabel to be more correct. remember them? huge in the namedropping ambient scene in early 1990&#39;s. sähkö guys has also put out jimi tenor and his missus, the first recording by js16 (man behind Darude, Bomfunk MC&#39;s), etc.
                  er

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Yemsky @ Feb. 27 2004,22:50)]Both Devil Kicks/Three  Corners and Trading Eights/Blueprint are unmissable. Eero Koivistoinen is on both by the way.

I actually wanted to post about these records for the last two weeks because I was wondering whether anyone knows anything new of similar calibre in the same style.
                    Germany&#39;s Hipnosis on Perfect Toy keeps the jazz alive but isn&#39;t as instant at the Fins.
                    Any recommendations ?
                    Hi Yemsky

Have you checked any stuff by Sleepwalker from Japan? They had a stunning LP out last year with some beautiful jazz business on it. I think they&#39;ve recorded some stuff recently with Pharoah Saunders which should hopefully be out soon - keep an eye out. There is also a new 12 called Bakura out now on Especial.

Comment

Working...
                    X