Deepfunk 10th anniversary show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deepfunk 10th anniversary show

Is it just going to be 'deepfunk' all night? I'd love to hear Mr Davis DJ again but if it's just funk all night I'll give it a miss. Anyone got any info?

Does no one know? Or have I offended all the deepfunk fans on the board with my indifference? Or am I asking a stupidly obvious question and you're all thinking 'God Blighty, of course it's going to be funk all night you dork'?

If it's eclectic I want to be there. I can't stand listen to one style of music for hours though.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Mar. 01 2004,17:22)]Or am I asking a stupidly obvious question and you're all thinking 'God Blighty, of course it's going to be funk all night you dork'?
      Well, if Keb Darge is playing then you can certainly expect some disco type gear. Is Trubs playing? If so then you might get some soul/northern sounds as well.

But I think you're right to judge that from the name of the event that there's unlikely to be much wider variation of genres in the selection.
      Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

OK, so the line up is Keb, Josh and Mr Dope (surely there's a couple of warm-ups too). So I'd take it that you might well get soul and disco variations plus a few breaks here and there, but probably not too much else.

Comment

I'm definately going to give this one a wide birth I can't think of a more snoozeworthy line up...A whole night of:

"oooh I bet you've never heard this before"
          "Yeah but It's shit!"
          "Well it's worth $10,000"
          "zzzzzzz"

Sorry to hate but that line up is soo over rated! I'd rather stay in & watch Garth Merengue's 'Dark Place'...

Peace

P.
          Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Palmer_Eldrich @ Mar. 01 2004,18:24)]Sorry to hate but that line up is soo over rated! I'd rather stay in & watch Garth Merengue's 'Dark Place'...
            Werd! That show's great in't it?

Bit of a claim to fame on this, I grew up with and went to school with Matthew Holness (aka Garth Merengue). I was even in a band with him in the late 80s. There was me playing samples on my computer (no, really&#33, a drummer called Ed whose kit wasn't properly weighted down (and so he used to chase it endlessly around the room as he played), and Matthew, who was utterly obsessed by The Who and used to turn up with his Rickenbacker guitar, dressed in an ill-fitting boiler suit with the look completed by 'windmill'-style guitar moves. None of us could play a thing. We were called 'Chemical Babies'.. years before The Chemical Brothers you understand. I wish I still had a tape of us - we were hilariously fucking bad. And that sho ain't bad meaning good folks!!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Palmer_Eldrich @ Mar. 01 2004,18:24)]I'm definately going to give this one a wide birth I can't think of a more snoozeworthy line up...A whole night of:

"oooh I bet you've never heard this before"
              "Yeah but It's shit!"
              "Well it's worth $10,000"
              "zzzzzzz"

Sorry to hate but that line up is soo over rated! I'd rather stay in & watch Garth Merengue's 'Dark Place'...

Peace

P.
              The only time I've ever heard witness the infamous Mr Josh Davis DJ was at the Product Placement show and that was pretty incredible. But yeah, that whole rare record things doesn't make for a good evening. At the PP show you had Keb and Dante on at the start playing these obscure funk records and it was pretty dull. Then Z-Trip comes out and plays the Jackson 5 and Black Sabbath and the Beasties and it's was fucking incredible. The whole place came alive. The right sort of audience at a 'deepfunk' night and I'm sure eveyone would have a good time but I likes when the the DJs mix it up.

Comment

I had met Z-Trip on a crazy Dj Gig in Texas! (We were flown to Austin TX to represent 'E-Music' A major corps.(failed) stab at making money from Mp3 downloads. I djed after Z-Trip & Radar, a hard act to follow I then met up with Z-Trip again in London for said PP gig. He hipped me to the Delta 72 version of 'Champ'. He totally killed it that night albeit playing for the crowd but that entertainment isn't it?
                Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

OK......to put the record straight.

The full line up is going to be:

Keb
                  Shadow
                  Kenny Dope
                  Snowboy

Advance tickets are going out within the next week or so, so the chances of paying and getting in on the night will probably be slim.

And yes, it's going to be funk filled. I'ld imagine the list of records would include tracks that have been stalwarts to the night itself, and I would think Keb will throw in some of his more modern soulful discoveries of recent times.

Regardless, it's going to be roadblocked.

Comment

Working...
                  X