Today, I have mostly been listening to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alanmck
    Jazz Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Today, I have mostly been listening to...

cos it's a frikkin corker.

had this for years, only ever listened to one or two tracks from it, then dug it out when moving records around at home, and was blown away by it's greateness. solid, start to finish, great great great record. time and place, got that will, hey joe, california dreaming (the last two of these as featured on the Stonesthrow Psychedelic Soul Podcast a wee while back) would each be worth the entry fee on their own. the version of hey joe is probably my favourite.

NEXT!
  • Sie Vulture
    Zapatta Schmidt
    • Nov 2001

Indeed it is a corker... and you didn't mention the sad ballad "What You Don't Want Me To Be" that still brings a tear to the corner of my eye...

The original issue is, in my personal experience, very difficult to turn up, but an upcoming reissue should make Lee Moses' music more accessible to all..

What other gems are you gonna pull from the crates today then, Mack...?

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• alanmck
      Jazz Moderator
      • Nov 2002

stirring soul stuff today, kids...

'nuther corker start to end. esther's a gospel queen, and this album is soaked in that gospel-soul tradition. he don't appreciate it, mama, chains of love, walk tall, even the ones that start a bit lame change and build, like no answer came. the best bits all arranged and conducted by gene page (blacula, etc), and all overseen by the mighty Bob Thiele. Released on Flying Dutchman in 1969 (there's a Euro pressing on Phillips too). It's considerably better as an album than Esther's later effort on Fantasy "Sister Woman" (which does feature the monster track "things ain't right").
      Last edited by alanmck; 01-06-2007, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Sie Vulture
        Zapatta Schmidt
        • Nov 2001

another killer...

I'm a bit worried that you are sat in my house, right now!

Oh, and you can get "He Don't Appreciate It / Mama" on Phillips 45 for cheap, those of you looking to sample the soul of Ms Marrow...
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• LDJB
          Chocolate Rain
          • Dec 2001

I've been listening to The Small Face 'Ogdens Nut Gone Flake' - I'm currently reading a Steve Marriot biog and had kind of forgotten how good the SF stuff is. Tend to forget the fact that they only really produced 3 LPs

Best white UK soul singer???
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Joe M'geek
            Lonely Jelly
            • Jul 2005

I'm listening to the album by Mark Eric on revue...just arrived this morning from japan

fantastic...its great harmony pop, and he has a pleasingly weird voice
            "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

• alanmck
              Jazz Moderator
              • Nov 2002

a wee grouping of stuff from the rest of this morning... gotta love working for Saudis, they all take Friday off...

not always the biggest fan of mr ballard, but this album is a good 'un. how you gonna get respect, funky soul train, with your sweet loving self (my absolute favourite on this set), unwind yourself, come on wit' it. and unusually, james brown only claims partial authorship on 6 of the tracks.

swampy southern soul from that elvis lookin muthafucka (as he was described to me by the guy in the shop i bought this from ). well known round this board, so shan't go on about it.

omigod, a 45! aye, and a funky one at that. according to miss tamango, man can't live, not by bread alone.

and back to the Brown. always nice to touch a bit of Brown of a Friday morning. Hang Ups We Don't Need (The Hungry We Got To Feed), You Got To Have A Job, etcetera, etceteraaaa

some geezers round these parts reissued the John Wagner album on Koala. this isn't it, but it is on Koala. Wagner produced it too (JWPinc credit) in Albuquerque, in 1976. again, southern soul is the best way to decribe this, but with a bit of a sprinking of latin horns, some funk. a bitty smoother than the other stuff i've listed. nice album to listen all the way through, but the real standout is "times are gettin' hard", which i've probably played out at Brillo in the past. final track bests the Happy Mondays by about 13 years, being that it is called rave on.

one of the greatest female vocal performances i have ever heard. nothing else need be said. i defy you to find any single track better than the title track of this album.

Comment

• IAN
                Lonely Jelly
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by LDJB View Post

Best white UK soul singer???
                yep! No-one matches Marriott for sheer passion and intensity.

Followed closely by Stevie Winwood, Chris Farlowe, Terry Reid..

Comment

• Viva Chiba
                  Lonely Jelly
                  • Feb 2003

?!

Mick Hucknall. . . .

Comment

• Ian Townsend
                    Great Depths
                    • Feb 2005

Listened alternately to these two yesterday whilst having a good re-organise.
                    Cheers to John S for prompting me to pick up the Judee Sill a few weeks back.....lovely LP.

And the Arthur Blythe's just got a great overall sound to it through the combination of sax, tuba and cello. Difficult to describe...somewhere between New Orleans marching band and an East European animation soundtrack....it's the scratchy dissonant cello playing that does it I think.

<<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

• Magoorty
                      Animated Egg
                      • Apr 2007

After reading about this stuff in the Observer Music mag I had a wee google and found this set here:http://chocoreve.blogspot.com/

Some utterly bonkers stuff on this. Only made it through disc 1 so far. May well be inflicting some of the other 3 discs on folks at a bbq this weekend

Comment

• Belson
                        Lonely Jelly
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by alanmck View Post

one of the greatest female vocal performances i have ever heard. nothing else need be said. i defy you to find any single track better than the title track of this album.
                        Interesting choice - from a soul perspective, I could think of a stack of performances that I would put before Ms Ellison, say Barbara Mason 'Half a love' on Arctic (keeping it fairly accessible, like )

Comment

• wallace
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2005

Tammy Grimes readin' GEORGE mACdONALD'S FAIRYTALE "tHE gOLDEN kEY" (OAN cAEDEMON rECORDS).

Comment

• mr sayers
                            Chocolate Rain
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Viva Chiba View Post
                            Mick Hucknall. . . .

"Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• mr sayers
                              Chocolate Rain
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Belson View Post
                              Interesting choice - from a soul perspective, I could think of a stack of performances that I would put before Ms Ellison, say Barbara Mason 'Half a love' on Arctic (keeping it fairly accessible, like )
                              ive got this lp somewhere never really left an impression on me perhaps i need to listen to it some more...
                              "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Working...
                              X