Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bongolia
    replied
    finally got the 12 Tops '2001' at the weekend, and got that Latinaires version the other week, so hearing SoS's as well - it's a been a non-stop ride of Strauss excitement (or something)

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Ah, but you people didn't have the honour of hearing Son Of Stan's 2001 offering on Monday. As someone with no particular fondness for the tune it certainly put a big cheesy grin on my face.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Hero
    replied
    I'm not sure whether it is the version of 2001 that isn't being dissed, or the LP that it is from (like LDJB I only have the 45), but if it is the former I feel I should stand up for it.

It's my second favourite cover of Deodato covering Strauss.

Did anyone else read that piece in the last Wax Poetics about Deodato by the way ? That version of 'Also Sprach...' was apparently the first take. Without overdubs. Pretty amazing.

Leave a comment:

• formigo
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Mar. 06 2004,19:23)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Don't bother with the 2001 one, it's pants.
    I've got a 45 of that track and I quite like it - never seen the 33 though.
    Ah well, opinions differ and all.

I had the LP this is from but I've forgotten what it's called, and I know for a fact I gave it back to the charities last time I moved house.

It had a woman's face on the cover, which is not exactly helpful when distinguishing Ray Conniff LPs (unlike "Send In The Clowns", she was at least a hottie).

There was actually one tune on their I quite liked, not funky but quite spooky sounding, well for the first 30 seconds or so anyway.

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Don't bother with the 2001 one, it's pants.
    I've got a 45 of that track and I quite like it - never seen the 33 though.

Leave a comment:

• formigo
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Mar. 06 2004,18:11)]i don't think Send in the Clowns is common in the UK. i've never seen a copy, nor the one with 2001 on (i believe it's titled something like 'Conniff Sprach Ba Da Ba Da&#39 and i've known about those two for years
    Don't bother with the 2001 one, it's pants.

(Do people still say "pants" in the UK?)

Anyway, now that I have this valuable information I can flood the trades board with copies of Send In The Clowns.

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    i don't think Send in the Clowns is common in the UK. i've never seen a copy, nor the one with 2001 on (i believe it's titled something like 'Conniff Sprach Ba Da Ba Da&#39 and i've known about those two for years

Leave a comment:

• formigo
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Mar. 04 2004,12:20)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Mar. 04 2004,12:14)]The best version of 'Theme From SWAT' is the Ray Coniff version. It's a stormer.  
    Did that LP get a UK issue ? It's been a long time want (ie want to dig, not to buy off eBay) and I've never seen it. This, naturally, annoys the hell out of me.
    You can get it on his "Send in the Clowns" (should be well common) or "T.V. Themes" (apparently less so).

The latter is preferable as it has a good "Police Story" theme on it as well.

I might have a double of "Send in the Clowns" if I didn't already throw it away in a fit of pique, I'll check it out...

Leave a comment:

• Motown67
    replied
    I like a couple cuts off that album. S.W.A.T. as mentioned, but also the title cut and their version of Baretta's Theme.

Their other album, "Sky's the Limit" has that BDP sample already mentioned, but also a cover of Starsky and Hutch.

Call me a sucker, but I do like themes from 70s cop shows that I grew up with.

Leave a comment:

• bboy parkz
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Mar. 04 2004,11:16)]There's a third one with a BDP sample on it - names escapes me though.
    Sky's the Limit: (ABC 1978)
    * "Sky's the Limit"
        Boogie Down Productions's "Nervous"

I like this song a lot and played it out quite a few times, often having people asking me the title, so it has an impact for sure. Gets played in the bboy circles too.

Leave a comment:

• Blighty
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Mar. 04 2004,12:20)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Mar. 04 2004,12:14)]The best version of 'Theme From SWAT' is the Ray Coniff version. It's a stormer.  
    Did that LP get a UK issue ? It's been a long time want (ie want to dig, not to buy off eBay) and I've never seen it. This, naturally, annoys the hell out of me.
    I don't think the 'Theme From SWAT' album got a UK release but I'm pretty sure there's a UK issue Conniff album with it on.

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Did that LP get a UK issue ? It's been a long time want (ie want to dig, not to buy off eBay) and I've never seen it. This, naturally, annoys the hell out of me.
    I've had a couple out of charities - doesn't mean it's UK though I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by [b

Leave a comment:

• Blighty
    replied
    The best version of 'Theme From SWAT' is the Ray Coniff version. It's a stormer.

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    There's a third one with a BDP sample on it - names escapes me though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X