Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look and read

click

Ahh, like being 8 years old again. In Mrs Simpkins' class, second lesson Wednesday morning. Sat in the assembly room. Sigh, so long ago.

I preferred Words & Pictures though, with Henry Wolf (Coooooool Cat! Laaaazy Lion! etc).

Benicio
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

'Magic E (1974-1994) You need me, I'm Magic E!
      Probably the most popular of all Look and Read song concepts...'

I bet...  
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

"look & read" and "words & pictures" were definitely both favourites. i can even remember being in bed, suffering from chicken pox when look & read's "sky hunter" was being broadcast - i can still picture it.

i wish someone had the videos or dvd's of all that stuff.

Comment

So, maybe some of you could help me out with a hunch i've had for a few years now !?

On "Words & pictures" before "Wordy" came on the scene, what was the poorly animated character called and is it just me, but did it not bear an uncanny resemblence to Chris tarrant !?
          SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (TOWNY @ Mar. 04 2004,16:25)]So, maybe some of you could help me out with a hunch i've had for a few years now !?

On "Words & pictures" before "Wordy" came on the scene, what was the poorly animated character called and is it just me, but did it not bear an uncanny resemblence to Chris tarrant !?  
            surely you're getting mixed up, towny? "wordy" was on look & read. unless there was another "wordy", who was on words & pictures.

the OG animated cheeky chappy on words & pictures was called "charlie".

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (wooly @ Mar. 03 2004,17:36)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (TOWNY @ Mar. 04 2004,16:25)]So, maybe some of you could help me out with a hunch i've had for a few years now !?

surely you're getting mixed up, towny? "wordy" was on look & read. unless there was another "wordy", who was on words & pictures.

the OG animated cheeky chappy on words & pictures was called "charlie".
              Ah, thats it ! I was getting mixed up Wooly.

So Charlie's the Tarrant lookalike
              SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

I was suprised nobody ever made a cheesy rave tune with the "Magic E" sample ala "Sesame's treat", maybe too obvious??

Good to see Derek Griffith's vocals mentioned on that site, brought back a few memories. Anyone remember the animal show he did the theme for with scat vocals, "Heads and tails" i think.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (wooly @ Mar. 04 2004,15:05)]"look & read" and "words & pictures" were definitely both favourites. i can even remember being in bed, suffering from chicken pox when look & read's "sky hunter" was being broadcast - i can still picture it.

i wish someone had the videos or dvd's of all that stuff.
                  Sky Hunter. That was a classic. I'd forgotten all about that.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Mar. 05 2004,10:33)]Sky Hunter. That was a classic. I'd forgotten all about that.  
                    yes - mr trim, the egg collector. remember when he tried to pull the wool over the kids eyes by sending a "welsh" telegram, in which the content was just spelt backwards. they worked out the secret code and bang! they worked out he was dodgy.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (saru75 @ Mar. 05 2004,09:37)]Anyone remember the animal show he did the theme for with scat vocals, "Heads and tails" i think.
                      Yes, I do - I've got a signed copy of the LP too! Derek plays all the instruments himself, and there's a nice bit of buzz flute on the track 'Ants'.

I assume Derek G played all the instruments on the 'Bod' soundtrack too, then?

I'm sure I heard someone had done a Sesame's Treet style version of 'Magic E', but then again I also heard someone had done a rave version of the theme from 'Fingerbobs' too - never saw that one in Our Price!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Mar. 05 2004,12:17)]I've got a signed copy of the LP too! Derek plays all the instruments himself, and there's a nice bit of buzz flute on the track 'Ants'.
                        i've got a signed copy as well. never seen one otherwise! i think my favourite track is "life gets everywhere". really nice song and derek is very talented on the instruments!

Comment

Im jealous of all these signed copies, i want one too!

Did you get to meet the great man himself, or found them ready signed?

Comment

derek also features in that great little funky gilbert and sulliven 'black mikado' record that's been charted a few times.

in case you didn't know, he's even worked with the royal shakespeare company... quite an impressive cv!
                            http://www.blaxploitation.com
                            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (wooly @ Mar. 05 2004,11:09)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Mar. 05 2004,10:33)]Sky Hunter. That was a classic. I'd forgotten all about that.  
                              yes - mr trim, the egg collector. remember when he tried to pull the wool over the kids eyes by sending a "welsh" telegram, in which the content was just spelt backwards. they worked out the secret code and bang! they worked out he was dodgy.  
                              How do you remember that? Damn all those jazz cigarettes I've smoked. Memories are a flooding back. Well a trickling at least. I used to love that series soooo much.

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]I assume Derek G played all the instruments on the 'Bod' soundtrack too, then?
                              Has any of that music every been released? It was great. Perfect Johnny Trunk material. Somebody bug him about reissuing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X