Ccs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ccs?

Picked up the 2nd album from CCS today, there's a cool little drum break and some nice moments... but....

What's the deal with this group? I assume they are from the UK. The cover on the Aussie pressing has given me no info on the group

peace.

didn't alexis korner have something to do with them?

and didn't it stand for "collective consciousness society" or something?

sorry, i realise it's hard facts you're after, not my half baked recollections.
    Endless Tripe

Comment

I'm tracking their cover of Whole Lotta Love on 45 now, hadn't put a bid in yet cos I was trying to remember if it was any good - memory failing me, but I live covers of Led Zep anyways so...
      http://wakeupanddie.com
      http://weirdgearnyc.com
      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I really like ccs. Ive got the orange covered lp on rak and CCSII. some really nice moments on there.

Ditto the 'whole lotta love' being great. That flute must be McNair as John Cameron arranged CCS.
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Mar. 05 2004,14:06)]I&#39;m tracking their cover of Whole Lotta Love on 45 now, hadn&#39;t put a bid in yet cos I was trying to remember if it was any good - memory failing me, but I live covers of Led Zep anyways so...
          Nick &#33;

Are you trying to say you are too young to remember the old TOTP theme tune...

Comment

Oh right... I knew I&#39;d heard it somewhere&#33; Thought it was another version that maybe I&#39;d heard at Brillo or something...&#33;
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Well, I played the Chico Arnez and T.W Ardy versions at the last HF&amp;S Nick.... and I may have played the King Curtis version too at a Brillo as well.
              Matt Hero

Comment

CCS did three LPs and all are worth picking up but my fave is the last one &quot;Best Band in the Land&quot; due to the proliferation of Cameron tunes and the covers chosen - both &quot;Lola&quot; and &quot;Sunshine of Your Love&quot; are funkybongotastic&#33; I would also recommend picking up their numerous 45s as they usually have a tasty Cameron track on the flip.

Nick - they do 2 Led Zep tunes on the second LP&#33;
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Also worth looking out for is the KPM LP &#39;Jazzrock&#39; by John Cameron, which is basically CCS doing some instrumentals.

Other members of the band included Barry Morgan, Don Lusher and another guy on flute (presumably after MacNair had died) who&#39;s name escapes me.

They appeared on TOTP a couple of times (as well as having their version of &#39;Whole Lotta Love&#39; appropriated as the theme music), though all those appearances are now wiped. A few of the band were also in Johnny Pearson&#39;s TOTP orchestra, so presumably it was just a matter of switiching chairs&#33;

Comment

Great band&#33; My fave is Brother, which was a big hit here and I still play. Alexis Korner was one of the grandaddies of black music in this country and anyone remotely interested in him should also read the biography that Harry Shapiro wrote, the snappily-titled Alexis Korner: The Biography.

His Radio 2 show on a Sunday evening in the 70s/80s was fantastic. Introduced me to Mike Westbrook, Carla Bley, Barbara Thompson, Tower of Power, Graham Central Station, Nick Mason&#39;s Fictitious Sports yadda yadda ya....
                    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Mar. 05 2004,14:46)]Well, I played the Chico Arnez and T.W Ardy versions at the last HF&amp;S Nick.... and I may have played the King Curtis version too at a Brillo as well.
                      Hang on a mo - TW Ardy playing Led Zep? Now that&#39;s something I&#39;ve got to hear&#33; What else does he do on that LP, Matt?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Mar. 05 2004,16:21)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Mar. 05 2004,14:46)]Well, I played the Chico Arnez and T.W Ardy versions at the last HF&amp;S Nick.... and I may have played the King Curtis version too at a Brillo as well.
                        Hang on a mo - TW Ardy playing Led Zep? Now that&#39;s something I&#39;ve got to hear&#33; What else does he do on that LP, Matt?
                        It&#39;s on his &#39;Hammond Happiness&#39; LP on Polydor and is part of a strange medley with &#39;Cecilia&#39; &amp; &#39;Soul Brother Clifford&#39;. Only about 1.5 mins long and is exceptionally fast.

Nice version though, especially for the 49p that &#39;Help The Aged&#39; charged me.

Other that that, the rest of the LP is a mix of classics (&#39;You Are My Sunshine&#39 and pop hits (&#39;Proud Mary&#39. And best avioided.
                        Matt Hero

Comment

I believe I still have a spare copy of the 1st album if anyone&#39;s keen to trade...

(I say &quot;I believe&quot; because I haven&#39;t dared rifle through my trades bin for several weeks now)

Comment

The Best Band In The Land (Rak SRAK 504) 1973 - their third album has got the best version of &quot;sunshine of ...&quot; i&#39;ve ever heard,. play it preactically all the time. allways works on the floor, its got an incredible base line, and some groovy rhodes action.

must check out the &quot;whole lotta...&quot; thing.
                            er

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (mokka @ Mar. 05 2004,21:36)]The Best Band In The Land (Rak SRAK 504) 1973 - their third album has got the best version of &quot;sunshine of ...&quot; i&#39;ve ever heard,. play it preactically all the time. allways works on the floor, its got an incredible base line, and some groovy rhodes action.

must check out the &quot;whole lotta...&quot; thing.
                              Doesn&#39;t beat Spanky Wilson I reckon... (although poor Spanky&#39;s getting a bit played now).

I&#39;m very fond of the CCS version, but I&#39;d I&#39;ve thought it was a bit slow for the club? Do you pitch it up or something?

Intriguing.

Comment

Working...
                              X