Whatever happened to...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to...

Was thinking the other day about some of the folk who I used to get records off years ago (particularly those who I used to do trades with - I've always been too skint to just purchase stuff&#33.

Wonder who, despite the rise and rise of eBay are still around.

I used to get lists etc from such folk as: Soul Brother, Soul-utions, Soul Provider, Casbah, Hot Biscuit, Virgo Vibes, Steps Ahead, Intoxica, John Doe, John Manship etc

Anyone have any fond memories of these guys, or know if they're still trading or were wiped out by the 'Bay?

Benicio
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Soul Brother, John Manship and Intoxica are still very much going. The guy from Casbah (can't remember his name) moved to Spain - in fact I came across his new website last week, very nice stuff on there indeed (as expected&#33. Hot Biscuit was Jake who runs Counterpoint, wasn't it? I never used the others but my question is whatever happened to Black Grape (the record dealer not the dodgy band) - they used to have some cracking 45's.
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Yeah, I remember Oli going to Spain....owing me money. And Soul Provider went out of business....owing me money!!

Splash DVD went out of business this week...owing me money!!

Bastards.

And don't get me started about cheating Portuguese rats and corrupt Russian officials. This has not been a good week.

Benicio
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ Mar. 11 2004,15:25)]Soul Brother, John Manship and Intoxica are still very much going. The guy from Casbah (can't remember his name) moved to Spain - in fact I came across his new website last week, very nice stuff on there indeed (as expected&#33. Hot Biscuit was Jake who runs Counterpoint, wasn't it? I never used the others but my question is whatever happened to Black Grape (the record dealer not the dodgy band) - they used to have some cracking 45's.
        Didn't Black Grape morph into the Grapevine 2000 set up?

Edit: Yes they did. Here's their website: http://www.grapevine-soul.com/new_page_1.htm
        Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Mar. 11 2004,15:49)]And don't get me started about cheating Portuguese rats and corrupt Russian officials. This has not been a good week.
          Utd having done to them what they have done to so many. Oh how we laughed.
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ]Oh how we laughed. Â
            .... Still laughing Bill !

I actually bought a record off the Soul Brother list this month... £20 for a mint The Devil's "Xorcist" single on People seemed reasonable... I've not seen a copy for years... whaddya reckon ?
            If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Mar. 11 2004,16:44)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]Oh how we laughed. Â
              .... Still laughing Bill !

I actually bought a record off the Soul Brother list this month... £20 for a mint The Devil's "Xorcist" single on People seemed reasonable... I've not seen a copy for years... whaddya reckon ?
              So the Devil actually made a record then?
              Endless Tripe

Comment

As Bill Hicks once said... "the Devil's got all the best tunes"...

:hicks: rophet:
                If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Mar. 11 2004,16:44)]I actually bought a record off the Soul Brother list this month... £20 for a mint The Devil's "Xorcist" single on People seemed reasonable... I've not seen a copy for years... whaddya reckon ?
                  I've seen a few copies on the bay over the last 6 months or so.

I'ld say you paid just about a decent price for it. Seen these for £15 fairly recently, instead of the mindless £40 it got up to about 5 years ago.

Comment

So how did he fit that in with his busy schedule running Man United?
                    Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Mar. 11 2004,16:51)]As Bill Hicks once said... "the Devil's got all the best tunes"...
                      "hymn's a swingin?"

Comment

hahahaha ! nice one Wooly.

Cheers for the honest reply Belson... I thought I'd paid a decent price. Always nice to have a double-check from a fellow Vulture.

Comment

do remember 'Jam Records' in the Trocadero run by a bloke called 'Ollie' got some nice bits from there he also did the fairs as well..!
                          Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

Ollie's moved away from London now...
                            http://wakeupanddie.com
                            http://weirdgearnyc.com
                            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Mar. 11 2004,15:03)]Was thinking the other day about some of the folk who I used to get records off years ago (particularly those who I used to do trades with - I've always been too skint to just purchase stuff&#33.

Wonder who, despite the rise and rise of eBay are still around.

I used to get lists etc from such folk as: Soul Brother, Soul-utions, Soul Provider, Casbah, Hot Biscuit, Virgo Vibes, Steps Ahead, Intoxica, John Doe, John Manship etc

Anyone have any fond memories of these guys, or know if they're still trading or were wiped out by the 'Bay?

Benicio
                              Personally, I praise the day I got familiar with the internet. No longer will I pay RIDICULOUS prices for records from people like John Manship (for instance). I'm sure he & others like him do just as well these days as they always have done but I'd rather play the waiting game. I've got at least half my most wanted Top100 from the internet over the last couple of years at a fraction of the cost Phil Spelman, Gerald, Intoxica or whoever would list them for.
                              new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Working...
                              X