Moody - the gentle rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moody - the gentle rain

So much for the whole 'reissuing it while make the price drop' theory.

cough

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Mar. 12 2004,09:34)]So much for the whole 'reissuing it while make the price drop' theory.

cough
    I've never heard of that theory, mate.

Just about all the records that I have that have been reissued have always maintained their value. In some cases, increased.

Comment

Hmmm...going up rather than down.

Mind you, the price will definitely plummet the day I manage to turn one up...

a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Belson @ Mar. 12 2004,09:43)]
        Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Mar. 12 2004,09:34)]So much for the whole 'reissuing it while make the price drop' theory.

cough
        I've never heard of that theory, mate.

Just about all the records that I have that have been reissued have always maintained their value. In some cases, increased.
        Ben was saying he thought the price would drop after the reissue because people would realise it wasn't all it was hyped up to be. I thought that would happen. It seemed to be more of a 'producers' record anyway. I thought everyone paying that sort of money was chasing it for the obscure sample factor which has obviously gone now.

Comment

Yeah but the more people who talk about an Lp like this, the more people hear about it. Word gets around and now you've got tons of people searching for a record that loads of them haven't even heard or know what it looks like... And nowadays, many of these people may even be prepared to shell out on such an LP, despite not knowing it at all (though I suppose they could've been given a CDr or dowloaded tracks from it) never-the-less, in the last few years, this record has achieved a huge holy grail status. It was pretty sought after before, but only by those in the know. It blew up after Nuggets 2 came out, but recently it seems to have gone up a whole gear.

I guess all collectors scenes get like this about certain objects of desire, though the record scene does have it's fair share of what appears to be minted young bucks eager to impress others. But I guess you could say that about any man at any age!

Would you say that The Gentle Rain has now become the new Stark Reality?!
          http://wakeupanddie.com
          http://weirdgearnyc.com
          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I am not sure I would consider it value for money if I had paid £300 for mine.

Its a nice enough record but a bit underwhelming after the way its been hyped.
            Endless Tripe

Comment

I suppose a lot of this will depend on the availability of the reissue won't it?

There will still be people who haven't heard it because the reissue isn't exactly clogging up the racks at HMV.

Fair play to dada39 though, his auctions this time round are cracking. It's not his fault that there are muppets out there with waaaaaaay too much money! Was the winner a US bod by any chance? Those producers are really competitive and often only an original will do - it's a HipHop thing apparently.

Benicio
              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Mar. 12 2004,10:57)]I am not sure I would consider it value for money if I had paid £300 for mine.

Its a nice enough record but a bit underwhelming after the way its been hyped.
                Moody Schmoody!!!

This aint unique. This is just the same old shit happening over and over, Stark Reality, Moody, you name it!

No difference to my mind!

Once a record is reissued or booted or a well documented [spoken about] track is comped there will always be a ton of wadded up toys ready to throw mad moolah at the OG and infact, far from what anybody else might have predicted, the direct opposite is frequently the case and once these young or hungry ears cop a wack of the tracks people gush over on boards such as this one, the oh so predictable blood frenzy commences and we see subsequent online scrummages such as this one!

Nick has a good point about these types who wish to impress each other. I think that no matter how inconspicuous you might seem on the bay, there are those out there who wish to gather a bit of a name for themselves within the online digging community, which is a little like being a big fish in your own bath tub!

And why is all this fuss always about these one trackers, ignoring other well tough but far more fuller joints?

Back to the old nugget that is Value-For-Money LP's right?
                I was raised by wolves

Comment

And before any other mother tells it to me, yes I did bid on this bad boy, cool?

I'm aint no happy vulture today
                  I was raised by wolves

Comment

[QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] (La-Soul-Fiend @ Mar. 11 2004,12:16)]
                    Originally posted by son of stan,Mar. 12 2004,10:57

And why is all this fuss always about these one trackers, ignoring other well tough but far more fuller joints???

Back to the old nugget that is Value-For-Money LP's right?
                    Actually wasn't predicting, just having a crack at my own expense - I tend to agree that mostly reissues raise a record/track's profile, and so increase demand, which I'd guess usually offsets any decrease in demand among those who were looking for it first...

I'm guessing the only thing that WOULD douse the flames would be 600 previously unknown copies coming onto the market from a warehouse somewhere...maybe.

That said, and to twist the value for money thing a bit, is ANY record actually worth £300 (from a listening viewpoint, rather than a rarity/curio, collector's piece/investment one)? I mean, that's 30 ten quid albums/45s you could get there, and you'd need a lot of good tracks on one LP to balance those scales out...

It's the complete works of Pete Moore, a couple of James Browns and possibly even a 'Terminator', 'Soul Cure' and 'Big Beat', with change for a Tom Jones and Geoff Love or two. Not to mention about fifty choice selections from the catalogue of
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (La-Soul-Fiend @ Mar. 12 2004,11:26)]And before any other mother tells it to me, yes I did bid on this bad boy, cool?

I'm aint no happy vulture today    
                      You and Matt are the two people who always beat me to something I want to bid on. Curses on the pair of you.

Has anyone invested in the reissue btw? I'd like to pick one up but I'd like to know what the sound quality is like before I do.

Comment

I've heard the reissue.

Surprisingly good sound quality. A nice package all round actually and reassures you that you were FAR better off spending £11 than £300!

That Please LP (Filipino funk covers) has been reissued as well. I sold an OG on the 'Bay last year for £100+ after paying £2.50 for it in Nottm. I was so embarrassed at how much it fetched (cos it really ain't much cop despite the Bambaataa connection) that I knocked the guy (a US DJ type) some money off AND covered his postage myself. I didn't realise just how in-demand that LP was til the reissue came out and I saw the 'history' insert.

It's a strange game this record collecting lark.

I reckon that Time Traveller's Galaxis LP is better than Moody. One that you should all pick up for a few quid now and sit on while it becomes a £50 LP.

Anyone else got a tip for one that's set to blow up?

Benicio
                        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

A further thought.....

I wonder how many of the copies which turn up on ebay are in fact the same copies being punted on by underwhelmed previous buyers.

Wish I was brave enough to implement my plan of placing it in some obscure charity somewhere to see how long it takes to surface
                          Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (wayne @ Mar. 12 2004,11:31)][

It's the complete works of Pete Moore, a couple of James Browns and possibly even a 'Terminator', 'Soul Cure' and 'Big Beat', with change for a Tom Jones and Geoff Love or two. Not to mention about fifty choice selections from the catalogue of
                            And seeing as we're talking Recordkingz, Soul Cure is currently for sale on there at £125.

Not sure if your theory still holds truth. .

Comment

'Soul Cure' was going to be my next prediction for the next blow up until I saw it on the RK site at £125 (and it isn't a one tracker either).

So, another guess.... Lucien Juanico '...50% Rhythme' ?
                              Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X