Eddy louis/ivan jullien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddy louis/ivan jullien

Bought a nice CD in a remainder bookshop recently, a jazz take on Gershiwn's Porgy and Bess done by organist Eddy Louiss and a big band arranged and conducted by Ivan Julien.

It's got some great funky moments in it, and lots of nice Hammond noodling, and was originally released on Riviera in 1971.

Does anyone know anything about these people, and anything else good they might have done? Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Hi LOrd T,

Can't tell you much about Eddy Louis but Yvan Julien was/is a French jazz musician (trumpet/flugelhorn) and arranger (obviously&#33

He did a lot of stuff for the French libraries as well as contributing tunes to and playing on the brilliant 'Synthesis' french jazz-rock LP on RCA France from 1976, also featruing players such as drummer Andre Ceccarrelli and keyboardist Phillipe Briche.

Interestingly, the very last track on KPM 1110 ('Life is For Living&#39 called 'Rocky' Chair' is by him - a very funky and interesting fusion of string quartet with funky brass and drums.
    Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Thanks for that - I had a feeling one or the other of them would have done a bit of library stuff.

Does the KPM track sound like it was done in the same sessions as the rest of 'Life Is For Living', or was it possibly licensed from somewhere else? There aren't many French composers on KPM, as far as I can tell. Only other one I can think of is Jean Boucherty.

Comment

Eddy Louiss is a french hammond player, I've got an lp on America from 1973, sounds very reminiscent of Jimmy Smith. It appears he's still playing, has some releases out on a french label called Dreyfus it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Mar. 14 2004,19:31)]Thanks for that - I had a feeling one or the other of them would have done a bit of library stuff.  

Does the KPM track sound like it was done in the same sessions as the rest of 'Life Is For Living', or was it possibly licensed from somewhere else? There aren't many French composers on KPM, as far as I can tell. Only other one I can think of is Jean Boucherty.
          The Jullien track on the KPM LP does have a different 'sound' to the rest of the tracks - most likely it has been licensed from somewhere else.
          Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Mar. 13 2004,19:52)]Bought a nice CD in a remainder bookshop recently, a jazz take on Gershiwn's Porgy and Bess done by organist Eddy Louiss and a big band arranged and conducted by Ivan Julien.

It's got some great funky moments in it, and lots of nice Hammond noodling, and was originally released on Riviera in 1971.

Does anyone know anything about these people, and anything else good they might have done? Any pointers greatly appreciated!
            Bought mine a last year
            I realy love this lp ... classic

Comment

Ta for that, chaps! I suspect there may be other gems in the back catalogues of these two - I'll keep 'em peeled.

In answer to my own question too, it seems Eddy Louiss was also a member of the French vocal group Les Double-Six, a sort of prototype Swingle Singers, with Ward Swingle and a couple of others!

Comment

Working...
              X