Need help with some digging...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with some digging...

everytime I drop in at my neighborhood record store (Hymies Basement) I end up browsing their big band and easy listening sections. but, I never buy anything from these section because I have no idea what to look for. are there any absolute must-have lp's from these genres I should be scoping? I know there has to be some gems waiting to be discovered, I just don't know what's worth buying. got any tips?

There's a pretty simple answer to this - do some research!

You could start by scanning through the extensive reviews on the main Vinyl Vulture site and check out the charts, pop over to soulstrut and have a browse through their 'crate digging reviews' and 'Ish' sections, and try searching on the net through the many exotica websites which offer myriad info on easy and big band LPs. Are you not checking for the countless LPs and 45s we've dropped knowledge on in this forum? Start a list!

Plus, IMO you need to take a gamble sometimes on records you know nothing about. Hell, I do it almost EVERY time I go to a record shop! Sometimes it's to my disadvantage, but I'd say 9 times out of 10 I'll come out smiling. If it looks like it could be a bit funky, has any interesting-sounding cover versions/song titles or musicians that you're familiar with, take a risk. You certainly won't discover anything new for yourself unless you do, which for me is the whole point of digging.

"Woah! I've found a Gentle Rain!"
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

is that pharrel diggin'?
      er

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (vibra @ Mar. 14 2004,17:01)]you could start by scanning through the extensive reviews on the main Vinyl Vulture site and check out the charts, pop over to soulstrut and have a browse through their 'crate digging reviews' and 'Ish' sections, and try searching on the net through the many exotica websites which offer myriad info on easy and big band LPs. Are you not checking for the countless LPs and 45s we've dropped knowledge on in this forum? Start a list!

Plus, IMO you need to take a gamble sometimes on records you know nothing about. Hell, I do it almost EVERY time I go to a record shop! Sometimes it's to my disadvantage, but I'd say 9 times out of 10 I'll come out smiling. If it looks like it could be a bit funky, has any interesting-sounding cover versions/song titles or musicians that you're familiar with, take a risk. You certainly won't discover anything new for yourself unless you do, which for me is the whole point of digging.
        I have checked the review section extensively but to be fair, 99% of the records that are talked about here are so obscure (to me) that attempting to ask a simple question would result in backlash. I know of some of the more popular library items i've seen you guys going on about but those are damned near impossible to find here. also, there are so many other genres/sub-genres that I know nothing about.

I agree with you to a degree about taking chances on records, you'll occasionally come across something that blows your mind. but I don't necessarily believe that I have to waste $50 on records that may look interesting but are in fact complete rubbish---quality over quantity I say.

anyway, are there any particular sites that specifically review big band/easy listening records that you might recommend?

Comment

On a Big Band tip:
          Stan Kenton - 7.5 on the Richer Scale - Creative World.
          (This is probally the only decent Stan Kenton LP & you will have a fair chance of picking it up in the Big Band Section. Has at least 2 tunes, a great version of 2002! & Blue Gene)

Buddy Rich Big Band LP's
          (Go for the ones on RCA as a rule. & there's a good un on Groove Merchant. Very Alive at Ronnie Scotts is great for a flying version of Jesus Christ Superstar + there is another more funky LP which I can't remember the mane of)

Some UK issues of The Clarke Boland Big Band may show up in Big Band Sections. They are all worthwhile but if it's funky stuff your after then probally not. Latin Kalediescope is dope but buy em all if you see them cheap)

Ill put some more if I remember.

And by the way, I can't see there being a backlash on here mukka.
          You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Getting nice with the record store owners and investing in/borrowing a portable record player is the way to go here...
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (mech1 @ Mar. 15 2004,01:29)]I agree with you to a degree about taking chances on records, you'll occasionally come across something that blows your mind. but I don't necessarily believe that I have to waste $50 on records that may look interesting but are in fact complete rubbish---quality over quantity I say.
              I think some of idea of "buy loads of unknwon stuff" is where you can get it cheap for a few quid. Though it may depend on where you're located as to what you can find.

If something costs 50 quid then chances are its of interest to someone and you can move it on if you don't like it.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Mar. 15 2004,06:36)]Getting nice with the record store owners and investing in/borrowing a portable record player is the way to go here...
                yup. I'm pretty friendly with my local record store owner(s) and i've been meaning to ask if I can bring in my portable. guess I'll hit 'em up next time I stop by.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Mar. 15 2004,13:00)]If something costs 50 quid then chances are its of interest to someone and you can move it on if you don't like it.
                  Woah! I'd say if something costs £50 check around first and see if it's cheaper elsewhere. We all know of sellers who price some, if not all, of their stock at well above it's real value and you don't want to be stuck with something you can't recoup your outlay on...

My two pennies - I'd second the Buddy Rich recommendations ('Buddy And Soul' and 'The Roar Of '74' work for me). Plus 'The Many Facets Of David Newman' (not sure if this is really big band though?) as reviewed by Sie somewhere in the charts. Johnny Dankworth's 'Movies 'N' Me' that was just recently mentioned on here is well worth a listen. And The Roundtable's 'Spinning Wheel' is spectacular - extremely funky big band with added mediaeval flavour. Again, I think it's in one of LDJB's charts.

And search the forum for the Daly-Wilson Big Band - I think one of our antipodean brethren ran through them a while back (or visit DJ Sheeps's site).

As for questions - ask away! We're a friendly bunch and simple questions often bring forth good knowledge for all of us.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Mar. 15 2004,13:30)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Mar. 15 2004,13:00)]If something costs 50 quid then chances are its of interest to someone and you can move it on if you don't like it.
                    Woah! I'd say if something costs £50 check around first and see if it's cheaper elsewhere. We all know of sellers who price some, if not all, of their stock at well above it's real value and you don't want to be stuck with something you can't recoup your outlay on...
                    You got me there. I meant to put in some kinda allowance for that, I certainly wouldn't recomend buying records at random at that price. I more meant if you knew it was going for around that price but didn't know if you yourself would dig it.
                    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I thought you may have meant that. And if you didn't I was going to ask to borrow a tenner...
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Mar. 15 2004,16:03)]I thought you may have meant that. And if you didn't I was going to ask to borrow a tenner...  
                        I spent yesterday clearing blocked drains so I'm pretty knackered, my brain and fingers ain't entirely in sync.

Ooo-err missus

Anyway I've never spent 50 quid on a record.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                        X