118 118

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 118 118

on the subject of ads with groovy music, does anyone know what the track used on the new 118 118 ad is?

not the rocky theme obviously, but the latest one...

i'm too impatient to wait for it to appear on commercialbreaksandbeats...

Not seen this one yet, but the previous ads used a track from the Gert Wilden 'Schulmadchen Report' CD - a fuzzy guitar/brass/hammond thing that I can't remember the title to. Is that the one?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Mar. 15 2004,11:58)]Not seen this one yet, but the previous ads used a track from the Gert Wilden 'Schulmadchen Report' CD - a fuzzy guitar/brass/hammond thing that I can't remember the title to. Is that the one?
      hmmn.. mebbe, i don't remember it being as outright funky as that... i'll have to dig it out and check.

usually i find it's the otherway around, ie my memory vastly exagerates a record's musical value, but perhaps this is the exception.

Comment

definitely not 'Schulmadchen Report' unless it's a remix or exclusive to the CD copy (only vinyl to be found around these parts).

any clues anyone?

Comment

Am I the only one of us mellow minded folk who'd like to get   on the   who made these ads?
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ]Am I the only one of us mellow minded folk who'd like to get on the who made these ads?

NO!
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Mar. 15 2004,13:41)]Am I the only one of us mellow minded folk who'd like to get   on the   who made these ads?
              wait 'til you see the latest one... it's even worse, if that were possible (bar the music)

Comment

Shit is going down people!

Just the other nite me and my girlfriend were perched on the sofa in front of the box watching some trailer for something or other, on 5 I think.

Imagine my suprise when I copped an earful of Piccioni's main theme from his very obscure movie Puppet on a String!
                Now it isn't everyday that you get a televisual blast of some seriously underground Italian OST pumping out of your widescreen, is it?

This event was rendered even more odd as I'd just included this particular track into my latest mix and so upon hearing it as prime time marketing fodder, kinda spun me out on a Wednesday evening as I munched thru my plate of chips!!!

I don't mind when this happens, it just weirds me out a little, you know?

I have various theories which may or may not explain why I should feel at odds with the uncommon but evidently increasing usage of favourite tracks used for marketing purposes, especially ad campaigns.

None are scientific!!!!!
                I was raised by wolves

Comment

both channel 4 and five seem to have some clued up people in their music selection departments for trailers... perhaps they're taking cues from VV?

Comment

I think some of the staff at Mojo are reading this board too.

It's weird how often something is discussed here one month, only to appear in Mojo the next.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.
                    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

I don't go on the forums much these days but noticed this little issue and i'm not so mellow about the whole affair.

It's ridiculous using certain tracks to advertise. For a start it renders that particular tune unplayble in clubs/bars because it instantly becomes cheese + you get sick of hearing it anyway & it loses it's appeal as a special tune or record.

How about KFC. They've gone too far with that Flirtations tune (Nothing but a Heartache) .....why would you want to go and buy chicken just cuz you've heard a song like that. Since when was a zinger "soul food" ? and what the f**k is soul food......do they mean fish ? if so then it should be "Sole Food" .........

and what about Thomson Local using a Plump DJ's 12" ......it's like Yellow pages using Throbbing Gristle whilst J R Heartley is looking for hs "Fly Fishing" book ......it's so clueless and laughable!!!

My theory is that it's some jumped up ad executive who wants to show off to the rest of his/her work collegues in his/her office that he/she's into "really cool & groovy music" maaan! and the boss thinks "yeah, they're young & hip lets use that music, what the hell, rock & roll" !!!!

bless em all in advertising .....they're just sad poor fools who are about 3 years behind the rest!
                      "Its not punishment they need, Its gunishment"

Comment

Hmmm....

I think it's time for Blighty to insert a hyperlink to a certain Bill Hicks routine from 'Revelations'! 'Just planting seeds....'
                        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

'soul food' does mean something, just not KFC! google should be able to fill you in....

that Ford advert with (a remix of?) Tricky's cover of 'Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos' amuses me... rather odd choice, presumably some clueless ad exec only heard the 'on the run' bit of the lyrics

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (jefski @ Mar. 16 2004,13:56)]It's ridiculous using certain tracks to advertise. For a start it renders that particular tune unplayble in clubs/bars because it instantly becomes cheese + you get sick of hearing it anyway & it loses it's appeal as a special tune or record.

How about KFC. They've gone too far with that Flirtations tune (Nothing but a Heartache) .....why would you want to go and buy chicken just cuz you've heard a song like that. Since when was a zinger "soul food" ? and what the f**k is soul food......do they mean fish ? if so then it should be "Sole Food" .........

and what about Thomson Local using a Plump DJ's 12" ......it's like Yellow pages using Throbbing Gristle whilst J R Heartley is looking for hs "Fly Fishing" book ......it's so clueless and laughable!!!

My theory is that it's some jumped up ad executive who wants to show off to the rest of his/her work collegues in his/her office that he/she's into "really cool & groovy music" maaan! and the boss thinks "yeah, they're young & hip lets use that music, what the hell, rock & roll" !!!!

bless em all in advertising .....they're just sad poor fools who are about 3 years behind the rest!
                            agree, adverts jacking good music isn't particularly good from a politics vs arts debate, ie the ad / company has no appreciation whatsoever of the music in question, but to suggest it then becomes a cheesy tune kinda misses the point surely? i mean, it's not *our* music as such, and it's in the artists' best interests for them to reach the biggest audience possible, who might then go out and buy more from that artist. plus the artist recoups the royalties as well..hopefully.

sorry, i'm not really into that musical snobbery - music is for everyone - but then, i am an ageing hippy at heart...

and i still haven't found out what the tune was called at the beginnig of this thread....

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]agree, adverts jacking good music isn't particularly good from a politics vs arts debate, ie the ad / company has no appreciation whatsoever of the music in question, but to suggest it then becomes a cheesy tune kinda misses the point surely?  i mean, it's not *our* music as such, and it's in the artists' best interests for them to reach the biggest audience possible, who might then go out and buy more from that artist. plus the artist recoups the royalties as well..hopefully.
                              Exactly. When I was 12/13 I heard a James Brown track used on a commercial. Thinking it was the best thing I had ever heard I went out and bought his greatest hits. My musical education had started.
                              records - one a week mixcloud
                              records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X