Cracked records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked records

Has anyone on the board ever tried to, or succesfully repaired a cracked 7"? Any advice on this procedure would be very helpful, as I have both heard about and seen evidence of the practice but am frankly a little uneasy about applying glue to vinyl (if this is indeed the best method). Any words of wisdom?
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Has the postman been ignoring the "do not bend" instructions again?

If its just half way across the record, sometimes it's possible to just click the grooves back into place before playing. The record plays (sometimes with a click on each revolution).

With worse damage, I've heard that fixing another 7" to one side of the record can help. (Never tried it). I guess if the record doesn't play anyway it might be worth a go. Be careful and good luck.
    Endless Tripe

Comment

I have a not so fond memory of buying a copy of Yvonne Fair's Bitch is Black at a thrift shop back in maybe 1997, getting home and dropping the needle into the intro track and then hearing a very loud pop on the first rotation. Stopped the LP and a closer inspection revealed a fracture that extended 2/3 of the way into the first track.
      I think "okay, I'll just drop the needle after the split". Soon as the needle goes down the thing dances off the record. I unsrew the cartridge and sure enough the stylus had been compeletly ripped off. Any records with splits get very, very little play or are tossed immediately these days.

Comment

There's no solution i'm afraid, I tried glue it doesn't work trust me; tried to put cardboud on the other; tried a ring all sort of things...no results.. you will always hear it.

Comment

Out of interest, what's the record Reverend Funk?

My personal feeling is that glue could well be risky. I used to love building Airfix models (once a geek, always a geek ) and the glue acted by melting each surface to be bonded. This was polystyrene so, for a start, it makes sense to avoid using that on styrene 45's. And I don't know what effect it'd have on vinyl but if it didn't melt it it wouldn't do the job anyway...
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

</span>
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ] I used to love building Airfix models (once a geek, always a geek )
            <span =''>

I loved to make german tanks, from revel......(don't ask me why)...now that's geeky

Comment

</span>
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]
              </span>
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ] I used to love building Airfix models (once a geek, always a geek )
              <span =''>I loved to make german tanks, from revel......(don't ask me why)...now that's geeky
              <span =''>I get the feeling we may not be the only one's here to share this childhood hobby Pokester...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Ahh, the smell of Britfix glue - king of the model making glues. Particularly good for fixing Subbuteo figures that hand been knelt on during particularly frantic passages of play.

Sorry, just having childhood flashbacks here
                Matt Hero

Comment

wasnt it adrian mole who got an airfix plane stuck to his nose...during an experimental *sniff*
                  www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

my mate's dad got a miniature harpy stuck to his fingers with epoxy resin.

try explaining that one to the missus when you're in casualty...
                    http://www.blaxploitation.com
                    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

</span>
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Quote: from pokester on 3:06 pm on Mar. 13, 2003

I loved to make german tanks, from revel......(don't ask me why)...now that's geeky
                      <span =''>

You made tanks out of chocolates? :wink: :biggrin:

Comment

Anyone else remember the airfix dinosaurs...?? Used to have a row of 'em in my bedroom windowsill, but I was so crap at it my dad used to make them for me...

On the point, though, I'd have to go with the general feeling that if it doesn't snap back exactly there's nothing you can do about a split. Once or twice the split's been neat enough to permit a few plays &amp; taping of the track, but no more than that - &amp; always at risk of putting your cartridge in mortal danger...
                        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Jeez.. there's me seeking some serious, deep vinyl knowledge of substance and you take the whole #### thread on a one-way ticket to Nerdsville! German tanks? Adrian Mole?? Lordy. Hehe.. that's why I love this place! :cheesy:

Well thanks for the few vaguely relevant responses anyway. I kind of figured as much, but as I said I did once see a 45 in a store that had a complete crack across the vinyl which seemed to me to have been repaired, and I read about it in Too Darn Soulful - Richard Searling accounts a Stateside trip and finding &quot;a snapped DJ copy of Johnny Moore's 'Walk Like A Man', which I mended and it played OK&quot;. So that was what got me thinking..

Anyhow, Rich there are currently 3 sevens I'm seeking to repair:

Ralph MacDonald 'Calypso Breakdown' (TK)
                          Calypso groove with heavy opening percussion break.

Tom Scott &amp; The LA Express 'Jump Back' (Ode)
                          Classic from the The Nine Lives of Fritz The Cat soundtrack, with the beastly TCB in E on the flip.

Joe Bataan 'Aftershower Funk' (Mericana)
                          Superb latin funk fusion with funky geetar, flute, wibbly synths and of course some seriously fat-ass percussion.

All of them play alright with the 'click back into place' manouvre, but I'd really like to fix 'em up proper nice if it were possible. But then if they play ok...

&quot;If it ain't broke don't...&quot; oh dear :biggrin:
                          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

i can distinctly remember the smell of &quot;humbrol&quot; enamel paints and airfix glue. i think my dad was a bigger kid than me, he'd buy all these airfix models and we'd build them together - it was all a big excuse for him.

Comment

I have a cracked seven by Gladys Knight and The Pips that when i fix the weight of the tone arm in my 1200 is a loop factory. Don't even need the sampler, just drop the needle and the things loops seamlessly... crazy huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X