Boring laptop question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring laptop question

Having come into a few quid, I'm gonna treat myself to a laptop but have come up against the question - PC or Mac? Any advice gratefully received as I'm a right Luddite most of the time.....
    "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Originally posted by Slim Jim View Post
    Having come into a few quid, I'm gonna treat myself to a laptop but have come up against the question - PC or Mac? Any advice gratefully received as I'm a right Luddite most of the time.....
    Mac people will say Mac, PC people will say PC. Although you can obviously now run Windows on a Mac so I guess Apple are more versatile in that sense. IMO overpriced but undeniably pretty.

Comment

Macbook. Stable, versatile, nice to use.

Wouldn't bother with a Macbook Pro unless you're going to do high-end video edting.
      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

got cash and want a very easy life then mac

would rather buy records then a pc.
        Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

My friend has a macbook and it irritiates the sh*t out of me. My biggest gripe was that you can't tap the touchpad to click the mouse - you have to move away and press the button. Seriously annoying.

It might still be worth getting one to spite Brian May:

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brians...sep06a.html#12
          SEALED, this has a sticker on the front reading "COLOUR VINYL" so it's probably not black vinyl, even though black is a colour.

Comment

Originally posted by peretti View Post
            Mac people will say Mac, PC people will say PC. Although you can obviously now run Windows on a Mac so I guess Apple are more versatile in that sense. IMO overpriced but undeniably pretty.
            This is a potential can of worms on any forum, however I reckon everything you need to know is put eloquently and succinctly right there by Peretti ( with specifics filled in by Sermad below ).

I use both ( both are great ( or terrible if used badly ) and can do all the other platform does, it's just what you're used to imho ) . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PADkpyVWAwQ
            Last edited by Mr_Hopkinson; 28-03-2008, 04:04 PM.
            Laminated with Clarifoilâ„¢

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

macs are great but they are honestly really expensive compared to a pc.

I would recommend an intel dual core processor, 2 gigs of ram and windows vista. Go for a really reliable brand like compaq or toshiba. I think £500 will get you a great machine these days.

Places like pc world do really good deals if you are nervous about buying online - dabs.com are reliable
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by Beatfreak View Post
                My friend has a macbook and it irritiates the sh*t out of me. My biggest gripe was that you can't tap the touchpad to click the mouse - you have to move away and press the button. Seriously annoying.
                I'm not sure why you'd want to do that, but can't you just change it in trackpad preferences ?

Comment

On my ancient Macbook you can use the pad for clicking. I hated it though and got hold of a separate mouse because using the trackpad like that I'd either end up with stuttering lines that looked like shorthand notes when trying to draw something fiddly in illustrator, or I'd open random desktop files when trying to move them.
                  ...Dreamtime coming

Comment

I had a laptop then when that died switched to an ibook and have to admit that I don't think I'd buy a PC/laptop again.

Mac =
                    We Love 99% Of Our Buyers Too As They Are Freat To Deal With

Comment

We have an ibook and I use a PC/Linux thinkpad for work and if I had to choose between the two then it'd probably be the ibook but only because the battery life is much better and that makes up for the abysmal Mac interface ;-). I would much rather have a PC with a decent processor, memory and screen than either of those. though. It really comes down to what you're doing with it and how much money you can spend.
                      Errr..Hambone?

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Logic View Post
                        abysmal Mac interface ;-).

Wow. Now that is one thing I have never heard said about Macs in the dozen years I've been using them.

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                          Wow. Now that is one thing I have never heard said about Macs in the dozen years I've been using them.
                          these kids, man, for them it's all about the emoticons... and i think the logical one said ""

Comment

what type of computers do your friends/family have? if you're new to this then it's useful to buy what knowledgeable mates already have, so that they can give you a hand if you get stuck (and some people swap software too but that's Very Bad if you haven't Paid For It and it's not freeware).

it's no good getting a PC if all your techie mates use Macs, and vice versa.

these days there's little to choose between Mac and PC (except price and 'cool' factor - Mac rates a lot higher on both counts). the traditional PC-for-business and Mac-for-media stereotypes only hold up if you're using them professionally, day in day out, for certain applications. for casual users Mac or PC would both do the job.

be realistic about your aims too. if you're only going to use it for web browsing and email, don't get an expensive high spec machine - you could even get an Asus eee PC (200 quid for a brilliant, highly portable little paperback-sized machine, but it runs Linux not Mac or Windows unless you hack it)
                            http://www.blaxploitation.com
                            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

I just got me a MacBook Air and it's lovely...... overpriced yes - but thin, very portable... and sexy
                              "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X