Library music ? sermad lbdj anyone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library music ? sermad lbdj anyone...

This could well have been asked before, and I know you donÂ’t want to give all your secrets out to everybody butÂ…

Can you give some advice on how to track down library collections, please?

When I first heard of the new library record craze, and the prices, I thought it was maybe hype, and European dealers getting something back from the Americans. But as IÂ’ve heard more and more library music, IÂ’ve grown to love it. But dam if it aint impossible to find good library pieces for a decent price anywhere. If a record shop has some near me, theyÂ’re mainly awful. And once, theyÂ’re in a dealers hands, theyÂ’re just too dam expensive for the likes of me.
    So IÂ’m thinking IÂ’m willing to put in the time to try and track some down, but I donÂ’t know where to start.
    Some help/guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

Hit shops. If you see any - ask if they have any other collections. Thats what I do. Always pays off.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Serm&#39;s hit that nail on the head - it is all down to shoe leather and telephone calls... just asking around in shops...

I ain&#39;t hit a seam of libraries for well over a year.. feels like longer...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

In london in certain shops they crop up and its a case of just hassling the people if you can look at the box *out back*.

Also it pays to know all the no&#39;s by heart and what is good on a specific record. I don&#39;t know kpm big beat by its name - to me its 1044. Beat Incidental 1043. Chorus and orchestra 0149 etc etc.

When you are flicking through 200 kpms with the same cover - it sure pays knowing the #&#39;s.

Having a near photographic memory for useless numbers is a bonus.

Comment

Cheers.

When you say &quot;phonecalls&quot; who you phoning?

I don&#39;t know about the shops in London, but here in Bristol, there&#39;s not much chance of getting any help from record shops, I mean they&#39;re cool but, when it come to Librarys they&#39;re thin on the ground, so they go quick or to friends.

Sermad. Just out of, well nosiness realy, How did you get into it. What was your best find, and how&#39;d it come about?

Comment

An alternative solution, is to talk to places like your local Hospital Radio. They tended to get given lots of surplus / unwanted stuff from local radio and TV stations.....

...I asked my local one last time I was there and they said &#39;Oh, the Green KPMs ? We still use those on air &#33;&#39;.
            Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (sermad @ Mar. 19 2004,14:26)]Also it pays to know all the no&#39;s by heart and what is good on a specific record. I don&#39;t know kpm big beat by its name - to me its 1044.
              serms treats everyone like a number, too. when he phones me up he calls me number 42, for example.

it really is a case of legwork, though. one thing to remember is not to throw money at pieces with a high price if possible - i couldn&#39;t afford to spend £200 on a &#39;big&#39; kpm, for example. there is a good chance that one will turn up cheaper if you dig around long enough. although, i&#39;m still waiting to find a 1044.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]When you say &quot;phonecalls&quot; who you phoning?

How did you get into it. What was your best find, and how&#39;d it come about?
                .. phoning record shops and old school dealers (the subject of much recent discussion)... before all this internet malarkey, when you still had to talk to people and cut a deal whilst looking them straight in the eye

I got into libraries after looking at and buying jazz records from Ollie Casbah&#39;s lists about a decade ago.

Best find = a lot of the libraries listed on the website, from charity shops. I think the last one I found in a charity shop was &quot;Synthesis&quot;, but we&#39;re going back a couple of years...

Best story = &quot;how to turn 3 and a half quid into Vocal Shades And Tones in four easy steps&quot;...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Yeah hitting up radio stations, tv stations, community radio and all that worked quite well in the mid 90&#39;s. People who were up on it way before me did the big stations and got some ridiculous stuff.

Myself - I got into it when I found a load of kpms in a skip. They had just gutted a recording studio and there was loads of gear there. What caught my eye was this big knackered farfisa organ. I tried to nick it but settled for an arm full of records instead. When I got home and found out there were some prize tracks, I went back and got as many as I could. Thats why most of my kpms are utterly f**ked.

Also record fairs are really good for libs. I pulled a never before seen studio G for a quid at the wembley fair last year. I saw box loads of libs that day but didn&#39;t found much else.

Comment

What they said above&#33;

There&#39;s a lot of luck involved too - the majority of my stuff came from one &#39;right place, right time&#39; occasion and then being given a hefty collection in lieu of some payment for DJing.

Anyone ever tried putting in a wants in RC etc?
                    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

a lot of mine came from the BBC Bristol studio when they got rid of them. Unfortunately that was about 1990 and I knew f**k all about library records then so I&#39;m sure I left masses behind...I actually got them from Bristol Scrapsore where a friend worked - the rest were going to children&#39;s groups for creative play. So some parents probably got given lovely ashtrays and lampshades made out of chappells, bosworths, conroys and dewolfes.
                      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

i think it&#39;s the same for all records not just libraries .... ask around and be lucky ...

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Hey John. You ever think of doing a Vultures guide to Bristol? If you do and want some help, don&#39;t hesitate to ask.

Comment

Another handy tip is to have a word with the managers of chiridee shops, sometimes they have a notice board or a book under the counter for folk to put in requests for &#39;wanted items&#39; i&#39;ve gone down this route and has served me fairly well in the past, turning up some real heavyweight libraries. Also put ads in yer local second hand advertisment papers under the wanted section, depending on yer location this can cost peanuts and again yeilds &#39;interesting&#39; results. What the chaps reccomend above is good advice, and there is no substitute for poundin&#39; the pavements and gettin&#39; out there amongst the shops/booters etc.
                              derelicts of dialect

Comment

Working...
                              X