Excess Vinyl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excess Vinyl

Spent the weekend moving a load of records that are surplus to my current requirements (i think). This has finally made me realise that things have got out of hand and i need to stop accumulating vinyl at the rate i do. I did end up picking out 150 really interesting looking LP's from this lot that i need to have another listen too, along with the 200 or so that are kicking around my room waiting for the same Haven't even started on 45's

Please tell me that i'm not alone in having so much that i need to get rid of

(Look out for mucho trades in the near future I'd also love to to a massive freebie thing but don't have many mailers at the moment (what do you lot do regarding this ?))
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Originally posted by TOWNY View Post
    Please tell me that i'm not alone in having so much that i need to get rid of
    I feel your pain mate! I'm in the same position.

You've seen my records - for people who haven't, I've got two (5 x 5) expedits - and I'd say I should be getting rid of half of them.

If I was being really ruthless it would be a lot more!

Where do they all come from?
    Last edited by Saint Jude; 06-04-2008, 09:13 PM.
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by TOWNY View Post
      (Look out for mucho trades in the near future I'd also love to to a massive freebie thing but don't have many mailers at the moment (what do you lot do regarding this ?))
      I come and collect

Seriously though, I tend to recycle old and tatty ones rather than use new ones.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

You are not alone...

Hi Mate - you are definitely not alone...

I just moved to NY and hauled this lot over plus a few boxes of 12s and 7s - so several hundred unwanted LPs were dispersed around friends, hidden in attics, or returned to the charity shops they came from.

Of course in no time I've accumulated from local thrift stores almost as many as I chucked away before I left. Maybe the solution is a one-in-one-out policy...
        Attached Files

Comment

all them are spare/ not needed? or have i read it wrong?
          instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by eric-adams View Post
            all them are spare/ not needed? or have i read it wrong?
            No, you haven't read it wrong!
            it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
            take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

I reckon a massive VG+ record fair could be the order of the day, perhaps tied in with other like minded boards like Brownswood, Soul Strut and DJ History?

Those NY fairs with food and DJ's always look really good and I don't think anyone in the UK has done anything similar.

Mind you, I'd probably end up buying more than I sold!
              Last edited by Saint Jude; 06-04-2008, 09:25 PM.

Comment

bloody hell!

well if theres any folk in there ill take it off your hands

i gave about 1000 records to charity over 2006 / 2007 mostly stuff i couldnt sell or boot sale though so nothing good heh
                instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

yup this happened to me too.. my frontroom became a hellhole of records and music equipment which is why i stopped digging because the compulsiveness and lack of space was deffo affecting my mental health .. i probbly had about 1500-2000 lps but i threw at least 300-400 lp turds and 100+ 45s in the skip (most the 45s were trashed and sleeveless soul some of it could have been good but teh hiss was too much),gave away all my prog/vv classics/drum break doubles etc and now i'm back to a manageable level with less chuff and my front room is actually pleasant to be in... i also cleared out my cupboad of junk and furniture i dont have room for(it took me a good while to get round to it mine) and i keep a lot of my 45s and less played lps in there now.. my problem is all the shitty stuff i keep just for sample..it's sad but some of the best stuff to sample is on records that are shit to listen to all the way through i also realized near 70% of my collection that i've kept is pretty much prog or folk and psych with prog leanings..now i know for sure there is no hope for me

towny you know you've got too many when the records you need to get rid of are about the size of all my records i've kept .. good luck !!
                  Last edited by Snoop God; 06-04-2008, 09:23 PM.
                  https://soundcloud.com/vapor-teh-apparition
                  https://soundcloud.com/don-pachi-aka-bling-laden
                  https://soundcloud.com/charlie-chong-snoop-god

Comment

another otrick would be to always have a few piles of lps in your boot or summat townie.. then you could just offload loads of them when you go digging in exchange for one or 2 things you would actually want
                    https://soundcloud.com/vapor-teh-apparition
                    https://soundcloud.com/don-pachi-aka-bling-laden
                    https://soundcloud.com/charlie-chong-snoop-god

Comment

I haven't got to that stage much as yet because i am still a newbie to this site and thus still colecting stuff like mad. i guess there will a point when i might reach that point of too much vinyl. However i have always been good at recycling stuff and weeding out the chaff from the wheat on a fairly regular basis. This happens about three times a year and it always pains me to do it but then lack of space is the major factor in doing it. I'm quite happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
                        I reckon a massive VG+ record fair could be the order of the day.
                        This idea has crossed my mind as well. I'd happily host a VV "swap-meet" in the back garden one summer saturday. Lay out your boxes on the lawn, mooch around, do a bit of a barbeque..... hmmm, anybody fancy that? A VV garden party!!

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Anything I haven't used or listened to for a year or so I usually give a quick needledrop and realize I don't need it. It's a nice feeling to clear out a few boxes of records, but then it's just a matter of weeks before they're replaced by new ones

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Jude View Post
                            I feel your pain mate! I'm in the same position.

You've seen my records - for people who haven't, I've got two (5 x 5) expedits - and I'd say I should be getting rid of half of them.

If I was being really ruthless it would be a lot more!

Where do they all come from?
                            It's fookin ridiculous mate Trouble is i keep pulling the odd interesting thing and it blows me away ! taste changes what ?

Comment

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
                              I come and collect

Seriously though, I tend to recycle old and tatty ones rather than use new ones.
                              Me too but i've clean run out and as i'm not really buying much if anything mail order they aren't accumulating Looks like i'll have to spuff some money on new ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X