David holmes - cherrystones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David holmes - cherrystones

Has anyone got a promo of this mix and can post up a tracklisting?

Has it got anything to do with gareth cherrystones? I'm well confused.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Wasn&#39;t there an earlier post about this with a link? I&#39;m confused as well now&#33;
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Think it was all amply covered here:

Hidden Charms
      There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Mar. 19 2004,15:10)]Wasn&#39;t there an earlier post about this with a link? I&#39;m confused as well now&#33;
        Yep, see earlier post. Noone here quite understands the dynamics of the David Holmes/Cherrystones involvement.. So who did what? And why couldn&#39;t one of them have done it on their own?
        Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Well I&#39;ll email gareth to ask. I didn&#39;t know it was out on universal. Means I can get a free copy which is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (vibra @ Mar. 19 2004,16:42)]Noone here quite understands the dynamics of the David Holmes/Cherrystones involvement.. So who did what? And why couldn&#39;t one of them have done it on their own?
            gareth compiled the lp,david holmes released it on his label (13 amp)....

Comment

Hope they cleared more of the tracks than they did on that last 13 Amp compilation

Comment

cherrystones - hidden charms pr details

Cherrystones ‘Hidden Charms’

Various Artists

13 Amp/Family Recordings

March 29

‘Hidden Charms’ is the latest compilation from the same Holmes stable, which previously delivered the impeccable ‘Come Get It I Got It’ collection of some of the of the best tunes you’d never heard before. This time, the genre-defying selection is provided by Holmes’ associate and occasional vinyl pimp Cherrystones, who has riffled through his wondrous and rare collection to bring you the aptly named ‘Hidden Charms’ ranged now before you.

HereÂ’s what he has to say on the matter:

In this world there seems to be a lot of room and time committed to nostalgia. This only seems valid, however, if by looking back there is a sense of personal relevance, which somehow reinforces the sentiment. The selection you have in front of you is an overview of some great old records - devoid of any yearnings for the good old days.

There are - and always have been - bands seeking to recreate a certain perfect old sound. But the innovators they search out are often overlooked in their own time, only to be plundered by sound curators in years to come.

All the records contained here have served me well in many a DJ situation; back-to-back with their forward-thinking offspring. These little jewels have provided excitement in my life, and will hopefully now do so among new discerning listeners with ears for a nice melody, a strong hook and a good arrangement - or maybe just an unusual groove. I hope they do the same for you.

Cherrystones

Tracklisting:

1/. Ennio Morricone Svolta Definitiva

2/. Shadow Mann Shadow Mann

3/. Mashmakhan Afraid of Losing You

4/. Die Anderen Neurotic Reaction

5/. The Bad Boys Black Olives

6/. Zoot Money &amp; The Big Roll Band The Mound Moves

7/. Shocking Blue Hot Sand

8/. The Shadows Scotch on the Socks

9/. Marsha Hunt Hot Rod Poppa

10/. Dynastie Crisis Faust 72

11/. The Soul-Men Sister Sue

12/. Cher I Walk On Gilded Splinters

13/. Roosevelt Fountain (And Pens of Rhythm) Red Pepper Pt 1

14/. Little Joe Cook &amp; The Thrillers Peanuts Â’68

15/. Bugsy I Can Tell

16/. Bugsy Rush Hour

Track notes:-

1/. Ennio Morricone - Svolta Definitiva.

From the master of soundtracks comes this Italian psycho-funk jewel. Taken from the hard-to-obtain (ost) ‘Cita Violenta’, which stars Charles Bronson as a revenge-fuelled hitman. Visually it is as amazing as its score, with directional duties by cult legend Sergio Sollima and musical direction by Bruno Nicolai. Seek it out&#33;

2/. Shadow Mann - Shadow Mann.

Out of the dark he creeps brandishing his own mutant hybrid of rockÂ’nÂ’roll Who is he? I do not know. Maintaining the mystery sewn by his pseudonym, all I can tell you is that a Mr Bernard Purdie is thanked on the sleeve - making the backbeat self- explanatory.

3/. Mashmakhan - Afraid of Losing You.

These Montreal-based psych rockers were previously known as The Phantoms, The Dominoes and Triangle. They recorded seven singles and two LPs between 1970 - 73. The selected track is taken from their self-titled LP purely for its overlooked quality - in spite of psych and hip-hop collectors plundering it for other reasons.

4/. Die Anderen - Neurotic Reaction.

An Italian/German 60’s beat band, whose song ‘Neurotic Reaction’ is almost glam rock with its Sweet-esque vocals and heavy, choppy guitar riff. They recorded one LP entitled ‘Kannibal Komix’ and were later known as Apocalypse.

5/. The Bad Boys - Black Olives.

Back to the garage. This trio of (bad) boys were from Frederick, Maryland. From 1966, this was the B-side of their only release. The other side, ‘Love’, is a more typical garage/punk affair.

6/. Zoot Money &amp; The Big Roll Band - The Mound Moves.

Zoot Money aka George Bruno is a respected player within the 60’s beat music scene for his unique blend of jazz, R&amp;B and soul. ‘The Mound Moves’ is a testament to this blend, with its hard, brooding keys and sleazy, stinging guitar, supplied by no other than Andy Somers (later Andy Summers of The Police), who also co-wrote the track. Tracks of this ilk are few and far between within this genre, hence its inclusion.

7/. Shocking Blue - Hot Sand.

A Dutch pop band with decided contemporary trend tendencies. Their big hit was ‘Venus’. This is the b-side, a tale of idyllic situations and supposed ideals, Tongue in cheek, with its sitars yearning for wisdom. Nirvana covered ‘Love Buzz’, another one of their better tunes early on in their career.

8/. The Shadows - Scotch on the Socks.

Maybe not the coolest band to mention in conversation, but forget that&#33; Listen to this and be surprised by its dynamic guitars, complete with march-like grunts. Taken from the ‘Dreams I Dream’ single from 1966, this is a hard and surprisingly rare record to find.

9/. Marsha Hunt - Hot Rod Poppa.

Written by glam rock idol and proto-punk icon Marc Bolan, Â’Hot Rod PoppaÂ’, covered here by Marsha Hunt, is a tale of Mustangs, LeviÂ’s, baseball boots and grease. All the ingredients for a delinquent 50Â’s rumble. Her treatment is mean and funky - she means business.

10/. Dynastie Crisis Faust 72.

A French band with previous members associated with other prog rock acts Martin Circus and Triangle. Â’Faust 72Â’ is pure Euro funk-rock, with a bassline production that would leave many a producer envious. All this is put together with a Farfisa organ lead and drizzled with fuzz savoir faire&#33;

11/. The Soul-Men - Sister Sue.

A complete mystery, as there seems to be little documentation of 60’s strip/burlesque music&#33; Once again, a B-side to a rough and tough garage/punker, entitled ‘Roadhouse’. There is a clue to ‘Sister Sue’, as its writing credit is H. Nilsson. Could this be the same man of ‘The Point’ and ‘Rainmaker’ fame? Anybody know?

13/. Roosevelt Fountain (&amp; Pens of Rhythm) - Red Pepper Pt.1.

From Detroit 1963, with a penchant for the burlesque/nudie groove, little is known about this man or band.

14/. Little Joe Cook &amp; The Thrillers - Peanuts ‘68.

When I first heard this I was amazed&#33; ‘Peanuts ‘68’ is a re-vamped and funky version of his earlier ‘Peanuts’ hit, which reached No.22 in the Billboard charts in 1957. Based in Philly, Little Joe recorded doo-wop, and also cut a funk single called ‘Funky Hump’. This track is really serious with the bassline and horns leaving no room for compromise - all with Joe’s high- pitched vocals wailing away. Perfect.

15/. &amp; 16/. Bugsy - I Can Tell and Rush Hour.

Bugsy Maugh, one time bassist for Chicago’s Paul Butterfield of the Blues Band fame, recorded two LPs of which I am aware. These two tracks are from the LP entitled ‘Inside Bugsy’. Firstly we have the Bo Diddley cover ‘I Can Tell’, which is approached with a funky perspective. John Guerin supplies the drums (trainspotters note - he also played on David Axelrod’s ‘The Auction’LP). ‘Rush Hour’ is a different affair altogether and, if I wanted to simplify things. I could say it was folk-funk. I would rather suggest it is simply a good song with a lot of accent on the rhythm and maybe a nice tempo to bind this compilation together.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (sermad @ Mar. 25 2004,17:19)]There are - and always have been - bands seeking to recreate a certain perfect old sound. But the innovators they search out are often overlooked in their own time, only to be plundered by sound curators in years to come.
                  Very well put.

I&#39;m, replying to all posts while I wait for NYPD Blue to come on... I&#39;ve always thought it would be great to have a Mike Post NYPD Blue album - the guy must have a collected output of sampled/built from scratch NYC beat tunes that outweighs everyone else on the planet&#33; I remember joking with my flatmate of a Mike Post remix of some Beastie Boys track like Hey Ladies... It would be soooo dope&#33; Ha ha&#33;

http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

What are the notes for Cher&#39;s &#39;I Walk On Guilded Splinters&#39; Sermad?
                    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Anyone know if this comp is out on vinyl at all? I was told by a dealer that the vinyl version has been &quot;pulled&quot; - seems a bit fishy to me.
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

No clearance maybe?
                        http://wakeupanddie.com
                        http://weirdgearnyc.com
                        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Working...
                        X