Wall of sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall of sound

Found a load of Wall of Sound Promos today in a charity, don't know anything really about the label except for a good friend of mine from Eastbourne, Dan Pepe, he of the Zoe Ball, Norman Cook love triangle, was on it (found two of his records&#33

Anything on the label sought after?

Found about 30 other things, can't be arsed to list them and I know none of you really care

Did find a BBC record for a kids show I can't remember, anyone know Rubovia?

Oh yeah, I found a great picture disc 12" Mr T's Ten Commandments, I ain't going on no plane fool!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Mar. 19 2004,19:17)]Oh yeah, I found a great picture disc 12" Mr T's Ten Commandments, I ain't going on no plane fool!
      is that the one with "don't talk to strangers"?

check out the 808s on that track!

Comment

there was that track with the 'hey carlito' sample, don't remember what it was called tho - by the wiseguys perhaps !?!

Comment

Akasha's 'Brown sugar' comes with a very nice drum 'n' bass remix, but i cant remember whodunnit. Oooer, drum 'n' bass missus!.
          derelicts of dialect

Comment

the track that everyone was after for awhile was by pressure drop.. could be the carlito's way sample, actually.. can't remember the title for the life of me

Comment

Pick up all the wiseguys things. Akasha were really good. The drum n bass remix was by PFM I think. Mekon are also decent in parts too. It depends if you like beat heavy music.

Nothing is sort after really. The promo's come in generic WOS sleeves so they miss the cover art btw. The 'mad' frankie frasier one was cool.
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Yer right Serm, PFM did the remix, and they made some fookin&#39; blindin&#39; tunes on Danny Bukems GoodLookingRecords label, in fact i think i&#39;ve got a load of GLR white labels somewhere. I can feel a early to mid nineties d &#39;n b fookin&#39; revival commin&#39; on....
                derelicts of dialect

Comment

If Mekon feat. Schooly D&#39;s Skool&#39;s Out is among them, I&#39;m looking for that. I&#39;ve only got the 7 and that doesn&#39;t have the best mix on it.
                  http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Really like Akasha &quot;Jazadelica&quot; EP, includes the beautiful track &quot;Mescalin&quot;.
                    Also still feelin that Zoot Woman &quot;Sweet to the Wind&quot; EP.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (rolex baxter @ Mar. 19 2004,22:44)]there was that track with the &#39;hey carlito&#39; sample, don&#39;t remember what it was called tho - by the wiseguys perhaps &#33;?&#33;
                      Ceasefire - Trickshot

I think it was a Derek Delarge record wasn&#39;t it? Great track. Just to agree with people The Wiseguys, Dirty Beatniks, Akasha, Zoot Woman, Agent Provocateur, a couple of the Mekons (the Schooly D and that ragga one) are all rocking my yaucht. I think all those early comps were the best stuff they did. Not all WoS artists though.

To answer llmod1&#39;s question, I don&#39;t think anything&#39;s particularly sought after or valuable at the minute. I&#39;ve put a few on ebay and they&#39;ve sold for very little or nothing at all. It&#39;s the sort of stuff you want to bung in a box and hide them away for 20 years. The whole &#39;big beat&#39; things is a bit of a bad memory to people I guess.

I&#39;ve got a copy of the Mekon with Mad Frankie Frasier for trade if anyone&#39;s interested.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Mar. 19 2004,19:14)]Found a load of Wall of Sound Promos today in a charity, don&#39;t know anything really about the label except for a good friend of mine from Eastbourne, Dan Pepe
                        Dan Pepe as in one of the guys in Themroc and formerly of Mekon fame?

but yeah, the earlier WOS stuff was amazing. I&#39;m especially fond of the firt Les Rhythm Digitales-Liberation lp, Wall Of Pussy comp, Akasha, Ceasefire vs Deadly Avenger, etc.

but as Blighted mentioned, big beat has kinda left a bad taste in people&#39;s mouths so some of that stuff isn&#39;t worth much. on a similar note, I saw DJ Krush a couple years ago and the local opening DJ played nothing but played out big beat circa &#39;96. I wanted to throw my beer bottle at the guy. I mean for fuck&#39;s sake, if you&#39;re gonna open for DJ Krush at least play something new or something that no one has heard before....his set was a bit obvious.

Comment

up against the wall - pressure drop. on the &#39;give &#39;em enough dope vol 2&#39; compilation, although it later appeared on one of their own EPs later as well. always my personal favourite.

Comment

No one mentioned The Propellerhead&#39;s &quot;Dive EP&quot;

Which contains &quot;Go Faster&quot; ....probably the best track they ever did
                            "Its not punishment they need, Its gunishment"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Mar. 20 2004,11:30)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (rolex baxter @ Mar. 19 2004,22:44)]there was that track with the &#39;hey carlito&#39; sample, don&#39;t remember what it was called tho - by the wiseguys perhaps &#33;?&#33;
                              Ceasefire - Trickshot

I think it was a Derek Delarge record wasn&#39;t it? Great track.
                              Derek Dahlarge was in Ceasefire, but all he contributed to this track was the audio snippets from the film Carlitos Way.

It was the other two that did all the music. Them being Jason O&#39;Brien (used to be signed to Kingsize as Red Myers and now the bassist with the Dub Pistols), and Mark Pember aka breakbeat &#39;legend&#39; Meat Katie.

That&#39;s why the song was so bloody good. Shame the profits went up Dahlarges shnozz.

Comment

Working...
                              X