Smelly records...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelly records...

anyone know any good tips for eradicating that musty smell that comes with records occasionally? you know, the one where the record smells like it hasn't been exposed to air for about 30 years

apart from the obvious tip of not buying so many old records, which isn't gonna happen

I find that the smell gradually vanishes when you've had them in the house for a bit.

This goes for most smells with the exception of cat piss, the smell of which never seems to go away once ingrained in to a sleeve.
    Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Mar. 18 2004,22:42)]I find that the smell gradually vanishes when you've had them in the house for a bit.

This goes for most smells with the exception of cat piss, the smell of which never seems to go away once ingrained in to a sleeve.
      The cat piss smell does fade, but it's a bit like Uranium, it just takes generations to clear...
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

There's this greasy fella who always has a stall at the Norwich VIP fair, mainly rock'n'roll stuff, anyway, all his stock smells of vomit. I kid you not!
        Only ever bought one thing off him (Poets Strike Cola 45)
        Here's the disturbing bit, Each time I go to the fair I still have to go and have a sniff of his stock to remind myself how foul his 33rpm Brazilian Hollies EPs really are. Yuck. Can't help myself. Double Yuck.

Here's a KPM 1044 is EX condition - cover shows some wear:
        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

I&#39;ve got a mate (disco dave) who works in an undertakers, now the fookin&#39; weird steez is, the showroom where they display all the coffins fer the perusal of prospective buyers smells of..........yep you guessed it, old records&#33;. Do not ask me to attach any significance to this.
          It&#39;s just a slightly bobbins observation really.
          derelicts of dialect

Comment

Why would you want to eradicate that smell?Old records have the 2nd best smell in the world
            Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Mar. 19 2004,22:03)]There&#39;s this greasy fella who always has a stall at the Norwich VIP fair, mainly rock&#39;n&#39;roll stuff, anyway, all his stock smells of vomit.  I kid you not&#33;
              is he the weasel looking fellow, slicked back hair, quite small?
              I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (vinylism @ Mar. 19 2004,21:03)]anyone know any good tips for eradicating that musty smell that comes with records occasionally? you know, the one where the record smells like it hasn&#39;t been exposed to air for about 30 years

apart from the obvious tip of not buying so many old records, which isn&#39;t gonna happen
                Ok here&#39;s a tip. I&#39;ve never tried it myself, but a collector friend does this all the time. He uses baby powder inside the sleeve. He leaves it there for a day or two and let&#39;s the sleeve catch a little sunlight. Works wonders, according to him...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (happy monster @ Mar. 20 2004,20:54)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Mar. 19 2004,22:03)]There&#39;s this greasy fella who always has a stall at the Norwich VIP fair, mainly rock&#39;n&#39;roll stuff, anyway, all his stock smells of vomit.  I kid you not&#33;
                  is he the weasel looking fellow, slicked back hair, quite small?
                  That&#39;s the fella - go and have a sniff...
                  new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Mar. 21 2004,08:50)]That&#39;s the fella - go and have a sniff...
                    yeah i know of him, i used to have a stall at the norwich vip record fairs between 96 &amp; 98, i sold mainly industrial, punk, hardcore, US alt &amp; indie, those were the days, before eBay made us all lazy.
                    I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (mundayschild @ Mar. 19 2004,22:37)]I&#39;ve got a mate (disco dave) who works in an undertakers, now the fookin&#39; weird steez is, the showroom where they display all the coffins fer the perusal of prospective buyers smells of..........yep you guessed it, old records&#33;. Do not ask me to attach any significance to this.
                      It&#39;s just a slightly bobbins observation really.
                      I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that formaldehyde (the main ingredient of embalming fluid) is present in vinyl - perhaps that&#39;s what you&#39;re smelling?

I used to love the smell of the old record box my parents had - still got it, actually, but the days when the entire record collection could fit into it have long gone......

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Mar. 19 2004,22:03)]Here&#39;s a KPM 1044 is EX condition - cover shows some wear:
                        A guy I knwo who works as a comics deale ronce encountered something graded as &quot;Would Grade Mint if not for shit stain&quot;. Nice.

Aka &quot;would not grade anywhere near mint as it has shit stain&quot;. Some people eh? Wait for the lp listed as &quot;Would grade mint if not for dirt and scrathes&quot;
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

My records always smell of cigarettes. Smoking while DJing or just with them nearby should override the musty smell, and give you cancer too. Bargain.
                          http://wakeupanddie.com
                          http://weirdgearnyc.com
                          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Mar. 22 2004,11:21)]A guy I knwo who works as a comics deale ronce encountered something graded as &quot;Would Grade Mint if not for shit stain&quot;. Nice.
                            Ah yes, suspicious brown stains on records - always make me feel a bit uneasy.  Sort of &#39;No, it can&#39;t be what I think it is....can it?&#39;

I&#39;ve got a Stereoaction Orchestra LP which had obviously been previously owned by a 100-fags-a-day man - the inner sleeve was totally brown, except for one corner, which must have been folded over for about thirty years, and when lifted up revealed pristine white paper underneath.....urgh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Mar. 22 2004,13:18)]Ah yes, suspicious brown stains on records - always make me feel a bit uneasy.  Sort of &#39;No, it can&#39;t be what I think it is....can it?&#39;

I&#39;ve got a Stereoaction Orchestra LP which had obviously been previously owned by a 100-fags-a-day man
                              i remember when i got hold of my vic flick album and the inner sleeve looked like it had been spattered with blood - i disposed of said inner sleeve right away, with industrial strength gloves if i remember rightly.

stereo action orchestra, eh? best version of &quot;windmills of your mind&quot; ever&#33;

Comment

Working...
                              X