This morning's finds....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This morning's finds....

Despite the fact that the weather has been wet & windy to almost biblical proportions with weekend, awoke this morning to blue skies, so hit the boot sale.

Overall, my first two visits (which is all I've managed in 2004) seem to indicate a certain paucity of the £1 bargains that are my staple. Hopefully when the private sellers start to appear a bit more often once the temperature starts to warm up, I'll be able to be a bit more thrifty. The semi-dealer stalls seem to be increasing in price.... £3 for an LP seems to be becoming the norm. Makes me *alot* more choosy on what I buy.

Anyway, this mornings tenner got me these....

Georgie Fame - Sweet Things (Columbia LP)
    'Music Talk', Right Your Pony', 'Seesaw'. Been looking for a cheap copy for a while, and while this looks trashed with surface marks, it plays without noise. If only LPs were still pressed on such quality wax.

Various - Afro Rock Festival (Contour LP)
    Another long time search is rewarded....

John Keating - Space Experience (Studio 2 Quad LP)
    OK, it was a whole £3, but for a minty quad copy I bit my lip and paid the money. Still pound for pound the best value 'deep easy' LP out there.

John Keating Incroporated - Hits In HiFi 1 (Studio 2 Stereo Syntronic LP)
    Another long time wait fulfilled today. Supposed to be out there for pence, but this is the first one I've ever seen. Minter too.

Paddy Kingsland - Supercharged (Studio 2 Stereo Syntronic LP)
    And the long time searched for LPs keep on coming. Another minter.

The Harry Roche Constellation - Spindrift (Studio 2 Stereo LP)
    For some reason I thought I already had this in the racks, but a recent search for it revealed no trace. Still my favourite version of 'Hawaii Five-O' bar none.

Howard Blake & His Combo - Hammond In Percussion (EMI LP)
    Finally a copy with a sleeve to replace my 'naked' copy. Won't hear a word said against 'The Shark' on this one.

So despite moaning about prices all the way home, a decent half bag full. Just hope the weather picks up soon for a some better attended sales.
    Matt Hero

the weather was WAY too bad in Bristol to even contemplate going out of the door, but had a decent day yesterday:

from the '5 for a pound' section in the MIND shop:
    Wolfetones LP
    Ray McVay - one with Return of Django
    Carpenters with the break
    Bugs Bunny comes to London
    Nicol Williamson live in LOndon (yes, the actor)
    Zorba the Greek s/t
    Promises, Promises s/t
    Prelude - Owl Creek Incident
    a bunch of bizarre spoken word
    some east european pop lps

elsewhere:
    Sweet Charity soundtrack
    Claude Denjean - Moog
    Adge Cutler and the Wurzels first lp
    Geoff Love - Big Terror Themes
    New Heavenly Blue - Educated Homegrown (mint but no
    sleeve)
    Zbigniew Namyslowski Modern Jazz Quartet - Lola (never seen this before - UK Decca from 1964)
    and best of all, a 200 pound classical lp to help finance my habit..

great stuff in the post this week too:

from VV trades - thank you very much, gentlemen.

Groupie Girl s/track
    Spotnicks 'Back in the race' lp
    a great pile of reggae 45's
    and some other nice bits.

from the net:

Various - Dawn Take-Away Concert (w/ Demon Fuzz 45-only track)
    John Gregory - Man for all seasons
    Sweeney Todd - Funky Meat Pies 45
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Ok, this morning here in Sunny Portugal on a beautiful antiques fair near the sea i got:

Hair - Musical Direction by Geoff Love supervised by Alyn Ainsworth (Uk Press) (major Minor Records)

Hair - Musical Direction by Geoff Love supervised by Alyn Ainsworth (US Press) (pickwick)

Pierre Henry - Dieu (Philips)

Pierre Henry - Le Voyage (Philips)

Pierre Henry - Le microphone bien temperé (INA Collection GRM)

Pierre Henry - Futuriste (Philips)

The Afro Blues Quintet Plus One (Jay Boy Special)

Funk Inc. - Superfunk (produced by Axelrod) (Prestige)

Laurindo Almeida - Guitar From Ipanema (Capitol)

Bossa Rio - Alegria (Blue Thumb)

James Last - Beach Party 3 (Polydor)

And that's it for today...

Comment

Well done guys... nice finds...

I got up and thought that the wind and rain had died down to an extent that the booters would be busy and lively in the warming spring sun, but alas this was not the case...

Hit two outdoor booters, got nothing. Only saw 3-4 little boxes of records, each one had a "Sound Of Music" in it. To top it off, by 9.30am the wind and rain returned with full force such that all I got this morning was soaked through and windswept. Bugger.

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Bit of a cheat, as had a nice lie in this morning - no boots that I know of yet anyway hereabouts. Still, was up in Leeds on Friday & hit a few charities up there: does Leeds have any second-hand record shops, by the way? Couldn’t find any. Still, a couple of nice finds - yet another copy each of ‘Jungle Fever Hammond Hits’ and ‘2nd Lightning Red' SGAs and:

ALQUIN: The Mountain Queen (Polydor)
          Dutch prog outfit, with a nice funky edge at times – especially on ‘Convicts Of The Air’, and the opening ‘The Dance’ with its hard drums and ‘World In Action’ style organ riffage.

VARIOUS: Sucessos Brasilieros - Hits From Brazil (London Globe)
          Very early – 1962 – set of Brazilian stuff, from the likes of Miltinho, Maysa, Simonetti, Agostinho and Elsa Laranjeira. Nice late 50s/early 60s samba/bossa gear.

Back in Nottingham yesterday morning, in a 5 for £1 bin at Carlton’s ‘Help The Aged’:

VARIOUS: The Official Album Of Walt Disney World (Disneyland)
          Souvenir LP featuring music from the rides & spectacles, picked up for the presence of ‘Main Street Electrical Parade’, aka Perrey-Kingsley’s ‘Baroque Hoedown’ extended & made, if anything, even more barmy than the original with extra circus noises, boings, bleeps and whistles. There’s also a nice enough bossa/samba called ‘Magic Journeys’ spoiled only by 80s production (reminds me of some of the stuff on el records or the Bungalow comps, funnily enough), and – for those of you into that sort of thing – a mental 80s electro track culled from ‘Star Tours Droid Rooms’.

SWINGLE SINGERS: Jazz Sebastien Bach (Philips)
          Yet another copy of the scat-jazz classic.

COUNT BASIE: BasieÂ’s Beatle Bag (Verve)
          Pretty much the big band jazz takes on the Beatles catalogue youÂ’d expect, nothing youÂ’d call remotely funky, but good tunes inventively arranged.

HUGO WINTERHALTER ORCHESTRA: Golden Hour OfÂ… (Musicor)
          Bought for a cool sleeve and intriguing tracklist, with very low expectations, but mostly pretty decent lounge/easy runs through ‘California Dreaming’, ‘Everybody’s Talking’, ‘Midnight Cowboy Theme’ and ‘A Taste Of Honey’ etc. But the reason this might be worth your pence should you see it is a nice take on ‘Airport Love Theme’ in a similar vein to ‘A Face In The Clouds’ or ‘Falling Free’.

GERALDO SINGERS & ORCHESTRA: Sweet & Swinging Hits Of The 60s (Major Minor)
          Pretty standard choral easy set, including the likes of ‘Cast Your Fate To The Wind’, ‘Up Up & Away’, ‘Can’t Take My Eyes Off You’ etc. Even the crap tunes (‘The Sound Of Music’, ‘Half A Sixpence’) are rendered just about palatable, but they needed to do something outstanding to lift this one – a ‘Daydream’ or ‘Superstition’. Unfortunately, they didn’t…
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

The weather's a bastard today. I woke up a little later than planned, looked outside and there was a beautiful blue sky. So I dived out of bed got ready, got my bits together, open the front door and it's pissing it down with rain. So I sat with my coat on and my record back hanging on my shoulder for about 15 minutes and then rain stopped and I went down to my usual Sunday morning boot sale. About a third on the normal amount of sellers there. Bugger all records. Got four 45s in the end.

Paliament - Tear The Roof Off.../P-Funk
            Jungle Brothers - What You Waiting 4? [ace Booker T sampling 'Promo #2' on the flip and the thinnest vinyl ever]
            Silver Bullet - 20 Seconds To Comply [classic UK hip hop]
            Maestro Fresh Wes - Let Your Backbone Slide [quality late eighties Canadian hip hop]

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Mar. 21 2004,12:43)]John Keating - Space Experience (Studio 2 Quad LP)
              OK, it was a whole £3, but for a minty quad copy I bit my lip and paid the money. Still pound for pound the best value 'deep easy' LP out there.
              How much does this go for? I found at a swap meet but left it behind because of the $25 pricetag. Was I wrong to do so?

as for this weeks finds

Comment

Was down in Wellington for a day and a half so I did a quick blitzkreig on the inner city record stores (unlike Auckland, they have more than one, though probably still less records)

Woody Herman "Heavy Exposure" (Chess 1969) - quite decent cross-fertilization between big band funk and old man jazz.

John Schroeder "Witchi Tai To" (PYE 197?) - up for trade.

Alan Tew "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" (CBS 1978) - has an interesting re-recording of the Hanged Man theme and lots of rather crap disco version of movies themes and such.

Larry Morris "Reputation Don't Matter Any More" (EMI 1976) - Kiwi rock musician does four years in jail for selling LSD and records a "yo whatever" LP upon his release. Has some funk.

Dr. John " I Been Hoodood" (Edsel, 1984) - 80s issue ccomprised of half tracks from "In The Right Place" and half from "Desitively Bonnaroo"

Allen Toussaint "Southern Nights" (Edsel, 1985) - 80s re-ish, originally 1975. This album is cool.

Mark Williams S/T (EMI, 1975) - Kiwi fancy boy does a decent "Love The One You're With" on this.

Van Morrision "Astral Weeks" (Warner, 197?) - someone told me to open my damn mind and listen to this. Guess if I don't like it I can flick it on to my old man (not that he has anything to play it on).

Lou Rawls "Carryin' On" (Capitol 1966)
                Lou Rawls "Too Much!" (Capitol 1967) - both Axelrod productions and nice enough. Cover photos and design are near identical, looks like the same photo shoot.

East of Eden "The World Of..." (Decca 1971) - not processed this one yet. Jig-A-Jig is of course completely ridiculous.

Free "Fire And Water" (Island, 197?) - vaguely interesting 70s rock with great drum production. I'm a sucker.

Top of the Pops - one with the lo-fi gangster version of "2001"

Teddy Riley "Nickel Bag of Swing" (Tuff City, 1994) - some kind of synthesizer/sample instrumental new jack swing thing. Interesting example of a musical cul-de-sac.

Steve Miller Band "The Joker" (Capitol, 1973) - don't front!!!!!

...plus more Loxene Golden Discs and that sort of thing...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Mar. 22 2004,02:41)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Mar. 21 2004,12:43)]John Keating - Space Experience (Studio 2 Quad LP)
                  How much does this go for? I found at a swap meet but left it behind because of the $25 pricetag. Was I wrong to do so?
                  You should get it, but you shouldn't pay $25 for it.
                  Someone around here will be able to hook you up.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Mar. 22 2004,02:41)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]John Keating - Space Experience (Studio 2 Quad LP)
                    25US sounds incredibly steep to me

its around here in oz, formigo sent me one for xmas then I pulled a minter from a thrift not long ago

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (formigo @ Mar. 22 2004,03:38)]Someone around here will be able to hook you up.
                      errrr, guzzo - hit me on the PM or email if you're keen, I might have a hair record or two you don't have as well  

Comment

My weekend finds:
                        Birds'n Brass are Back
                        Chacachas -New Sounds
                        El Chicano -s/t -"What's going on"

Comment

Now I've got my nice Quad pressing, I've got a couple of Stereo copies of 'Space Experience' spare.... so just in case Rolex has already shifted his copy, drop me a PM anyone.
                          Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Mar. 22 2004,02:41)]as for this weeks finds
                            Gone on then, Guzzo. Make us all feel sick and tell us how much you paid for the Roy Porter...

As for finds, well not the same, but a Curtis Knight Zeus - Devil Made Me Do It 45 and a Chiyo Okimura managed to sneak through my letter box this morning, but of course I can't check the fuckers out... (see my post called aarrrgh)
                            http://wakeupanddie.com
                            http://weirdgearnyc.com
                            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Mar. 22 2004,10:42)]
                              Gone on then, Guzzo. Make us all feel sick and tell us how much you paid for the Roy Porter...
                              The Roy Porter was from a trade. I had to come out of some pretty big stuff to get it but it was seriously worth it.

Does anyone else here dig the Hammersmith is ut OST as much as I am? Its really on some serious "Vinyl Vulture Vibe" type stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X