Charity hilarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity hilarity

Well, it’s finally happened. On Saturday morning I actually managed to be in the right charity shop at the right time – just as a top collection of (mainly) early/mid 70s stuff was being put out in the racks. Two visits and 43 LPs later, these are the highlights:

The Pretty Things – S F Sorrow (Rare Earth)
    Tonite LetÂ’s All Make Love in London Plus OST (See For Miles re-issue)
    Tractor – Tractor (Dandelion)
    Bill Nelson – Northern Dream (Smile Records, mid-70s reissue)
    Randy California – Kapt Kopter and the (Fabulous) Twirly Birds (well, I read Mojo, innit?)
    Betty Wright – I Love The Way You Love
    Don Covay – Super Dude 1 (great version of ‘Money [That’s What I Want]’ – is this widely known?]
    Curtis Mayfield – Curtis (Buddah)
    Super Fly TNT OST
    BT Express – Do It (Til You’re Satisfied)
    Rufus and Chaka Khan – Rags to Rufus
    Gonzalez – Gonzalez
    John Martyn – Solid Air
    Various – Afro Rock Festival (Contour)
    Charge – Charge
    Hummingbird – Hummingbird

Plus a pile of Free LPs, four Pete Atkin/Clive James albums, some early 70s rock for onward transmission (Trapeze, anyone? Joe Jammer? Hardstuff?) and some gap-filling XTC and the like. All for 99p each. So Tommo goes home with enough new listening for a month and the PDSA gets some extra cash towards the upkeep of an asthmatic hamster. Huzzah!
    The Pop Music Library

that randy kalifornia album is excellent. haven't heard it in years, nice find!
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Tommo of Sprowston @ Mar. 23 2004,08:53)]Don Covay – Super Dude 1 (great version of ‘Money [That’s What I Want]’ – is this widely known?]
      yes not that rare but "overtime man" is the track that got played alot ....

Comment

good stuff, PDSA often seem to be good for records, and one of the chains to usually keep to 50p a record

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Mar. 23 2004,10:59)]good stuff, PDSA often seem to be good for records, and one of the chains to usually keep to 50p a record
          It's stange - the Cancer Research and British Heart Foundation shops near me used to be terrific but they don't stock vinyl any more. And this is the first time PDSA have changed their stock in about four years! Not that there's much of it left now. I went back last night in case I'd missed anything or to see if more had materialised only to be greeted with Joe Loss and The World of Wales In Song.
          The Pop Music Library

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Tommo of Sprowston @ Mar. 23 2004,12:48)]It's stange - the Cancer Research and British Heart Foundation shops near me used to be terrific but they don't stock vinyl any more.
            And when they do, it's usually ludicrously over-priced (£3 a pop is common) - it seems to go hand-in-hand with giving the shops a poncy re-fit, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Mar. 22 2004,14:23)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Tommo of Sprowston @ Mar. 23 2004,12:48)]It's stange - the Cancer Research and British Heart Foundation shops near me used to be terrific but they don't stock vinyl any more.
              And when they do, it's usually ludicrously over-priced (£3 a pop is common) - it seems to go hand-in-hand with giving the shops a poncy re-fit, unfortunately.
              Ah, yes - the refit! Went into Cancer Research in Nottingham the other day, and the 'New Music Section' means that a new set of proper racks and the addition of plastic sleeves bumps up the price of a Duke Grant or Leo Sayer to £3.00. That said, it'll be interesting to see if they're going the way of the Book Price on interesting stuff when they do get it, and I certainly wouldn't object to a few Pete Moores or such like at £3 a pop. Think it's the combination of 'old rubbish you couldn't give away' and 'elevated prices' that discredits these upgrades...stuff those racks with minty £10 Moodys and £6 UK psych records and you won't find any complaints here!
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
              X