Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dennis farnon

Hey Vultures,

was listening to the BOOSEY & HAWKES lp "Sound Images" last night. Has some great spy jazz breaks amongst its grooves and the composer is Dennis Farnon. Is he any relation to Robert Farnon from the Chappell library?

David
    God bless Fatso.

brother

Comment

Correct - youngest of the three Farnon brothers, and still very active on the music scene.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (soundsville @ Mar. 23 2004,23:06)]Hey Vultures,

was listening to the BOOSEY & HAWKES lp "Sound Images" last night. Has some great spy jazz breaks amongst its grooves and the composer is Dennis Farnon. Is he any relation to Robert Farnon from the Chappell library?

David
        Is this the one with "Southbound", "Snowmobile", etc on it, credited to the Sound Studio Orchestra? I love that one. (My copy is coverless and no reference to "Sound Images" on the label...)
        Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Mar. 24 2004,16:19)]Is this the one with "Southbound", "Snowmobile", etc on it, credited to the Sound Studio Orchestra? I love that one. (My copy is coverless and no reference to "Sound Images" on the label...)
          Not sure, I don't have the lp with me but it has a track call Pardon Me Blues!
          My copy has a white sleve with no pic on it. Do these BH lp's come with picture sleeves??

David
          God bless Fatso.

Comment

B&H LPs usually have the same sleeve - a white band on the top third saying 'Boosey & Hawkes Recorded Music for film, radio and television', the remainder taken up with a pattern of concentric circles, with a sound wave-form running across it. Jolly nice, actually, and ripped off by Ace records for some surf guitar compilation CD a couple of years back.

From about 1979 onwards, they have 'Boosey and Hawkes' and the album title written across the sleeve diagonally in huge letters.

Most of the B&H LPs don't even bother to have titles, which makes identfying them a tricky business!

Comment

Also, check out Denis Farnon's 'Sugar and Spice' 1979 Chappell LP. A bit late, I know, but it contains some very good and atmospheric funk/disco-funk tracks.

Boosey & Hawkes (SBH 3034 - 'Pop/Jazz Themes&#39 also features Denis Farnon laying down the funk, too.
              Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Seventies Kid @ Mar. 25 2004,08:25)]Boosey & Hawkes (SBH 3034 - 'Pop/Jazz Themes&#39 also features Denis Farnon laying down the funk, too.
                Yeah, this one's pretty decent, one of the better records from my recent-ish library score.

(No, no media company clear-out or anything, just a whole bunch turning up at my local on the cheap, including way too many 80s KPMs and Parrys... no grails but there was niceness to be had.)

Comment

Working...
                X