Keith Manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Manifold

Just been listening to "Beat Incidental" KPM 1043. "Funky Fanfare (Small Group)" - Same Melody as KPM 1038B-8 Organ & Rhythm section only.

A) What is KPM 1038 B 8 ?

B) It's the same tune as James Royals' "House of Jack" and much of the Loot OST

All Keith Mansfield joints. Few too many Brandys Keith ? or he just couldn't be arsed that day
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

thats 'soul thing'? paul raven and tony newman also did excellent versions of that song

Comment

From recollection, Keith Mansfield is pretty honest about the 'recycling' of Funky Fanfare.

Apparently, he was originally supposed to write a B side for Tony Newman, a drummer who was signed to Decca. He'd done the track for KPM, but reused it for this supposed B side, which Decca liked so much it was used for the 'A'.

Not a hit, it was then reused *again* for the James Royal and Paul Raven (Gary Glitter) vocal tracks. Not heard 'Loot', but it was then covered again later on by one of Steve Hillage's projects which Rich has (can't remember the same).

While we're on the subject, any other versions of the tune that we should know about ?
      Matt Hero

Comment

The slow prog version is by Arzachel and they call it "Queen Street Gang". The Loot soundtrack doesn't have a direct "Soul Thing" version but a few of the tracks are reminiscent.
        Incidentally the James Royal LP has a track called "Little Red Wagon" on it which is basically a version of "Powerhouse Pop" with vocals.
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

From Sermads' peerless sound library site:

'Flamboyant Themes II' - (KPM 1038) - 1968

Side One

Cut To Size (Complete) - Syd Dale
          Cut To Size (Short Version) - Syd Dale
          Cut To Size (Brass Only) - Syd Dale
          Cut To Size (Brass Only) - Syd Dale
          Talking Point - Syd Dale
          Two Left Feet - Syd Dale
          Off Centre - Syd Dale
          Tongue Tied - Syd Dale
          Man Trap - Syd Dale
          Out of Step - Syd Dale

Side Two

Super Sell I-III - Keith Mansfield
          Velvet Brass I-III - Keith Mansfield
          Slow Rocker - Keith Mansfield
          Funky Fanfare - Keith Mansfield
          Boss-Eyed Whelk - Johnny Pearson
          Rave Up - Johnny Pearson
          Laughter On The March - David Lindup
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Cheers for the info, i've got 1038, doh ! I don't blame him for recycling stuff, good tunes, superbly produced.
            SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Does anyone know if Keith Mansfield has done any interviews, and if so, where I can read them?

Comment

wasnt there a nice bio of him on the kpm site? someone should put up that loot or arzachel up for next months realaudio clips!

Comment

how rare is the arzachel lp? Ive been after this for donkeys!
                  www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Not sure how rare, but i got one off Cal recently, great version.

Comment

I think the Arzachel version was called 'Queen Street Gang' because that was the title of a TV series that used 'Funky Fanfare' as its theme tune.

Hasn't Keith done two versions of this, '...Fanfare' on KPM and 'Soul Thing' on 'All You Need Is......'?

Comment

yep soul thing and funky fanfare are the same track.

funky fanfare is on at least 2 separate kpms - maybe 3. Too hungover to check...
                        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Re Keith Mansfield interviews - pretty sure there's one with him and Alan Hawkshaw in one of the early issues of Big Daddy, conducted (if you'll pardon the expression) prior to the KPM All Stars show at the Jazz Cafe a few years ago.

Comment

</span>
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Tricky Tree on 3:04 pm on April 18, 2003
                            Re Keith Mansfield interviews - pretty sure there's one with him and Alan Hawkshaw in one of the early issues of Big Daddy, conducted (if you'll pardon the expression) prior to the KPM All Stars show at the Jazz Cafe a few years ago.
                            <span =''>

Yup, issue 4 - pretty informative stuff too.

(Edited by vibra at 3:15 pm on April 18, 2003)
                            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

</span>
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Tricky Tree on 3:04 pm on April 18, 2003
                              <span =''>

Thanks for informing me. I've never seen a copy of Big Daddy, let alone read one so could anybody out there help me by scanning or photocopying me a copy of the Hawkshaw/Mansfield interview. Any help much appeciated. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X