Dj residencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dj residencies

sorry if this has been asked before but I'd like some advice from those of you that have residencies in clubs, bars or wherever. I finally got a car so I'd like to supplement my income by doing some DJing gigs around town.

-what's the best approach to getting a residency at a club or bar? should I solicit a mix cd and just send it to whichever club I'd like to play at?

-what sort of stuff should I send? a lot of clubs seem to have particular DJ's that play the same type of music--usually house, but I'd like to show that I have a bit more diversity with my tune selections. should I send a mixed bag of everything?

-what do DJ's typically get paid on any given night? is it a flat fee of $100 plus a bar tab? I'm sure it varies from city to city and country to country.

-should I send a mixed or unmixed cd? I can mix but I also feel that music selection is just as important if not more important than my mixing skills.

I eagerly await my answers from the Jedi Council.

Buy this book...  

(Sorry, I can't be of more help).
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

My advice:

For the CD, if you play a variety of styles, try making a couple of mixes with different feels. Keep them to about 8 - 12 mins or so, I can't envisage bar/club owners paying attention much longer than that, they're busy people. It also prevents the unscrupulous ones from just playing your CD, along with those by a bunch of other DJs looking for work, on weekday nights instead of hiring the real thing!

I don't think just dropping by with a CD and scarpering will get you guaranteed results. Check out the place if you don't know it, get talking to the manager and try to get a 'connection' with him. Follow up after giving them the CD, ask what they thought, even if they're booked out. Keep up the recognition by going back, but don't push it to the point of hassling them. They may be booked, but it's easily possible that a DJ may have to pull out at the last minute,s omake sure you're the first person the manager thinks of when he gets the phonecall...

As for fees, try talking to the other DJs to see how much they get. They may get more cos they've been there a while and proven themselves to show up on time, not piss off the crowd with excesive volume or inaccessible track selection etc. Once you have an idea of the sort of cash they pay out, you can negotiate a fee with the manager with more effectiveness. Maybe offer to do the first night for some drinks, on trial, see what he thinks - show him you're prepared to take a chance on him as he's prepared to take one on you...

It may help to compile a list of other places where you've played etc.

You've probably considered those things already. The most important thing I can say is to make sure you give the CD to the guy who does the hiring, in person. If he ain't there, come back later when he is, don't just leave it there.

As for mixed vs unmixed - deffo mixed, if not just to demonstrate that you can fade in and out, but don't overdo it.

The other Jedi's should be here shortly, once they've despatched a bunch of nasty looking Gabba DJs...
      http://wakeupanddie.com
      http://weirdgearnyc.com
      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Spot on advice from nick. If sending cd's to people don't just label it 'bar manager' or something. Get their name. Speak on the phone or go down there. Buy a drink and see if you think you'll like djing there.
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Mar. 26 2004,10:36)]Buy this book...  

(Sorry, I can&#39;t be of more help).
          Actually, Rich, I think Mech&#39;s based in the US, so he needs this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec....s=books

It&#39;s specially in &#39;American&#39; so our cousins can get down with the masterplan, or something similar.
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Mar. 26 2004,10:59)]Actually, Rich, I think Mech&#39;s based in the US, so he needs this:

It&#39;s specially in &#39;American&#39; so our cousins can get down with the masterplan, or something similar.
            I don&#39;t think this fella got down with the masterplan. Man.. what a doofus&#33;

&quot;Ha ha ha ha ha&#33;&#33;&#33;, March 24, 2004. Reviewer: Floyd&#39;s Garage (see more about me) from Pembroke Pines, FL USA  
            All I can say is that this is so ridiculous. I read this book at the library and I couldn&#39;t stop laughing. So DJs have talant? It takes years to master the &#39;art&#39; of playing a record? Listen to me and listen well, you want respect, girls, and money? Let the losers be DJs. Musicians with talant do just that, make music, with instruments. Go buy a guitar.

This book had some elementary basics on sound levels and accoustics, but clubs have people to do that while your setting up your band, so what&#39;s the point?&quot;
            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Floyd&#39;s &#39;reviews&#39; include a book called &#39;Farm Boy&#39;, &#39;Forrest Gump&#39;, a Garfield book, &#39;Blazing Saddles&#39; and &#39;The Jerk&#39;. I&#39;m told he&#39;s guesting on Newsnight Review with Kirsty Wark, Ekow Eshun and Germaine Greer tomorrow...
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Mar. 26 2004,10:59)]Actually, Rich, I think Mech&#39;s based in the US, so he needs this:

my god, that book looks horrible . do people actually buy these things?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (mech1 @ Mar. 26 2004,12:29)]
                  Originally posted by [b

my god, that book looks horrible   . do people actually buy these things?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (mech1 @ Mar. 26 2004,12:29)]
                    Originally posted by [b

my god, that book looks horrible   . do people actually buy these things?
                    Careful&#33; That&#39;s our very own ladyboygrimsby&#39;s handiwork, and I reckon he&#39;s pretty well qualified to offer advice. And it&#39;s a thoroughly enjoyable read, plenty of good suggestions and entertaining anecdotes. Have a look at the reviews on both Amazon UK and US - Mr. Garage appears to be the exception that proves the rule.   If this is the Jedi Council, he&#39;s Yoda...

Comment

oooops.
                      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Mar. 26 2004,12:35)]   If this is the Jedi Council, he&#39;s Yoda...
                        Steady on, ol&#39; bean. Pour some sugar on that love you&#39;re showin&#39;, cuzzin.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Belson @ Mar. 26 2004,13:35)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Mar. 26 2004,12:35)]   If this is the Jedi Council, he&#39;s Yoda...
                          Steady on, ol&#39; bean. Pour some sugar on that love you&#39;re showin&#39;, cuzzin.
                          And you&#39;re like Obi Wan, Greg.     Now, who&#39;s Darth? (Hang on, Ian bagged that job the other day).  

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Mar. 26 2004,13:42)]And you&#39;re like Obi Wan, Greg.     Now, who&#39;s Darth? (Hang on, Ian bagged that job the other day).  
                            I&#39;ld have thought Luke Pie-hawker was more apt.

Comment

Hey.. I don&#39;t even eat that many pies&#33;

Comment

Working...
                              X