Action drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action drive?

What's this compilation like? Saw it on Dusty Groove, some limited numbered library compilation... anyone know what the sound quality is like?

peace.

Yeah, I've got a copy of this.

From memory the sound quality is pretty decent. I haven't listened to it for a long while though.

Comment

sound quality's good. nice selection of tunes, too.

Comment

As wooly says...really good sound quality.
        I actually got it off ebay for an average price.

Some really fat funkers on this one!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, looks like it's a winner.

Can anyone else give me a list of excellent library comps? I'm trying to fatten my collection up. Dusty seems to have a lot of Euro/French comps, what are those like? I'm looking for hard stuff, funk, etc. not really after easy listening stuff.

A local store has a De Wolfe comp, Hard Hitter (?), if my memory serves me correct... what's that like?

peace.

Comment

i don't know if you mean the deWolfe comp "bite hard"? that's a good one, a bit of a classic now. hard-hitting funky and smoky stuff throughout.

other good library comps - the "music for dancefloors" series on the now defunct strut label.

"soho lounge heat" is a great comp of big funky spy jazz stuff from the boosey catalogue.

"setting the scene" on grooveattack is a nice kpm one.

there are loads more, but they're the ones that spring to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (DJ Sheep @ Mar. 28 2004,14:41)]A local store has a De Wolfe comp, Hard Hitter (?), if my memory serves me correct... what's that like?
              As Wooly says, you could mean the 'Bite Hard' comp or you could be talking about the full boot of Keith Papworth's 'Hard Hitter' LP which is doing the rounds at the minute. If it's got white labels & a white stickered diecut sleeve then it's the latter. Killer LP, you'd love it longtime:
              Speed Trap - Track Record - Race With Time - Fun Seeker - Hair Raiser - Stay With It - Inflation - Great Technique - Hard Hitter - No Way - Threes A Crowd - Big Dipper - Decisive Action - Challenger - Superdrive
              new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (wooly @ Mar. 28 2004,16:02)]&quot;soho lounge heat&quot; is a great comp of big funky spy jazz stuff from the boosey catalogue.
                And Boosey &amp; Hawkes have just released their own version of this with a different cover as one of their library CDs too - one to flog on eBay, if you can get one?

Some of the libraries have done their own non-commercial comps which are well worth tracking down - JW have done three CDs called &#39;Cheesy Listening&#39; (UGH&#33 which, judging by the tracklisting look pretty damn good. Shame I can&#39;t get hold of them, really.....

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Mar. 28 2004,17:09)]Some of the libraries have done their own non-commercial comps which are well worth tracking down
                  yes, deWolfe did one called &quot;70s, the original soundtrack&quot; which is excellent, like a &quot;bite hard&quot; comp but with even more tracks.

i also have a studio-g one called &quot;sounds of the 60s &amp; 70s&quot; (i think) which comps tracks from &quot;beat group&quot; and all that good stuff. it even features a track called &quot;snapper&quot; which was on during schools tv intervals. very nice.

there&#39;s a chappel one lying around as well - what&#39;s it called... &quot;archive - 60s spy themes&quot;.

the amphonic ones are really good, too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (wooly @ Mar. 28 2004,17:35)]i also have a studio-g one called &quot;sounds of the 60s &amp; 70s&quot; (i think) which comps tracks from &quot;beat group&quot; and all that good stuff. it even features a track called &quot;snapper&quot; which was on during schools tv intervals. very nice.
                    Oh, I didn&#39;t know &#39;Snapper&#39; was a schools interval track - I recently borrwed that Studio G one from one of the radio stations I work at. It&#39;s a bit good&#33;

There are quite a few good Chappell ones, including three volumes of &#39;Kitsch Pop&#39;, though quite a few of the tracks have been shortened, annoyingly.

The de Wolfe &#39;70s The Original Soundtrack&#39; is highly recommended, particularly as many of the tracks are appearing in stereo for the first time. Also good are the &#39;Cliche Favourites&#39; discs on Hudson, though they also have some less good modern tracks on them.

Bruton did &#39;Easy Listening TV Tunes&#39;, a brilliant compilation of Peer stuff, and there&#39;s also a 70s Action Series one, which I can&#39;t remember the details of.

KPM have done four good &#39;uns - &#39;The 60s&#39;, &#39;The 70s&#39; and &#39;Sounds Of The 60s &amp; 70s&#39; vols 1 &amp; 2 - most of the tracks are edited again, though.

Sonoton have come up with a few good compilations too, mostly containing stuff that originally appeared on Conroy over here.

There&#39;s also a strange one on Primrose Music called &#39;Delirium 1973&#39; - some Italian fuzz/prog/psych stuff. Very good - dunno where the tracks orignated from.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Mar. 28 2004,18:34)]Oh, I didn&#39;t know &#39;Snapper&#39; was a schools interval track - I recently borrwed that Studio G one from one of the radio stations I work at. It&#39;s a bit good&#33;
                      yes - and that &quot;find time&quot; track was on &quot;abigail&#39;s party&quot; as well.

Comment

I was just in Dusty&#39;s a few days back and they have three of them sitting there. I think it&#39;s the best KPM comp out there and would rate it above Soundclash, Setting the Scene and Struts &#39;The Cream of&#39; which are all very good btw... it&#39;s limited to a 1000. Sound and vinyl quality are very good.

The label, Finderfinger, have also just released &#39;Action Passing&#39; which comps some heat from Selected Sound and is equally brilliant. It does not seem to be limited like the KPM. And as a bonus, you get a remixed track (blow off steam) which is very tastefully done.

You may wanna check out the MP 2000 on Dare Dare, although their quality is usually suspect. The Sonorrisima&#39;s 1 and 2 on Black Cat contain some heavy weight tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Mar. 28 2004,18:34)]Oh, I didn&#39;t know &#39;Snapper&#39; was a schools interval track - I recently borrwed that Studio G one from one of the radio stations I work at. It&#39;s a bit good&#33;
                          i made a schoolboy error with that track - it&#39;s actually &quot;barracuda&quot;.

Comment

The Monteparsenne 2000 &quot;Best Of&quot; is pretty good.

Comment

hi there,
                              it&#39;s a long time ago since i meet some people of you here on the board. just to complete your discussion about action drive/finderfinger and the new selected sound comp(action passing):..
                              maybe the best way to get these compilations is to buy it from dusty groove or the wicked www.moviegrooves.com shop. on the moviegroove website you get also soundsnippets of every track&#33;&#33;&#33;...also timewarp distribution handles the compilations for the u.k.
                              and finderfinger records is a one man firm by myself. i&#39;m deeno from switzerland and running this label since 2 years. my aim is to put out solid quality and unique comps for you guys out there...hope you like it&#33;...
                              maybe i bring you still this year another comp of totally freaked out german library gear...if you have any improvement,ideas, questions or what else for my records/label, please let me now&#33;
                              thank you all
                              [email protected]
                              can you explain to me what this word means?

www.myspace.com/deenoakathedustybutton

Comment

Working...
                              X