Getting glue off vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting glue off vinyl

I found an LP last week and the cover had come unglued. Someone kindly left the record out of the inner sleeve and between the unglued outer sleeve. I guess it had been like that for a while and some of the glue has welded itself to the vinyl. It's water based and the bulk of it has come off with some gentle wet wiping and fingernail scrapping but the glue jammed in the grooves isn't so simple to remove. Anyone got any tips? I was thinking of leaving to to soak overnight.

No one seems to know so I'm going for a long soak in warm water followed by some gentle soapy toothbrushing of the sticky areas. Then I'll sort the record out. da-dum-chhhhhhhh

If applying a toothbrush to vinyl is a bad idea please tell me now.

Comment

Yeah I think it is. Quite abrasive those toothbrushes!

What sort of glue is it mate?
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I think lighter fluid is the best option ...
        something like &quot;zippo&quot;

Comment

Well, a very soft toothbrush, used on grooves that are already knackered by glue, probably isn&#39;t going to too much harm...But maybe lighter fluid is an idea, too, as it works a treat on glue on paper, so might well dissolve glue on vinyl, and should evaporate fast enough not to harm the vinyl? Definitely the best thing for removing glue generally, so a dab of that, followed by a wipe down and soak in the usual soapy water would probably work? That said, depends on the state of it...had a similar problem with glue from a split card CD sleeve on the (non-playing) edge of a CD and lighter fluid did the trick there with no evident damage, so should be OK...

EDIT: As pokester said first&#33;
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (sermad @ Mar. 30 2004,10:46)]What sort of glue is it mate?
            Not sure. Whatever RCA used to stick sleeves together with in the mid seventies.

I don&#39;t have any lighter fluid but would meths do the same job? I seem to have some left over from last night&#39;s drinking session.

Comment

worth a shot? here
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Cheers sermad. I do have WD40 and that does sound promising.

Comment

May be a bit obvious but why not try Isopropyl? Seems to clean everything else of vinyl
                  new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Erm, I&#39;m not sure you should use glue to get off your vinyl addiction Blighty? Next it&#39;s WD40, then it&#39;ll be Tippex thinners. Sounds like the slippery slope to me. Oh, hang on...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Meths, WD40, glue, whatever it takes to make the pain of Mrs Mills face go away. Oh how she haunts me. In every box she&#39;s there...laughing at me. Taunting me in my dreams. Damn you Mrs Mills&#33;&#33;

Actually that WD40 thing works a treat. Haven&#39;t got it all off yet but it&#39;s a coming. Plus as the article says it really does clean up your vinyl too. Plus heavy toothbrushing doesn&#39;t seem to damage the vinyl at all. All in all jobs a good&#39;un. Another Young Generation album saved from the scrapheap.

Comment

for years I have used ISOPROPANOL to clean records.
                        They sell it in the chemists, it&#39;s about £5 for a bottle
                        and its kinda like pure alcohol &amp; is grrreat for removing
                        all manner of household stains.
                        The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X