Uk schools records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uk schools records

I've never had much luck with these things but I found a couple of 'proper' ones (privately pressed ultra cheapo) recently. Nothing hugely exciting.

The Country High School, Redditch - Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat [1971]

Croydon Schools Music Festival [late 70s/early 80s]

Nothing funky. Just some weird odd bits that float my boat. I guess that the lack of money in schools and the size of this country means there aren't many about. Anyone else found anything odd or interesting? School band covers of 'Quiller'? Or 'Funky Fever'?

There is a great one that shows up (very infrequently) around these parts (Lancs).
    It's The Ashton High School Band. Ill check the title.
    It's a mix of old time jazz but with a Who cover (Tommy) & a really cool folk tune / A version of Thomas the Rhymer with sloppy but great arrangements & female vocals. Also has A whiter Shade of Pale & assorted covers.
    Real DIY, with typed lyric sheet embossed / printed cover. Once sold one for over a ton on the strength of the folk tune.
    The band also did another one which I have but it aint as cool or groovy.
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

I've got an 80s one, "The Soul of Harringey". 12" EP.Couple of not bad 80s club type tunes on it as i recall.
      Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Mar. 30 2004,12:27)]Croydon Schools Music Festival [late 70s/early 80s]
        Hah, I remember taking part in a few of those (none recorded mind   ). Would have been around that time too. I remember seeing a record from Downside School (Croydon again) when I was up in Edinburgh - that had travelled a few miles. Nothing remotely intriguing on it but I should have picked it up though.  
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

i found something odd like that the other day - the music (and bits of dialogue) from a play called "marge! (an original musical)" by greenhill school, rochdale, in 1979.

nothing remotely funky, but lots of mirth at songs like "we're the leather girls" (performed by the bike girls) and "we're disillusioned now" (performed by the parents). even mick gets his own show-stopper called "mick rules".

i'm always fascinated by these records because they always feature (like boney said) sloppy arrangements but they're always over-played and over-enthusiastic (hey! this is going to be on record&#33.

nice thread again, blighty.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ Mar. 29 2004,13:51)]There is a great one that shows up (very infrequently) around these parts (Lancs).
            It's The Ashton High School Band. Ill check the title.
            It's a mix of old time jazz but with a Who cover (Tommy) & a really cool folk tune / A version of Thomas the Rhymer with sloppy but great arrangements & female vocals. Also has A whiter Shade of Pale & assorted covers.
            Real DIY, with typed lyric sheet embossed / printed cover. Once sold one for over a ton on the strength of the folk tune.
            The band also did another one which I have but it aint as cool or groovy.
            Damn ! I passed that one up about a week ago Boney !

Must retrace my steps
            SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

I've got a few schools things, the most interesting of which is 'Moods & Music' by the Chelsea School Percussion group - has a track called 'Drum Battle', which is a kid on the kit going hell for leather against a kid on the timps. Hilarious, and I'm determined to crowbar it in as a sample in one of my tunes someday ...
              FunkyDown
              Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

My sister appears on two school records, both straight out Keyworth, Nottingham. Unfortunatly, they stopped doing the records by the time I joined the school. Nothing funky, just guitar and recorder combos. I keep meaning to have a proper listen but never get round to it.
                Errr..Hambone?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Mar. 30 2004,12:27)]I guess that the lack of money in schools and the size of this country means there aren't many about.
                  Might be more UK oddities on CD in the future . . . a friend of mine's kid is making one with her school at the moment that includes a gospel verson of Eminem's 'Lose Yourself' !
                  Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

I've just dug out a 1998 2-CD set of Glasgow high school bands (which I have because I got asked to do the sleeve for it - it's on the same label as Belle & Sebastian and Snow Patrols debuts). Amongst versions of Search For The Hero, Schindlers List, Commitments Medley and Everything I Do is a big band medley of Turn On, Tune In Drop Out (by Freakpower which sounds more like Get Carter than the original did) and Mission Impossible! There's a parping version of Watermelon Man too...

Ha! I'd completely forgotten about it, not quite Kashmere Stage Band standard
                    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

I picked up a 45 a couple of months back, just remembered.
                      It's a school / folk combo on the A side & was released in 1972 I think, to celebrate Preston Guild. The lyrics go summat like "....down on the River Ribble We'll be a city soon" or similar. The B side however is a Steel Band! track. Must check it again.
                      Oh & there's a jazz rock musical LP from Colne, regret not picking it up & have never seen it again.
                      Lancashire eh! a hot bed of obscure private pressings.
                      You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

I've got one that features the London Jazz 4 playing the music for a school production. Loads of really nice modal moments. I'll dig it out and post the name.

Comment

Working...
                        X