Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New music pt2

thoughts on his new single?

heard it for the first time last night. didn't know who it was. liked it. there's an almost real old school funk thing going on with the guitar lick. it's very stripped down and simplistic.

not sure whether it'll stay good, but it caught my ear anyway.

edit - talking about prince here
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

A few off the dome:

7-stu-7 vs Awkward 12" - really hot booming hip hop instros
    Jurassic 5 'Linguistics' - great danceflloor-orientated new cut
    TY 'Oh U Want More?' - The Roots Manuva re-fix has a splendid bollywood riddim ting a gwan
    DJ Nu-Mark 12" on Up Above - Chali Tuna track is v.nice, but J-Live's Archie Whitewater sampling beauty is the real.
    Automato LP/12" - Fresh New York hip hop band with Talking Heads, Liquid Liquid and such influences. Playing in Sheffield on Sundee too - can't wait! The dirty South of Yorkshurr is where it all goes down these days, don'tcha know?!!
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Personally, I've got my fingers crossed that Prince plays Glastonbury!

I just got tickets this morning (managed to use some contacts for a change&#33 and I'll be mighty miffed if the headliners are confirmed as Oasis, Muse and McCartney. OK, Macca's wrote a few good ditties in his time, but the others are very underwhelming.

If the Little P plays, he'll blow the place apart. He's had some wilderness years, but if anyone can get it together it's him.
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ April 02 2004,14:29)]Personally, I've got my fingers crossed that Prince plays Glastonbury!

I just got tickets this morning (managed to use some contacts for a change&#33 and I'll be mighty miffed if the headliners are confirmed as Oasis, Muse and McCartney. OK, Macca's wrote a few good ditties in his time, but the others are very underwhelming.

If the Little P plays, he'll blow the place apart. He's had some wilderness years, but if anyone can get it together it's him.
        You'll be spared the nightmare that is The Darkness - they demanded a cool million for their services (played for £60 last year&#33 and were rightly told to piss off.
        I'm probably going again this year - will there be enough of us to warrant our own mini marquee & fisherprice soundsystem to soundclash against the pyramid stage?
        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

It would have been nice if The Darkness had played, I&#39;m sure that I&#39;ll be struggling to dispose of my surplus urine.

Wankers.

I hear JB may be playing if they can get the handcuffs off him in time, hopefully he&#39;ll be scheduled against Oasis or something.
          Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ April 02 2004,20:35)]It would have been nice if The Darkness had played, I&#39;m sure that I&#39;ll be struggling to dispose of my surplus urine.

Wankers.

I hear JB may be playing if they can get the handcuffs off him in time, hopefully he&#39;ll be scheduled against Oasis or something.
            Yeah, I heard that too.

He just played in my town, pretty good show for an old codger. Some amazingly talented trailer-trash looking dudes in the band too.

They also had some a back projected logo with what I presume was a stylized James Brown face that looked, I kid you not, exactly like an orangutan.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (theeman @ April 02 2004,13:41)]thoughts on his new single?

heard it for the first time last night. didn&#39;t know who it was. liked it. there&#39;s an almost real old school funk thing going on with the guitar lick. it&#39;s very stripped down and simplistic.

not sure whether it&#39;ll stay good, but it caught my ear anyway.

edit - talking about prince here
              I don&#39;t listen to music radio and had only read good stuff about Prince&#39;s new thing on a few forums.
              It&#39;s number 4 at Amazon and number 1 in several retail chains here in the US (that should have been a warning, I guess) and I picked it up new for ten bucks.

It&#39;s shit.

I didn&#39;t pay attention to what he did for almost a decade and always dreaded that I am missing possibly his best moments as an independent recording artist. But my biggest problem with the new record is that his sound is stuck in time. One of my friends heard it in the car a few days ago and said: &quot;This sounds like a major label A&amp;R guy said &#39;Give us some old tapes or record a new album that sounds just like in the days when you were big&#39; &quot;

How is &quot;News&quot; ? Same sound ?

Comment

I heard &#39;Musicology&#39; for the first time last night on &#39;White Label&#39;, a late night music review programme with Mark Goodier on the World Service.. I know, supa-dope and cool huh?&#33;&#33;

Anyway, I liked it. It&#39;s pretty funky in a stripped-down, bare bones kind of way, and almost totally influenced by James Brown, so it appeals to me.

BUT the co-host reviewer for the show, John Sexton I think his name was (music reviewer at The Times) said at one point &quot;it&#39;s the funkiest song James Brown never made&quot;, which I reckon is going just a lil&#39; bit far. But it ain&#39;t bad.
                Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (vibra @ April 28 2004,16:27)]I heard &#39;Musicology&#39; for the first time last night on &#39;White Label&#39;, a late night music review programme with Mark Goodier on the World Service.. I know, supa-dope and cool huh?&#33;&#33;

Anyway, I liked it. It&#39;s pretty funky in a stripped-down, bare bones kind of way, and almost totally influenced by James Brown, so it appeals to me.

BUT the co-host reviewer for the show, John Sexton I think his name was (music reviewer at The Times) said at one point &quot;it&#39;s the funkiest song James Brown never made&quot;, which I reckon is going just a lil&#39; bit far. But it ain&#39;t bad.
                  It&#39;s a bit too &#39;old school&#39; for me, in the same way that J5 bang on about their roots and how they do things in the same way they used to be done, back in the day. Jeez, just get on with it. Trying waaay too hard, like Emma Bunton going on about always being into Motown.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I think if there&#39;s one criticism of it, it&#39;s certainly that it doesn&#39;t sound like a NEW Prince album so much as an OLD one. A really good old one, mind, but an old one all the same. It depends whether you regard Prince as just another clapped out old 80s star or something much more than that (I&#39;m in the latter camp). You&#39;ve only got to listen to the Neptunes and Timbaland. They owe their whole careers to updating the Prince sound.

When you&#39;re deep into Prince and you&#39;re buying crappy old Family and Time albums just because Jamie Starr sprinkled a bit of magic dust on them, then you know you&#39;ve got it bad, so when a half-decent new LP of his emerges, you WANT it to be good after the disappointments of recent years (though some of the last few albums have had great individual tracks on them). So, yeah, it&#39;s not the Second Coming, but it&#39;s still pretty bloody good.
                    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Working...
                    X