Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend finds

From various charity and second-hand shops -

Jess Roden - 'S/T' - Island 1974 ('On Broadway!' w/ Allen Toussaint etc))

Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra - 'Romance, Fire & Fancy' - Intersound 1978 (love Nelson's disco-funk tracks&#33

Neil Ardley - 'Kaleidoscope of Rainbows' - Gull 1975 (beautiful UK jazz-rock w/Ian Carr, Tony Coe etc)

Peter Brown - 'A Fantasy Love Affair' - TK 1977 (feat. the great funky soul track 'For Your Love' as bootlegged a few years ago on the 'Sterling Beats' comp)

Cerrone - 'Love in C Minor' - Atlantic 1976 (classic disco-funk w/Hawkshaw and all the library guys)

John Schroeder - 'Classical Vibrations' - Polydor 1971 (w/Alf Bigden, Johnny Pearson etc)
    Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Pretty good day at Lahti Rock City in Central Finland:

Byrds, Steppenwolf, Grusin - 'Candy OST' (Progressive carpet ride)

Barrabas - 'Heart of The City' - Atco

Lou Rawls - 'Live!' - Capitol (Axelrod productions)

Eddie Harris - 'Sings The Blues'

Charles Williams - 'Stickball' - Mainstream (feat. nice covers of People Make The World Go 'round and Who Is He (And What Is He To You))

Astrud Gilberto - 'Beach Samba' - Verve (Finally find this one)

The Peddlers - 'Birthday' - CBS

Beastie Boys - 'Paul's Boutique' - Capitol

Joe Henderson - 'In Pursuit of Blackness' - Milestone

The Music Explosion - 'Little Bit O'Soul' - Laurie Records

H. Hancock - 'Crossings' - WB

Q. Jones - 'Dollar OST' - Reprise

Nico - 'Chelsea Girl' - MGM (Finally find this with decent price tag)

Led Zeppelin - '2' - Atlantic

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Seventies Kid @ April 03 2004,19:43)]Neil Ardley - 'Kaleidoscope of Rainbows' - Gull 1975 (beautiful UK jazz-rock w/Ian Carr, Tony Coe etc)
      nice grab on the Neil Ardley! /iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/plan.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':hannibal:'>
      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

not just today, but in the last seven days - a pretty good charity haul by my standards:

some mint uk folk:

Martin Cathy and Dave Swarbrick 'Two Came By' (Fontana 1968)
        The Watersons 'The Watersons' (Topic 1966)
        The Watersons 'A Yorkshire Garland' (Topic 1966)
        The Young Tradition 1st album (Transatlantic 1966)
        David and Marianne Dalmour 'introducing...' (two copies, mono and stereo, Coumbia 1966)

an amazing mint jazz album:

John Mayer/Joe Harriott 'Indo-Jazz Fusions' (Columbia 1967)
        not only is it mint, but it's the only one I didn't have of the Harriott/Mayer albums - nice.

some dance twelves (reach for the laser&#33:
        Leviticus 'Burial remix'
        Rum and Black 'Fuck the legal stations'
        Zero Zero 'The Sanity Clause'
        N-Joi 'Anthem'
        Wink 'Higher State of Consciousness'
        and a nice e.p. in an Orb vein on a white label (IRE 2031 ring any bells?)

and some more stuff, almost all in top condition:

Nancy Wilson 'Yesterday's Love Songs'
        Julie London 'Our Fair Lady'
        Mothers of Invention 'Freak Out' UK copy
        Willaim De Vaughan 'Figures Can't Calculate' (1980 LP with the remake of 'Just be thankful for what you've got...'
        Rudolf Pache 'Hammond in the background' (with cheesey version of Hawaii 5-0 etc..)
        Original Tropicana Steel Band 'Tropicana' ('Funky Abbey Road'
        Various 'Galloping Home'
        Adge Cutler and the Wurzels 'Carry on Cutler' (important cultural artefact here in Brizzle - and it's got 'Ferry to Glastonbury' on it.)
        David Fanshawe 'African Sanctus' (classic used in 'If' - spare copy)
        David Fanshawe 'Arabian Fantasy'
        Harold Budd/Brian Eno 'The Pearl' very chilled.
        Mahavishnu Orchestra 'Inner Worlds' (includes 'Planetary Citizen' classic breakbeatraer.
        101 Strings play Simon and Garfunkel. Badly.
        Various 'Sun Blues' (part of the 'Sun roots of rock' series, absolute blinders from people like Handy Jackson and Hot Shot Love.)

and some oddballs:

Frankie Randall 'The Mods and The Pops' U.S. Lounge singer on RCA who covers 'I can see for miles' and 'Flowers in the rain' in the club style.

Belle Gonzalez with Sextet 'Poets Set in jazz'
        Belle Gonzalez 'Contemorary Poets Set in jazz'
        two 7 inch EPs on Jupiter Records from 1965 and 1966, doing pretty much what they say on the tin...any ideas?

and a 33rpm 12" acetate (looks virtually unplayed) of someone's retirement party at a place called Ely House - haven't listened to this one yet...but looks intriguing!

Comment

Found a long time want today.....

'Oh When The Saints...' by Milton Rhodes & The Archers - a funky Southampton F.C. 45 (with break).

Taken me 7 years to find that one, and I live in Southampton

Fingers crossed for good weather in the morning (pissing it down here right now) and a good Sunday haul.
          Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ April 03 2004,20:33)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Seventies Kid @ April 03 2004,19:43)]Neil Ardley - 'Kaleidoscope of Rainbows' - Gull 1975 (beautiful UK jazz-rock w/Ian Carr, Tony Coe etc)
            nice grab on the Neil Ardley! /iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/plan.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':hannibal:'>/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/plan.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt='/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/plan.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':hannibal:'>'><!--endemo-->
            Thanks, John! Big-up to yourself on finding the 'Indo-Jazz Fusions' LP!

'Kaleidoscope of Rainbows' is certainly a beautiful record. I can never get enough of those powerful rock rhythms with the jazz soloing out in front - brilliant! It's all so well put together.

The Cerrone 'Love in C Minor' Disco-funk LP is also great. I love Disco when it's done properly, and this is a prime example. Top line-up of UK session musicians, too!
            Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

This morning haul...not amazing (I think last nights heavy rain put alot of sellers off turning out), but for this mornings fiver....

The John Gregory Orchestra - The Detectives (Philips LP)
              Bing & The Birds - Beat Party To The Classics (Saga LP)
              Amazonas - Play Santana (SGA LP)
              Lightning Red - Party Sound With Brass & Strings (SGA LP)
              Paddy Kingsland - Supercharged (Studio 2 Stereo LP)

.... so no sign of any copies of 'Supercharged' in god knows how many years, and then 2 in 3 weeks. Picked up a few 45s too (Timmy Thomas, Georgie Fame, The Goodies) as freebies with the Lps.

Saw a load of libraries this morning on one stall, and started salivating only to find they were Chappell AV Series LPs. Oh well.
              Matt Hero

Comment

This week's goodness:

LPs:

Les Reed 'The International Pop Proms' (Granada TV&#33 Fantastic version of 'Good Vibrations'
                Jose Feliciano '10 To 23' (RCA) Australian issue LP with amazing bossa jazz cover of The Beatles' 'She's A Woman'
                Richard Torrance 'Eureka' (A&M) Superb folky, jazzy rock featuring Monty Stark (a theme to my digs this week&#33
                Danny Cox 'Feel So Good' (Casablanca) Great clav-heavy funk on 'Hot Down In Chile'
                V/A 'Heavy Mix' (Pickwick) As charted by LDJB last month, with the corking 'Jungle Gym At The Zoo'
                Tony Osbourne 'Brass 'N' Ivory' (Deram) Killer orchestral funk breaks on title track, 'Soul Street' & 'Ali Baba' TRADE
                Northern Dance Orchestra (BBC) Firing big band version of 'Mas-Que-Nada' and a sleazy 'Spinning Wheel' TRADE

12"s:
                J.V.C. Force 'Strong Island' (B-Boy Records) All-time super heavyweight hip hop jawn

45s:
                The Stark Reality 'Junkman's Song' (ajp) Like woah! Nearly passed out when I spotted this one, all minty too! 'Comrades' on the flip, two of the best tracks on the LP IMO.. woah!
                Harley Quinne 'In A Moment Of Madness' (Bell)
                Shocking Blue 'Roll Engine Roll' (Penny Farthing)
                Kid Frost 'La Raza' (4th & Broadway) Dope latino hip hop classic TRADE
                'Hi-Fi Weekly's Demo Disc' (BBC) Stereo-checking spoken word malarkey
                Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ April 04 2004,09:59)].... so no sign of any copies of 'Supercharged' in god knows how many years, and then 2 in 3 weeks.
                  Same deal with that Northern Dance Orchestra record. Suddenly they appear.

Comment

Bit windy and wet up here in t'north this morning, so the head count at the booter was pretty low... Did come back with...

Grandmaster Flash & Furious Five "Scorpio" 12"
                    Sight And Sound "Movie Themes Of Today" (EX/EX trade)
                    Isley Brothers "Tamla Motown Presents" (MFP) "My Love Is Your Love"

Picked up a few 45's whilst in Manchester ( thanks Vinylism for a top night of party tunes! ), cream of the crop were...

The Sisters & Brothers "The Jed Clampett (Parts 1&2)"
                    The Sandpebbles "If You Didn't Hear Me The First Time"

Nice! /iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/plan.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':hannibal:'>
                    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ April 04 2004,11:54)]Voice - Train To Disaster
                      !!!!!!!!!! !!

Comment

The Voice

Personnel incl:
                        MILLER ANDERSON

45:
                        1 The Train To Disaster/Truth (Mercury MF 905) 1967

This London-based group evolved out of Karl Stuart and The Profiles and Profile. Their 45 is now an ultra-rarity, much sought-after by connoisseurs of psychedelia. On the Chocolate Soup (CD)/Chocolate Soup For Diabetics, Vol. 1 (LP) compilations the 'A' side, a Hammill-Anderson composition, begins with a dramatic "I am the god of hell fire" intro straight out of Arthur Brown's Fire and this sets the temperature for three minutes of guitar-driven mayhem; this intro seems to have been an invention of the compiler however, and is missing from the original single! Miller Anderson, who was almost certainly in the band, was later in Savoy Brown and the Keef Hartley Band. You'll also find The Train To Disaster on Psychdelic Voyage, Vol. 2 (LP), Psychedelic Voyage (CD) and Beat It (3-CD). It's flip side, The Truth, has also resurfaced on Magic Spectacles (CD), but is nowhere near as good.
                        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ April 04 2004,12:44)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ April 04 2004,12:16)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                                  &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; &#33;&#33;
                          John, what do you think of this 45 then?
                          I used to have quite a good freakbeat/r&#39;n&#39;b collection - all the Primitives/all the Wimple Winch/all the Poets/all the Fleur de Lys/Score/all the Game/Frame/Thane Russell/all the Pretties and EPs/all the Yardbirds and EPs/Creation/Action/Dantalian&#39;s Chariot/Vamp/Bamboo Shoot/Fox/all the Eyes/Actress/Flies/
                          Fire/Factory and a bunch of others...(which now I wish I hadn&#39;t sold about fifteen years ago). This was always a 45 I was looking for since the Chocolate Soup LP first came out, but I&#39;ve still never seen a copy. Nice record. Where was the auction?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ April 04 2004,17:09)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ April 04 2004,12:44)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (john stapleton @ April 04 2004,12:16)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; &#33;&#33;
                            John, what do you think of this 45 then?
                            I used to have quite a good freakbeat/r&#39;n&#39;b collection - all the Primitives/all the Wimple Winch/all the Poets/all the Fleur de Lys/Score/all the Game/Frame/Thane Russell/all the Pretties and EPs/all the Yardbirds and EPs/Creation/Action/Dantalian&#39;s Chariot/Vamp/Bamboo Shoot/Fox/all the Eyes/Actress/Flies/
                            Fire/Factory and a bunch of others...(which now I wish I hadn&#39;t sold about fifteen years ago). This was always a 45 I was looking for since the Chocolate Soup LP first came out, but I&#39;ve still never seen a copy. Nice record. Where was the auction?
                            Oh mighty Lord&#33;
                            Dear John, what the hell made you sell those 45s ??
                            Whaddya mean by `quite a good freakbeat/r´n´b collection?
                            These bands are the cream of the crop (among others).
                            I´m a vivid collector of (esp. UK) freakbeat and it´s hard to understand that you decided to part with these sounds.
                            I´d really be interested in your excuse please&#33; (Or did you have multiple copies??)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Seventies Kid @ April 03 2004,19:43)]Neil Ardley - &#39;Kaleidoscope of Rainbows&#39; - Gull 1975 (beautiful UK jazz-rock w/Ian Carr, Tony Coe etc)
                              Good find. I dont actually have this but I&#39;ve seen it for £20 before and seen Harmony of The Spheres for a similar price. Is it worth payin this much for it? And what bout Harmony of The Spheres anyone?

Cheers, Rob
                              I&#39;m just an addict, addicted to music, maybe it&#39;s a habit, I gotta use it

Comment

Working...
                              X