God i love being on holiday - euro special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God i love being on holiday - euro special

Day 1 of my trip around Europe. First stop is a massive flea market outside Dusseldorf. The flea market was advertised as being for second hand goods but actually turned out to be mainly professional sellers selling new stuff. Found one record stall and began to check out his wares. All the records were priced up, €30, €25, etc. As I was browsing the owner approached and told me that all records were €2. Why I asked, Why Not he replied! Found the following:

Bob Seger - Smokin' O.P.'s - Big break on Bo Diddley, UBB track I think (Double)
    Locomotiv GT - Motor City Rock - Czech Jazz fusion
    Patrick Moraz - Out in the Sun.
    Niemen Enigmatic - Not the red sleeved double lp but a gold sleeved single lp from this Polish hammon maestro!
    Niemen Enigmatic - The red sleeved double LP from this Polish Hammond playing maestro (double)
    Booker T - The Booker T Set - Version of It's Your Thing
    The Four Tops - Main Street People - Are you Man Enough from Shaft in Africa
    Family - Entertainment - Good old 70's prog
    Klaus Lenz Big Band - Great German funky jazz (Double)
    Blue Jays - Nascence - What do you want from me woman is a great funky rock track which has been sampled by someone (Double)
    Various - Brain Festival 2 - Samba fur Heino by the band To Be is a great track from one of the Glucklich comps.
    Various - Keep the Dream Alive - Jimmy Castor and others singing MLK's praise.
    Peter Green - In the Skies - One funky break track on heer I believe.
    Uschi Bruning + Gunter Fischer - German jazz, Placebo like if you believe Ebay!!
    Shocking Blue - at Home - One with the sitar on the cover (Double)
    Shocking Blue - Inkpot - The one with the gay jumpers on the cover.

So that's it for day 1. 12 more to go, expect rgular updates whether you like it or not! /iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/plan.gif" border="0" valign="absmiddle" alt=':hannibal:'>

Due to the overwhelming response to my first post!!!! Here's part 2 of what is sure to be a long running saga (stop groaning Rich&#33

Went to Dusseldorf today to check out its 6 record shops and you'll probably all be pleased to hear that they're crap (heartless bastards)

Found the following for €2 each:

Haare - German issue with lots of of those hip hop beats, on the down side all sung in German! (Double)
    Les Humphries - Super Star Sound - I'm sure someone charted this many moons ago. This is very good. Greattrack called Ramsey's Back and a cool version of Donato's Frog.
    Jose Feliciano - Angela - couple of uptempo moments on this soundtrack.
    Titanic - S/T - Love is Love is a funky rock tune with a seriously great break!
    Sweet Smoke - Just a Poke - Psych jazz meanderings, some funky moments but great music (Double)

Off to Koln tomorrow, hopefully have better luck, stayed tuned for tomorrows exciting edition of Mark in Europe (This needs to be read in the Pigs in Space voice to get its full impact)

Comment

Koln has good hunting I hear, but despite having been twice in the last 6 months I still haven't had time for any record shopping :doh:
      Happy Digging anyhow!
      FunkyDown
      Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ April 05 2004,18:29)]Les Humphries - Super Star Sound - I'm sure someone charted this many moons ago. This is very good. Greattrack called Ramsey's Back and a cool version of Donato's Frog.
        Could have been me when I listed it in my diggings. 'Ramsey's Back' is ace - it's also got a great version of Scarborough Fair, which is suspiciously re-titled 'Down at Scarborough Bay' and credited to none other than Mr Humphries himself - well, really!
        Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ April 05 2004,18:29)]Due to the overwhelming response to my first post!!!! Here's part 2 of what is sure to be a long running saga (stop groaning Rich&#33
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Day 3 - Back by Dope Demand!!

Went to Koln today and trapsed around its stores. Much better selection than Dusseldorf but like everywhere records are getting harder to find. Some really good stores and worth a visit if you're in these parts. Found:

Dave Kamien Division - Terra Contact - Funky German jazz that I've been after for a while.
            Dusty Springfield - See all her Faces - This has been charted recently due to it being bloody good!
            Dave Brubeck - Two Generations - Mad version of Unsquare dance.
            Novi Singers - Five Four Three - This completes my Novi collection. Couple of great tracks on here.
            Birthcontrol - Rebirth - Funky German rock.
            Helmuth Brandenburg - Big band Beat - Found this about 10 years ago in Hamburg, now got a spare. Greta funky big band versions of Lucretita Macevil amongst other things.
            Paul Kuhn - Big Band Berlin - Funky Big Band LP with versions of Memphis Underground amongst other things (Double)
            Percussion Panorama - Covers packed with what sounds like the Incredible Bongo Band playing along (Double)
            Cleveland Eaton - Pretty Good eaton - Funky Black Jazz outing from Eaton, loads of tracks!
            Diether Reith - Join Us - The title track on here rocks. Funky hammond.

So until tomorrow...............

Comment

Nice on the dave kamien. Ive had two now off the bay. Watermelon man rocks!
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Day 4 - The Digging continues&#33;&#33;

Went to a small town today, Duisberg, which is about 5 minutes by train from where I&#39;m staying. Didn&#39;t hold any hope at all but in fact turned out quite nicely.
                All these found for €2-5.

Rotation - Ra Ta Ta (7&quot - Funky littele recorder number (Double)
                Nucleus - Out of the Long Dark - Not their best LP but anything by these guys is worth buying (Double)
                Trinidad Oil Company - The Calender Song - Versions of Feeling Alright and Shaft (Double)
                The Gregory James Quartet - Alicia - Not as upfront as their prophets of Soul lp but some nice jazz moments none the less.
                Snowball - Defroster - Late 70&#39;s German fusion. Seen this selling for money on Ebay I think.
                Ross - The Pit and the Pendulum - Shadow sampled this, apparently, it&#39;s actually one of my fav funky rock LP&#39;s. Buy it if you see it (Double)
                Living Strings and Living Voices - Jesus Christ Superstar - Not seen this version before.
                The Road Home - Peacful Children - Can&#39;t remember who introduced this LP to me, Serms or Belson, anyway it&#39;s great&#33;&#33; (Double)
                Polnareff - Polnareff&#39;s - One nice funky track if my memory serves me right (Double)
                Jukka Tolonen - Impresssions - Interesting funky jazz from Norway(?)
                Eddie Gomez - Down Stretch - Been after this for a while, funky bass playing.
                Goblin - Zombie - Soundtrack to Dawn of the Dead (?) really interesting. Anyone know anything about this lP???

Off to Utrecht tomorrow to check out the stores. Stay close to your computers for the next chapter.

Comment

Krhömm, Tolonen is from Finland.

Comment

Well spotted. I actually bothered to read the sleeve after I&#39;d posted and saw this. Sorry to offend any of our Scandi brothers&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ April 07 2004,17:06)]Ross - The Pit and the Pendulum - Shadow sampled this, apparently, it&#39;s actually one of my fav funky rock LP&#39;s. Buy it if you see it (Double)
                      maybe you&#39;re thinking of Blackalicious&#39;s &#39;dream seasons&#39; off the Nia LP which samples the opening Ross cut&#39; swallow your dreams&#39; &#33;?&#33; - that one was produced by Chief Xcel

great cut, love it over here&#33;

go get some more records dogg&#33;

Comment

I may have got the Shadow sample thing wrong. I remember seeing an auction on the Bay that claimed that Shadow had lifted something from it. To be honest I don&#39;t have a clue&#33;

Comment

well Shadow does do some production on the Nia LP which is pre private press, a time when he was more closely aligned with the soulsides crew so to say he&#39;s involved is pretty close - all academic tho, the Ross is a nice piece.

Comment

Polnareff - Polnareff&#39;s - One nice funky track if my memory serves me right (Double)

if this one is searching for a new home i am interested&#33;

Comment

good shit bro, you wouldnt by chance be interested in trading Titanic, would you?

Comment

Working...
                              X