Farflungfunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farflungfunk

Apart from China, is it possible to do a 'round the world' funk list.

I'll start of with Bermuda (a British Crown colony) and 'Spacing Out' by The Invaders.

Sorry, I am bored at work.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

Fin knows an excellent funk 45 from the phillipines...
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I think all the euro countries are quite easy..

exept maybe..........andora, liechtenstein, luxembourg, monaco, the vatican, san marino

Comment

...and portugal!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]I think all the euro countries are quite easy..

exept maybe..........andora, liechtenstein, luxembourg, monaco, the vatican, san marino
          A bit closer to home, I can't think of any funk from Wales, N.Ireland or Eire.

Scotland gets in there with AWB.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ April 06 2004,15:58)]A bit closer to home, I can't think of any funk from Wales, N.Ireland or Eire.

NI had Candy
            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ April 06 2004,15:58)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]I think all the euro countries are quite easy..

A bit closer to home, I can&#39;t think of any funk from Wales, N.Ireland or Eire.

Or Boogaloo Investigators

Comment

I doubt iraq has any funk. All Ive got off my dad are nana mouskiri records (greek ffs&#33 and tapes of guys wailing with a bit of violins and some hand clapping.

So I guess India will do then&#33;

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Turkey is coverd by Okay Temiz and any others? What about Morocco?
                  working together for better bass and treble

Comment

I have got funk bits from the following african places... ethiopia, senegal, nigeria, benin, S.Africa, Cote d-Ivoire, Ghana, Kenya, and without a doubt there is funky stuff from just about everywhere on the continent. Israel has the mighty Soul Messengers, and ed could probably point you at something else funky. Theres a least one funk thing from Pakistan, Thailand has the Impossibles, I&#39;ve got something from Mauritius; Central america, Mexico (division del Norte, rabbits and carrots LP, etc. + no doubt lots more), little tiny Belize has the Soul Creations and the Nomads, south America - Brazil has plenty, wheres the Xingu LP from? Chile or Peru? and the Black sugar 45? Peru? I have a funky steel LP from Colombia. There must be tons more. West indies: I can think of things from trinidad (loads), barbados (loads), jamaica (loads), Virgin islands (Lord sausage), St Vincent (the infamous St Vincent Latinaires), probably more if I think about it. Hawaii has Lemuria, if you don&#39;t mind counting atrocious cheese as funk and I reckon there must be more, and Australia has some funky stuff (that knowledgeable Mr. Sheep will know), and that just about gets us round, no? Papua New Guinea is probably devoid of funk, but actually I wouldn&#39;t bet on it. I&#39;ve never heard an actual funk thng from Cuba, but I reckon there must be something.

So I reckon here are the blank spots: Japan + China (I&#39;ve heard bonkers stuff from both these places, but no actual funk) and much of the far east and SE asia (Korea, taiwan, etc); australasian archipelago, Polynesia and Micronesia, Mongolia, Afghanistan (Whats the Mullah Omar&#39;s fave classic break? Keni Burkha: &#39;Keep on Ricin to the Top&#39;&#33; Boom boom&#33; sorry.) and most of the Middle and Near east... are there Iranian funk killers out there? Heavy break-laden Iraqi jazz-funk? an as yet unknown Jordanian soul scene? hmm. Never say never...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (fin @ April 07 2004,17:51)]I&#39;ve got something from Mauritius
                      oo, do tell more&#33; i&#39;ve got relatives out that way..

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] ]I&#39;ve never heard an actual funk thng from Cuba, but I reckon there must be something.
                        Cuba has Mr Martinez.

With regards South Korea I have a lp record with a ladies picture on the front. I can&#39;t give the name of the one track on the lp because I cannot reproduce the Korean characters.

I can&#39;t imagine any funk in North Korea.

Comment

Japan has funk&#33; Spacey for the most obvious one. Xingu is from peru.

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I&#39;m not sure how true the lack of funk in Japan, China, SE Asia is, as there&#39;s an awful lot of garage type stuff from that region that&#39;s very much &#39;funky&#39; but might not be actual &#39;funk&#39;. Garage rock covers of soul hits with hefty drums and organ (like The Voltage &#39;Hold On I&#39;m Comin&#39; or The Van Dogs &#39;Hey Girl&#39; which knocks off &#39;Green Onions&#39 sound pretty close to 60s funk in my book. Still that might be Garage not Funk so be officially Not Allowed.

So I&#39;d like to nominate Chiyo Okumura&#39;s &#39;Shoko&#39; to keep Japan in the game.

And I&#39;m sure I&#39;ve heard some Welsh funk. I can&#39;t think of a name, but, let&#39;s face it, this is a country with a Welsh Language reggae scene so anything&#39;s possible, frankly. Anyway, at least one record, definitely funk (AWB style horn stuff) and in Welsh. A very long time ago.
                            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Iran: Ahmad Khalvati - &#39;Ud Minaz&#39;*
                              Afghanistan: Chiek Sabani - &#39;Usu Do Zagrami&#39;*

*OK, I made those up. But who&#39;s to know?
                              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                              X