Cracked records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked records

Just receved a Birds of Paradise - Bossa Blue Port 45 from a seller in the states, paid hardly anything for it (6 bucks or so) problem is its cracked. Not from the outer edge but from the label to about an inch from the outer edge. I've put some tape on the flip side (Giggle Wiggle is very bad) to stop it worsening while playing but i was wondering if anyone had any tips to recover splits like this, can you glue them?? If there is nothing I can do how hard would it be to find another copy, never seen one for sale before.
    working together for better bass and treble

i once got a 1 sided lp in the pst in 4 pieces so I selotaped the no groove side and it played but it did click at every stage i.e. 4 times per revolution. I would be very suprised if there were anyway of repairing the damage. Glue could easily leak into the grooves and make the problem worse.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

You ever seen Ghost World? There's a great scene where the girl goes to a record collectors party, and one guy's going on about how he doesn't trade cracked records. I remember trading a cracked 45 for another cracked 45 with Jazzman...

Anyway, my only tip to you is to make sure the plastic isn't flattened perfectly, and as the needle goes round it's always dropping down into the groove and not UP otherwise you'll get a loud click and probably damage your stylus.

Does that make any sense? Thought not...

A fresh minty copy will come your way soon, but you HAVE to buy a shagged copy first. It's Sod's Law...
      There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

On an old edition of Nationwide, there was a report about a man (actually John RT Davies, a former member of the Temperance Seven) who used to repair broken 78s - it was a really complex business, because you had to line up the grooves exactly, and make sure no glue got in them, and everything. Eventually he got the disc all fixed up, but there was always a big click where the joins were, so he used to transfer them on to quarter-inch tape, score out the clicks with a razor blade, then cut a new copy of the record with his lathe!

None of which is any use to you, but if anyone knows how I can get in touch with him, I've got a project for him.......

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ April 07 2004,19:56)]On an old edition of Nationwide, there was a report about a man (actually John RT Davies, a former member of the Temperance Seven) who used to repair broken 78s - it was a really complex business, because you had to line up the grooves exactly, and make sure no glue got in them, and everything. Eventually he got the disc all fixed up, but there was always a big click where the joins were, so he used to transfer them on to quarter-inch tape, score out the clicks with a razor blade, then cut a new copy of the record with his lathe!

None of which is any use to you, but if anyone knows how I can get in touch with him, I've got a project for him.......
          My old band bought a Vox Continental from a (very) old Temperance 7 member a few years ago - lived in Kings Lynn. May be able to track him down again if you're serious (he was still in touch with other members)
          new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

If I can find the various bits of the broken 78 I&#39;ve got, then that&#39;d be excellent - thanks&#33;

The report was about twenty-odd years old though, I don&#39;t know whether he&#39;s still able to fix them.

What was a member of the Temperance 7 doing with a Vox Continental anyway? ???

Comment

Working...
            X