Start of the easter vinyl hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start of the easter vinyl hunt

Nice weather and nothing doing ment digging time, found the following for cheap ..

LP's
    Shirley Bassey - Something - United Artists(VV fave with Spinning Wheel and Light my fire)

The Button Down Brass - This Guys In Love - Fontana (unfortuntally not the really hot one, but a nice MacArther Park and some 'moments' on a quick listen)

George Mccrae - S/T - Jay Boy (nothing really doing on this, kinda funky discosh with a string overload, but on a label i've never seen before, proberbly as  common as muck)

Ike & Tina Turner - 13+3 - Carrere (weird euro comp of dubious sound quality but contains some good tracks, sample spotting on Gettin Nasty that must have been used for Jurassic 5's concrete schoolyard)

45's (real mixed bunch this)

The Mad Lads - Im so glad i fell in love with you - Volt (soul thing in their typical style)

Jeff Lorber Fusion - Monster Man - Arista (going straight into my 45 80's intro mega-mix, slap basssline and cheezy claps, yes)

Glen Adams Affair - Just a Groove - Excaliber (same reason as above)

Junior - Mama used to Say - Mercury (again same reason)

Tommy James & The Shondells - Mony Mony - Major Minor (classic)

M.B.P Mix - Light My Fire - Major Minor (YES! and then NOooo, a quid but in pretty poor shape, will have to sit and complement the one i spent loads of cash on the bay)

find of the day was a Mohawks - Pepsi on Pama again only a VG but for a quid you can't complain.  

Anyone else have Good Friday off? Any finds??
    working together for better bass and treble

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (cell @ April 09 2004,17:28)]The Button Down Brass - This Guys In Love - Fontana (unfortuntally not the really hot one, but a nice MacArther Park and some 'moments' on a quick listen)
    Hurdy Gurdy Man's the one on this one - lots of axe strangling courtesy of Alan Parker!

Nowt too exciting from me:

Walkin' Beat - Sandy Nelson (Sunset)
    Includes 'Beat from Another World' - a lengthy drum solo with slowed down voices.....

Joe Harnell - Bossa Nova Pops (London)
    Lush strings and piano, production surprisingly nice for an American recording.

Norrie Paramor - Let's Dance Together (Contour)
    Not sure whether I've got this already....Nick Ingman produces, but any resemblance with 'Moody' ends there! Nice, though.

And a Vaughan Williams LP used as interval music on BBC TV in the 60s.

Comment

second the Hurdy Gurdy Man recommendation...

that Glen Adams Affair is quite nice, on SAM originally i think, and i think he might be the same Jamaican Glen Adams (at times a member of the Pioneers, Heptones, Upsetters, etc) who moved to the New York, but i could be wrong

Sandy Nelson - Walking Beat - my copy has a hole far too small to even think about going on the spindle, so never been able to hear the thing! since it's really brittle crappy US vinyl i've never risked enlarging it...

Joe Harnell - don't think i have any of his records, but i have 'Bossa Now!' and 'Fly Me To the Moon' written on my wants list, so presumably they've been recommended in the past, probably on the Exotica list, and could be worth looking out for

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (cell @ April 09 2004,17:28)]Ike & Tina Turner - 13+3 - Carrere (weird euro comp of dubious sound quality but contains some good tracks, sample spotting on Gettin Nasty that must have been used for Jurassic 5's concrete schoolyard)
        My fave Ike Turner track, way before J5 used it. It's the best track on the Black Man's Soul LP, and it sounds so completely different from the other tracks - it's obvious that it was recorded at a seperate session from the rest, which makes me wonder where and when and what other tracks were laid down on that particular day...

http://wakeupanddie.com
        http://weirdgearnyc.com
        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

yeah know what you mean on that Getting Nasty, much harder than his normal rnb stylings, did it ever make a 45? Or were there 45's released from that session?
          working together for better bass and treble

Comment

Didn't get much of a chance to dig this weekend, what with family commitments and periods of rest to recover from egg related sickness.

Anyway, a brief visit to an out-of-the-way boot on Sunday produced....

Dan Hill - Sound Electronic 5 & 8 (RPM LPs)
            My first copies of these, including their 'interesting' artwork. Vol 8 includes a pretty bloody good version of Herbie Mann's 'Memphis Underground'. They appear to actually originate in South Africa (according the the notes on one of the Lps), and are according to the sleeve 'Now Fully Transistorized'....whatever that might mean.

Other than those two, picked up a Stan Butcher 'Birds & Brass' LP, a couple of BDB LPs ('What A Wonderful World' which is the 'This Guy...' LP with a different sleeve, and the delighfully named 'Lets Be Gay With....&#39, and another spare of the New Cascading Strings 'Contrasts' LP.

Other than that brief dig, the rest of the weekend was , eggs, O.C. and Take That.
            Matt Hero

Comment

Working...
            X