Donnie Fiasco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donnie Fiasco

Yesterday, I thought I'd nip up to Doncaster for a snoop round as I haven't been there since I was 8 and we emigrated from the South Yorks/North Notts environs of Worksop to reap the benefits of technology (running water, electricity etc).

I put in the leg-work for the best part of 5 hours and can now highly recommend that none of you go there! And no, I'm not protecting a new source or owt like that. Aside from the creeping suspicion that the proprietors of most shops I went in were going to take me upstairs to meet 'David', the vinyl situation sucked like a &#365 crack whore. One place I went in (I think it was Back Track), the guy closed the door behind me and kept hanging around me, I thought I'd been catapulted into the 'Zed' section of 'Pulp Fiction'. Never has my ringpiece quivered so much as I flicked through a rack of vinyl!!

Basically, I left that place with a copy of Johnny Harris' 'Movements' off a market stall run by a guy called Gareth, nice fella, ginger afro, front tooth missing. Don't know why I even bought that (I've got one already), possibly a consolation for my hard work. I got a couple of 'the usuals' from charity shops, but I did unearth one gem that's a new one to me. An LP called 'Fruit and Vegetable Alphabet Songs', a prime piece of kiddie-funk on that 'Multiplication Rock' angle. On the Wonderland/Golden Records label (USA), can't tell what year it's from, but it sounds like 1969/70. I picked it up (for 25p from Cancer Research) mainly because the production/arranging credits go to Pete Moore and Vic Flick. There's two great tracks 'A to F' and 'G to N' which have some tasty grooves and even (yes, you guessed) a nice drumbreak. I recommend you grab one if and when you see one. I would go off and sample that bad boy myself right away if I had a sampler, or any musical ability. Which I don't.

So, that were 25p well spent, but it didn't compensate for the feeling of needing to bathe when I got off my train in Grantham! Actually, Grantham came through in fine style while I hung around waiting for a train back to the seething metropolis of Aslockton. The Red Cross charity shop was doing vinyl for half price yesterday so I picked up yet more Klaus/James Last, another Chico Lopez 'Brazilia 70' and MJQ's 'Space' LP. When I've had my way with them, they'll probably all get posted here as freebies!

So, to sum up, if you're going South Yorkshire way, go see Vibra in lovely Sheffield. I've never left that city empty-handed. On no account waste your time and spirit in Doncaster.

Perhaps some of the VV crew could follow up and save each other some time by nominating other ####-holes to avoid like the plague?

Yours, ever more insular,

Benicio
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Ben - I'm after that Chico Lopez - wanna trade?
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

i have only ever passed through doncaster one time and it felt really horrible - there seems to be many dark clouds hanging over the place and there is zero good atmosphere. perhaps someone can prove us wrong on this, but...

Comment

</span>
        Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] ]Quote: from wooly on 5:16 pm on Mar. 9, 2003
        it felt really horrible - there seems to be many dark clouds hanging over the place and there is zero good atmosphere. perhaps someone can prove us wrong on this, but...
        <span =''>

...this is how it feels to me when I go north of Winchester

Matt Hero

Comment

quote]Quote: from LDJB on 5:16 pm on Mar. 9, 2003
          Ben - I'm after that Chico Lopez - wanna trade?
          [/quote]

What I want actually involves Shannyn Sossamon, rubber gloves, some bananas and a pair of pliers.

In lieu of that, I'll just lob the Chico Lopez LP in with your eBay items.

Benicio
          Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Working...
          X