Joss stone revealed.........!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joss stone revealed.........!

Ever the cynic regarding Ms Stone, I've just discovered what for me was a best kept secret.

Her debut album had the best of the best when it came to soulful musicians.

Credited as lending their rather huge talents are;

Latimore - Piano

Timmy Thomas - Organ

Little Beaver - Guitar

I wonder if she has the faintest idea just how privileged she is to be in such company?

That was kinda why I bought it last year - heard a track on Robert Elms, and he said it had been produced by Betty Wright and Little Beaver was on gee-taw ...

Subsequently read a few interviews with her, and she seems pretty humble about the whole thing ...
    FunkyDown
    Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Would you believe it but I heard of her on trevor nelsons show while driving the car. She was talking all about working with Betty Wright and it was her idea to get all the old sessioners together. So they pulled in all the old crew and that was that.

Joss sounded amazingly clued up and I was staggered when I found her age out - The album is not all to my tastes but it was an amazing effort it actually got made! Can't wait to hear new material.

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I thought this was common knowledge (the benchmark being that, if I know it, it must be )? And ?uestlove is the producer (?). My problem is that the tunes I&#39;ve heard are a bit too serious, a bit too Q/Mojo. But for me she&#39;s still the most interesting of the current crop of &#39;young kids making old folk&#39;s music&#39;.*

*Catchy huh?
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I knew the Betty Wright connection, but not the rest.

How did Joss and Betty get hooked up in the first place, I wonder?

The pieces seem to fit a rather bizarre shaped puzzle, really. Just.......odd.

Comment

Not really Greg. All them names is standard PR for the girl... For all I know, her folks were big into soul or even worked in the industry. Once you in with a major deal, it&#39;s no effort at all to pick up the phone and hire these guys - hell, if you&#39;re gonna make a soul album and need to hire some writers and musicians, why not hire the real thing?

Too bad other soul singers/acts don&#39;t do the same...

Only heard the tiniest snippet of her stuff, so I have no opinion on her, but it sounded like she had a pair on her... lungs that is.
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

btw - has anyone seen the &#39;Fell In Love With A Boy&#39; 7&quot; knocking about? It&#39;s probably the track I&#39;d be most likely to play out, and having bought the album on CD, didn&#39;t want to buy it again on vinyl (which I spotted in HMV last week)
              FunkyDown
              Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ April 15 2004,14:55)]Once you in with a major deal, it&#39;s no effort at all to pick up the phone and hire these guys - hell, if you&#39;re gonna make a soul album and need to hire some writers and musicians, why not hire the real thing?
                Definitely, I&#39;m sure there&#39;s plenty out there who&#39;d be grateful for the money.
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ April 15 2004,14:55)]Not really Greg. All them names is standard PR for the girl... For all I know, her folks were big into soul or even worked in the industry. Once you in with a major deal, it&#39;s no effort at all to pick up the phone and hire these guys - hell, if you&#39;re gonna make a soul album and need to hire some writers and musicians, why not hire the real thing?

Too bad other soul singers/acts don&#39;t do the same...

Only heard the tiniest snippet of her stuff, so I have no opinion on her, but it sounded like she had a pair on her... lungs that is.
                  That&#39;s not the point I was making Nick.

Betty Wrights contacts brought in the musos, so I understand. That&#39;s easy. But how did Joss Stone - a fair voice, but man there&#39;s so much better knocking around the underground - hook up with Betty Wright?

I hear your reasoning but how does a 17 year old girl from Dover manage to pull, or have them pulled for her, these kinda strings. Who hooked it up?

Odd......really&#33;

Comment

Dover&#33; She was born there but grew up somewhere in devon&#33;

Well she got hooked up to Betty Wright who hooked up the muso&#39;s and the person doing the pre-hooking up was steve greeburg. He was the man who brought in Betty Wright.

Has everyone noticed all massive billboard posters for the soul sessions lp? Its nice to see it spead from a word of mouth context into something more widespread - lets hope she does a dido and sells loads. As I said I wasn&#39;t a fan of all of the lp but some of it is amazing and I can&#39;t wait to hear more material.

The 7&quot; of &#39;fell in love&#39; was at disques a month or so ago. Best track for me&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (sermad @ April 15 2004,15:33)]lets hope she does a dido and sells loads.
                      Didos debut album when it was first released in 1995 on Cheeky sold a princely sum of 300 copies.

And from the evidence of her latest single, the voice is wearing a tad thin. She really can&#39;t sing, can she? But not in a David Bowie kinda style - I never understand that one - I think Bowie&#39;s got an amazing voice&#33; Nope...Dido just can&#39;t seem to hit the side of a barn door at the moment.

The new material is truely dreadful

Comment

I guess the wee girl&#39;s voice must&#39;ve excitied a lot of people, including someone with connections I guess. I&#39;m sure it&#39;s all in some article somewhere...

As for Dido, am I right in thinking Dre&#39;s use of one of her tracks got her enough exposure to inspire a relaunch aimed at all them talentless, faceless, secretary/PA/Bridgett Jones&#39;s that flood Pitcher &amp; Pianos up and down the country with cheap white wine and have their car stereos tuned to Melody - we won&#39;t play anything remotely offensive to any living thing FM? Wish he didn&#39;t sample her... How the fuck did he smell hit through that song anyway? Guy must have some kind of genius divining hit rod in his head.

I fucking hate Dido purely for her music. It is abysmal, navel gazing shit. Utter shit. I have to mute every fucking TV show stupid enough to use her music. God.
                        http://wakeupanddie.com
                        http://weirdgearnyc.com
                        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I hate Dido&#39;s music too. Which makes Dre a genius for creating something worthwhile out of &#39;Thank You&#39; (Eminem&#39;s &#39;Stan&#39;, Nick). And which is why I have absolutely no problem with the majors getting behind Joss Stone. There maybe better singers out there but I think her voice IS great and I just hope that she gets the career she wants (and that the bizness doesn&#39;t fuck it up).

Comment

Dido is music for people who don&#39;t really like music, but think they had better buy something in case people think they&#39;re a bit strange for sitting in silence.

The sad thing is *most* people fit in that category. And they&#39;ve not realised it yet. So they keep on buying Dido &amp; The Lighthouse Family and the consipiricy of non-silence goes on......
                            Matt Hero

Comment

Just to come correct - When I said &#39;do a dido&#39;, I meant in the same sense of a sleeper hit selling squillions.

Not in the sense that I hope she turns out f**king awful cod easy shite music.

Where&#39;s benicio when you need him? He can write an eloquent rant on the spot&#33;

Comment

Working...
                              X