Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone every written a press release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone every written a press release?

Just been asked to do this and I just wondered if anyone had any advice about it?

I was just going to stick on there contact details, release name, release date - some blurb about the record and below a wee label bio.

Sound good?
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

serms,

i&#39;ve had to write quite a few. email me yours when you&#39;re done and i&#39;ll look over it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (sermad @ April 16 2004,13:37)]Just been asked to do this and I just wondered if anyone had any advice about it?

I was just going to stick on there contact details, release name, release date - some blurb about the record and below a wee label bio.

Sound good?
      Shedloads mate.

What&#39;s it for - as in mailout to DJ&#39;s, mailout to press etc

Sounding OK so far BTW

Comment

Cool thanks dudes&#33; I have to knock one up this weekend. Its for distributors so they know what to say when selling the record.

Speaking of DJ mailouts - anyone every used an agency to do this? I know zzonked a little bit and have been round there but never thought that it was worth it for our wee releases.

Normally I just rape contacts off everyone else and mail out to the dj&#39;s personally. Anyone fancy swapping a contacts database?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (sermad @ April 16 2004,14:02)]Cool thanks dudes&#33; I have to knock one up this weekend. Its for distributors so they know what to say when selling the record.

Speaking of DJ mailouts - anyone every used an agency to do this? I know zzonked a little bit and have been round there but never thought that it was worth it for our wee releases.

Normally I just rape contacts off everyone else and mail out to the dj&#39;s personally. Anyone fancy swapping a contacts database?
          If it&#39;s for Distributors, make sure you have the following criteria on your sheet;

Artist
          Title
          Catalogue Number
          Barcode (if applicable)
          Release Date
          Unit Price
          Sales pitch for the record
          Brief Artist bio - current movements et al
          Bried Label bio - previous releases &amp; what&#39;s to come

Agency Mailouts are expensive - very expensive - and there are plenty around that do a good job. But expect something like £500 and upwards to mail up say 100 (and that&#39;s based on an old price from Whitenoise). They&#39;re not worth it unless you can cut a deal on a number of releases. That way you kill two birds with one stone, promoting your artists, but raising lable profile at the same time. Obviously there are exceptions but by and large they only worth it if you&#39;re shifting good units in the first place.

Having said that, if you can cut a deal with the Darling Department, then you&#39;re laughing.

Comment

Wicked thanks again &#39;Lord&#39; Belson.

Comment

I have but they were to go out by the Minister for Agriculture not the Minister of New New Super Heavy Funk. So I doubt I can suggest anything of interest.

I am always then a bit horrified/ unsuprised when journos take it lock stock and barrell and pretend they&#39;ve witten an article. Money for old rope it seems half the time.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (sermad @ April 16 2004,14:35)]Wicked thanks again &#39;Lord&#39; Belson.
                I work for a distributor, and do all their one-sheets. Just as Belson said, include all that stuff and make it look nice.

Do it yourself, don&#39;t use an agency, for the type of music you are trying to push, it&#39;s a waste of money. I can give you details of DJs in Australia and mailing lists and I&#39;m sure you can find other people willing to give up lists&#33; Just post on message boards, get advertising at Soul Strut, etc.

peace.

Comment

Every thing you wrote sounds fine, Serm. There&#39;s no big secret to press releases. Some of the ones I&#39;ve read are so shocking that you&#39;re more than halfway there&#33;
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ April 16 2004,14:56)]I am always then a bit horrified/ unsuprised when journos take it lock stock and barrell and pretend they&#39;ve witten an article. Money for old rope it seems half the time.
                    Stand up DJ magazine. I nearly called the journalist to ask for my 99% of his fee (he added one word at the end)

Still, at least it showed that it was worth me writing my own press release, despite dreading doing so ...
                    FunkyDown
                    Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Dr Rubberfunk @ April 15 2004,17:51)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ April 16 2004,14:56)]I am always then a bit horrified/ unsuprised when journos take it lock stock and barrell and pretend they&#39;ve witten an article. Money for old rope it seems half the time.
                      Stand up DJ magazine. I nearly called the journalist to ask for my 99% of his fee (he added one word at the end)

Still, at least it showed that it was worth me writing my own press release, despite dreading doing so ...  
                      Ah, we&#39;re a lazy lot, to be sure, but bear in mind we&#39;re often doing stuff way in advance, and don&#39;t have the luxury of (sometimes) even seeing the thing we&#39;re writing about before filing copy. But from the press-release writer&#39;s viewpoint, it&#39;s probably a plus because you&#39;ll get what you want communicated into the article. And I ALWAYS rephrase it, just to cover my tracks. I&#39;m conscientious like that...

More helpfully, I see tons of them, day in day out, and there are few hard fast rules beyond Greg&#39;s list of the info to make sure you include. Most are single page, starting with label heading, catralogue number, title, release date, price etc, go into a short para or two describing the thing and drawing attention to recommended tracks, any newsworthy guests/colaborators etc, then finishing up with artist biog, previous releases etc. Then press contacts.
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                      X