George shearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George shearing

on holiday this week and managed to have a couple of days checking out the charity shops, nothing much to report apart from george shearing, 'the way we were' (MPS/BASF) LP i bought it for the simple reason it had 'aquarius' on it and what a blinding version it is to (heavy bass, bongos, breaks, funky piano) and there's also a great version of eleanor rigby as well, anyone else heard this LP, also there were some more george shearing LP's in the shop as well, should i have bought them all?
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

Yeah, great version tht Aquarius. I've got about 7 of his LPs, but most of the stuff I've got is straight up 50s jazz, with the occasional crazy time signature experiments (Time Out and Time Further Out, I think those two LPs are called). Not great for the funk, but maybe there are some other modern albums worth checking.

You should also keep an eye out for the album he did with Dakota Staton (Candi's mum), which is smokey jazz and blues standards and very nice, too.
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

The LP he did with Tito Puente, "Mambo Diablo" on Concord/Picante is well worth tracking down as it has arguably one of the best versions of Take 5 ever dropped (even better than Keith Mansfield's take).

Massive uptempo groove, killer opening piano line, great soloing (trumpet/sax) and a timbale break that will slay any dancefloor...and all from a great year, 1986 (sounds more like '72/'73)

Can be found cheap (found 2 in the last month - 5 quid from Haggle, 3 bucks at Chicago Jazz Mart). Was comped on one of the Jazz Juice series a few years back but don't know which issue.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (spiralbeat. @ April 16 2004,21:23)]Can be found cheap (found 2 in the last month - 5 quid from Haggle, 3 bucks at Chicago Jazz Mart). Was comped on one of the Jazz Juice series a few years back but don't know which issue.
        It's on Vol.7 of the Jazz Juice twelves which also features Bobo's 'Boogaloo In Room 802' amongst the other 5 tracks
        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

LBG - Time Out and Time Further Out are Dave Brubeck&#33;

Mambo No 2 is nice, although i forget which album it&#39;s on (one of the late 50s quintet ones)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (bongolia @ April 17 2004,10:45)]LBG - Time Out and Time Further Out are Dave Brubeck&#33;

Mambo No 2 is nice, although i forget which album it&#39;s on (one of the late 50s quintet ones)
            Ahem. This is what happens when you&#39;re too lazy to check your records.
            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

There are also 2 different cover to the Shearing LP. I think one has a bunch of male faces and the other has ..... well I can&#39;t remember right now because I&#39;m at work&#33;
              http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

I like the cover of &#39;the world is a ghetto&#39; lots.

hello.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Motown67 @ April 19 2004,20:05)]There are also 2 different cover to the Shearing LP. I think one has a bunch of male faces and the other has ..... well I can&#39;t remember right now because I&#39;m at work&#33;  
                  The other one has an orange cover with uhm, a little glass hand pendant on it. I&#39;ve found 4 copies in the last 6 months... no clue why it&#39;s so common here right now.

Comment

Working...
                  X