Gabrieli brass canterbury pilgrims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabrieli brass canterbury pilgrims

Picked up a copy of this on Saturday: Gabrieli Brass, 'The Canterbury Pilgrims' (Polydor, 1967) - narration by Martin Starkie, music composed & arranged by John Hawkins & Richard Hill. It's a bizarre mix of UK easy jazz mixed with snippets of fruitily spoken Chaucer &, really, excellent stuff...very quirky, and one of those 'could only have come out in 1967/8' type deals where the notion of backing a few lines of spoken word with groovy soundtrack jazz seemed quite a sensible way of going about things. Recommended if you're into that English oddity vibe. I gather Gabrieli Brass are mostly a classical outfit, but anyone know of any other atypical excursions like this by them?
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

They did an LP in Polydor's Circle Of Sound series called 'Band Of Gold', which has a few good 'uns on it, including a huge sounding version of 'Tears Of A Clown'.

John Hawkins and Richard Hill both contributed a fair bit to the Regency Line and Bruton libraries, and Hawkins was also MD on the LP by Stuart Damon off 'The Champions', which has a great version of 'Son Of Hickory Holler's Tramp' on it.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (wayne @ April 19 2004,00:19)]Picked up a copy of this on Saturday: Gabrieli Brass, 'The Canterbury Pilgrims' (Polydor, 1967) - narration by Martin Starkie, music composed & arranged by John Hawkins & Richard Hill. It's a bizarre mix of UK easy jazz mixed with snippets of fruitily spoken Chaucer &, really, excellent stuff...very quirky, and one of those 'could only have come out in 1967/8' type deals where the notion of backing a few lines of spoken word with groovy soundtrack jazz seemed quite a sensible way of going about things. Recommended if you're into that English oddity vibe. I gather Gabrieli Brass are mostly a classical outfit, but anyone know of any other atypical excursions like this by them?
      I got this one a yeasr or so ago, and really didn't think very much of it.

I reckon the best thing Johnny Hawkins did was the 1979 'Web of Intrigue/Investigator' Bruton LP.
      Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Richard Hill arranged and produced an album the following year under the guise 'The gentle power of song' called 'Circus'.
        It's mostly made up of covers whilst Hill pens about 4 tunes himself.
        -
        You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
        but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

Working...
        X