X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (sermad @ April 21 2004,00:40)]Happy belated birthday simon! Always thought you were older (due to your mekon sized knowledge)...

Where did you get the Big Jazz and Big Beat? The purple cover one? I'm not sure I liked it to be honest...
    Ta Serms - I've been collecting this sort of music since I was ten, and in those pre-internet days I decided no-one else gave a monkeys about it, so if I wanted to know more I'd have to do it myself. Now all these years later I finally have people I can unload all this useless info on.....

'Big Jazz and Big Beat' does have a purple cover, I think, with outlines of various people on the front - LPSG1002 I think the number is. The Johnny Pearson tracks are the best - real swinging London stuff! Do you know if there was ever a vol. 2?

Leave a comment:

• kidsaer
    replied
    too wet and no trasport so i opted for the charity shops instead ive been finding it very hard work to say the least! all ive managed to pull this week in the charity shop is-
    cop show themes-henry mancini (rca)
    super funk- various(sugarhill)(inc full version of 8th wonder which is cool as its a radio edit on the album, and aint found the 12" yet&#33
    he's the dj im the rapper-dj jazzy jeff & the fresh prince (jive) (finally got a mint copy as my other copy is thrashed&#33

Leave a comment:

• wooly
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wayne @ April 20 2004,23:44)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ April 19 2004,22:39)]Well, I've always liked the song anyway, but I think the Nero version could even impress non-believers.
    ...as could Pete Moore's on 'Exciting Sounds Of Tomorrow'. Superb!
    let's not forget cyril ornadel's stereo action version. first class - and i've a spare if anyone needs one.

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    Happy belated birthday simon! Always thought you were older (due to your mekon sized knowledge)...

Where did you get the Big Jazz and Big Beat? The purple cover one? I'm not sure I liked it to be honest...

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ April 19 2004,22:39)]Well, I've always liked the song anyway, but I think the Nero version could even impress non-believers.
    ...as could Pete Moore's on 'Exciting Sounds Of Tomorrow'. Superb!

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Well, I've always liked the song anyway, but I think the Nero version could even impress non-believers.

I do agree about the Muppets version, though.....and for those who care, the version used on Alan Partridge was by the Kings Singers, another version I really like.

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Peter Duchin's is pretty decent - nifty piano over some cracking drums (hang on, I need to get a clean copy at some point - it's crap and none of you need bother with it ). And Dorothy Ashby's is nice too.

Leave a comment:

• dr kraken
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ April 20 2004,14:52)]Hits from Hair to Hollywood - Peter Nero
    Best 'Windmills Of Your Mind' ever.
    So how many good versions are there?

Generally I find Windmills of Your Mind to be a tedious affair, with the exception of versions by...

BDB: The best thing about this is that it keeps rising to a psyche-tastic crescendo which suddenly gives way to Ray's muted parping accompanied by a latin rhythm with plenty of scraper action. Bliss. Funk aside, this has to be one of Ray's all-time best arrangements. The vocal group is surprisingly tolerable too.

The muppets. But mainly because of the visuals. (I suppose that also qualifies the version that accompanied Alan Partridge skulking round the pulping plant).

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    The Peter Nero Hair covers are pretty good actually - piano and orchestra with a little bit of female vox and a few swishes of what must have been a very early Moog. 'Windmills...' is the killer on that LP though - all Moog, and some brilliant funky drumming. I don't know whether this LP came up in the Nero discussion that pops up occasionally here, but it's fantastic!

And, if you can forget about his detention at Her Majesty's Extreme Pleasure (and his horrible singing voice), Jonathan King's version of the Supremes' 'Reflections' is actually amazing. Best put a disguise on when you buy it, though.......

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    And these have dropped through the letterbox in the past few days...

Mongo Santamaria 'Heighty Hi/Sunshine Of Your Love'
    Tobi Larke 'Shake A Hand'
    Claude Francois 'Reveries'
    Marva Hodge And The Moody Sec 'Let The Sunshine In/00-43-GM'
    Joss Stone 'Fell In Love With A Boy'  

Plenty more on the way, PO permitting...

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ April 20 2004,14:52)]A Rose in a Fisted Glove - Jonathan King
    Surely your making that one up, just to check whether we're paying attention?!?  

Anyway, a belated Happy Birthday to you Lord T!!! How's the Peter Nero LP - what're the Hair covers like?

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    It was my birthday on Friday - to celebrate reaching the grand old age of 24, I ventured off to the big smoke to purchase some over-priced vinyl.

Here's what I came back with......

Big Jazz & Big Beat vol 1 (Studio G)
    Some amazing tracks from Johnny Pearson, plus 'Sounds On', the 1970s Grampian Television start-up music!

Dimensions In Sound (Amphonic)
    It's got a tune called 'Freak Out' on it - well, you would, wouldn't you?

A Common Theme For Industry (Boosey & Hawkes)
    Good stuff from the Bastow Bros, including a different mix of a track that got commercially released in South Africa.

Fanfares, Links, Bridges & Stings vol. 2 (Bruton)
    Includes the Westward TV ident music, and the logos for virtually every video company of the 1980s!

On The Coast - Martin Kershaw (Bruton)
    Channel 4 test card music...nice

Hits from Hair to Hollywood - Peter Nero
    Best 'Windmills Of Your Mind' ever.

We Believe In Music - United States European Command
    Musicians from the US Airforce do a very interesting take on Janis Joplin's 'Move Over'

The Very Best of Felix Slovacek
    Czech sax player does a good 'Flight Of The Bumblebee'

Softly Whispering I Love You - The (English) Congregation
    Features Alan Parker on guitar

Sonnenschein - Ideen der guten Laune - Frank Valdor
    Promo LP for a German cigarette company, Frank covers German hits in his usual style

Unknown one-sided test pressing
    Turned out to be side one of a Roger Whittaker LP - not that I'm complaining!

Greatest Hits - Ekseption
    Dutch classical progsters - excellent

A Rose in a Fisted Glove - Jonathan King
    I have no shame......but it does have Alan Hawkshaw on it!

Top Of The Pops vol 92
    At last - the very last one ever issued! Not even Linda Lusardi in a bacofoil basque could persuade Pickwick these LPs were still a going concern....

Happy Saxophon A Gogo - Frank Valdor
    More German big band shenanigans

And also a couple of CDs from Wooly - I'm enjoying some 'Late Night Cookery' as I type - top stuff!

Leave a comment:

• Funky Tee
    replied
    From the net:

KPM -synthesis

Got theese libs from a trade:
    Parry Music -Drama and Action
    Boosey and Hawkes -The Cavendish Orchestra

I'm waiting for a copy of KPM "contempo", how is it actually?
    ..and a copy of John Dankworth's "Movies'n me"

Leave a comment:

• DJ Sheep
    replied
    Wool - Self-Titled LP

Leave a comment:

• Col Wolfe
    replied
    got my long awaited deWolfe trades from an American contact this weekend: 9-10-Out, Heavy Truckin, Hogan/Hawk/Dirty John, Gun Barrell Highway, Synthesizer Contact, Hot Night, Motivation, Backing Tracks: Rock + Funk Instrumental, Big Beat.

and a few 45s...
    Jess & James - Something For Nothing - 1968 Euro-Beat
    BGR - Tightrope/I Want To Make Love To You - nice funky doublesider
    Etta James - Fire - still nice
    Cash McCall - I'm In Danger - this upfront soul cut on Checker must surely be the influence for 'Try It' by Standells/Attack. Wicked.
    Auger/Driscoll -

Leave a comment:

Working...
X