Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada

So i'm off to Canada in September. Anyone here know of any good spots to check out? I'm still planning at the mo so I'm open to all suggestions.

Anyone else been there / had experiences of digging / bringing back vinyl from North America??

any tips much appreciated
    www.myspace.com/usofaudio
    www.myspace.com/detectivesofperspective
    www.detectivesofperspective.com/

Okay, so who gets to say it this time...?
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

I was there recently but didn't get to do any digging - BAH!

Coldcut namecheck a store in Montreal in the sleeve notes to their Lifestyles comp so you could have a gander at that and I've heard about a great place in Calgary (don't even want to think about that one . It's such a huge country that there must be loads of stuff to be had!

Nick is that the standard 'phone book' response or try S.S. (and be ingnored) response?
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Or the 'nope, no records in Canada' response? I'm all for asking 'cos phonebooks don't review record shops   .

Anyway, go for the country - it's beautiful - and try to find the spots wherever you are. Sadly the Vinyl Museum is no longer open for business (?) but if you're in Toronto try Queen Street. There's plenty of record stores and junk shops and they should be able to point you in the right direction. And think about getting in touch with Symon Warwick And the 'Movement' people (couldn't find them on the web but there's a piece in one of the early Big Daddys and I may even have a flyer knocking around somewhere) - Symon used to trade and should be able to help, and the club would be a good place to go if you're in town. Also, try StopAndCop (Rory Greentea right?) who I think is in Montreal. It maybe worth thinking about taking some UKonlycommonnotraer for trade, depending on how you'll be travelling. Enjoy!
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Symon still trades and he's a damn cool guy. There is also kev (soulfriere) I think who is also great.

I know will (quantic) raves about canada - says its the best place he's ever been for records. If you tell me what cities then I can name contacts and places.

Prepare to get dusty!
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Nope, no records in Canada

Is the set response&#33; Jonny (Palmer Eldrich) went digging around Canada, he might have some info when he reads this...
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ April 22 2004,14:29)]Or the &#39;nope, no records in Canada&#39; response? I&#39;m all for asking &#39;cos phonebooks don&#39;t review record shops   .
              That&#39;s why they have a phone number, Rich - so you can call them and ask them some questions. Predominantly vinyl? Sellable stock you have? Average price range? Rarity stock?Decide from that which store you&#39;re going to hit first and after you&#39;ve bought your first shedload, start talking to the teller/owner. They&#39;ll point you in the direction of some of the local knowledge hotness.

It really is that simple. Use the yellow pages in your hotel room. Or at least, it works for me everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Belson @ April 22 2004,15:40)]That&#39;s why they have a phone number, Rich - so you can call them and ask them some questions. Predominantly vinyl? Sellable stock you have? Average price range? Rarity stock?Decide from that which store you&#39;re going to hit first and after you&#39;ve bought your first shedload, start talking to the teller/owner. They&#39;ll point you in the direction of some of the local knowledge hotness.

It really is that simple. Use the yellow pages in your hotel room. Or at least, it works for me everytime.
                Yes, but... Surely that&#39;s why we&#39;re all in here, to share knowledge? There&#39;s no harm in asking (especially when Ed and John appear to have covered half the globe between them) - the worst that can happen is nobody responding. And if USA&#39;s still planning his trip getting the knowledge ahead of arriving at his hotel (only to find Q-Tip and T-Ray have ripped the pages out of the phonebook already ) should help.
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ April 22 2004,15:57)]Yes, but... Surely that&#39;s why we&#39;re all in here, to share knowledge?
                  Exactly, Rich - which is why I&#39;ve imparted probably the best piece of advice that was ever given to me. It&#39;s by talking to the local dealers that you&#39;ll get the best tip offs. A record collection just been bought by so and so, they&#39;ve got some nice pieces in there, oh and did you know about this flea market etc etc.

Find yourself a yellow pages.........Q-Tip can&#39;t have torn out all the pages in the millions of phone books in Canada. Not to mention they will always have a super clean, brand spanking new edition by the Registration desk.

Comment

[QUOTE I know will (quantic) raves about canada - says its the best place he&#39;s ever been for records.]

Totally agree. I went to Montreal last summer and had 4 great days of diggin. You should definitely put it on your agenda. Based on exchange rates, there&#39;s some value to be had up there.

The best places are on the East-Side along Saint-Denis. Probably the side of town where you would want to stay anyways. I can recommend Hotel Pierre on Sherbrooke - It&#39;s run by a gay fella who only takes cash in hand and has some of the most disturbing psychedelic rooms imaginable (very cool actually and well worth the experience).

Here are some spots;

Francophonies; Relatively new spot that just sells French stuff if I remember rightly, tons of 45s, some nice stuff here.

L&#39; Echange

Le Pick Up (good stuff here)

Primitive &amp; Pop Shop (owned by the same geezer) - My two favourite spots.

There is a place downtown called Mars which is a big basement with tons of vinyl. Most pieces are in appalling condition and a total health hazard but there is volume. Oh&#33; And take a portable.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Comment

I totally agree with Spiralbeat about Montreal being wicked for digging, i went there last september and picked up loads of stuff. I found so many record shops around the Rue Saint Denis. One of them&#39;s interior was completely covered in tin foil, and was chocka with good records, cant remember the name though&#33;

That basement shop is mind-blowing too, found it totally by accident. Its like the shop basement from &quot;Scratch&quot;, all that vinyl everywhere, and complete with old guy manager. I asked him for some particular artists, and he just pointed me at a huge stack of vinyl and said &quot;there you go. good luck&quot;

Queens street in Toronto i found pretty pricey in comparison, but one shop near the start of the street had tons of 7&quot;s to dig through.

Oh, and if you get hungry from all that digging in Montreal, you have to go to Schwarz&#39;s for a pastrami sandwich, those things are amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X