Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazilian compilations!

Guys.

Its a friends birthday tomorrow and she loves brazilian music - She is fluent in portuguese so likes vocals.

I already gave her gal costa's first two lps (those exact boot lps) and she went nuts for gal! (Don't we all&#33

So any recommendations for any comps things that are brazilian, funky and with vocals.

Black Rio any cop? etc.

www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (sermad @ April 23 2004,16:56)]Guys.

Its a friends birthday tomorrow and she loves brazilian music - She is fluent in portuguese so likes vocals.

I already gave her gal costa&#39;s first two lps (those lovely exact boot lps) and she went nuts for gal&#33; (Don&#39;t we all&#33

So any recommendations for any comps things that are brazilian, funky and with vocals.

Black Rio any cop? etc.
    Right quick,

Blue Brazil - on Blue Note are easily available plus the Talkin Jazz ones had some nice stuff (Brazilica vols 1-3 as well)

Plus theres the Glucklich stuff on a brazil/jazz/vibe...

The Mr Bongo comps are pretty good too...best of Marcos Valle vols 1and 2 are great.

that&#39;s a start anyway...

Comment

Cheers cheebs&#33;

Thought of a dead obvious one - City Of God OST. This was pure butter. The remix 12&#39;s are WELL worth getting. Some dirty drum n bass with jazzy touches there.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

If you can still get them, the David Byrne ones on Luaka Bop from the early/mid 90s give a pretty solid overview of the whole scene: Gal Costa, Caetano Veloso, Jorge Ben, Maria Bethania, Gilberto Gil etc. The other great one is the Tropicalia comp (whose Portugeuse title I can&#39;t remember offhand) with Costa, Veloso, Gil, Tom Ze etc all doing each others&#39; songs in 1968 with Os Mutantes backing them all up. And those exact copy reissues did an issue of Marcos Valle&#39;s &#39;Garra&#39;, too, which is a pretty superb one IMO...
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Serms - see the Texas Funk thread - Fopp are doing a promotion on this stuff
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

If I had the ability and didn&#39;t have the distinct feeling that someone may track me down and knife me, I&#39;d do a Ibiza-style remix of Joyce&#39;s &#39;Feminina&#39;, the guitar intro as the hook and the outro as the chorus. I heard a vaguely Latin house tune last week and the similarity struck me.

That tune would lend itself perfectly to a decent remix. But I&#39;m notoriously slow so it&#39;s probably already been done&#33;&#33;
            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

i know the birthday is gone now, but you guys must peep the via brazil compilations (1&amp;2). simply amazing stuff, loads of soul, some soundtracky stuff, vocals scatt and such. i got a feeling they might be boots, since they come from very near the g.a.m.m. camp, but could be legit as well. these guys should be able to sort you out with them (if anyone): www.recordmania.net/
              er

Comment

just noticed that there&#39;s number three out now as well.
                er

Comment

Sermad, don&#39;t know if you&#39;re still after this stuff, but go check out the Soho Mister CD shop on Berwick Street (opposite Reckless) - was in London yesterday on a flying work trip, and they&#39;ve got a rack of those exact replica vinyl reissues on sale for £2 each - 3 from Marcos Valle, 3 by Jorge Ben, Luis Carlos Vinhas &#39;Novas Estruturas&#39;, couple of Joyce ones, etc etc. About 20 titles, all new &amp; minty, racked up on the landing out the back of the shop upstairs...

I like Mister CD&#39;s basement - alongside 8 Brazilian reissues on vinyl, also pulled out the CDs of the Loot OST, Mo&#39;Wax Parsley Sound set, Sub Pop&#39;s Acid Mothers Temple/Kinski CD, Pretty Things&#39; SF Sorrow, the Ready Steady Boogaloo Amphonic comp, Etienne Charry &amp; Count Indigo CDs on Tricatel, Monade &#39;Bedroom Recordings&#39; CD, comps of Memphis Minnie and Esquerita and &#39;The Space Negros Do Generic Ethnic Muzak Versions Of All Your Favourite Punk/Garage Songs From The Sixties&#39; on &#39;Arf &#39;Arf (which I&#39;ve been looking for for ages) all for a quid or £2 each. Nice&#33;
                  a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                  X