Johnny hawksworth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny hawksworth

Howdy y'all, err, i've got a crack at a bunch of Chappell Hawksworths, thing is there's loads of the buggers and the geezer's comming round expecting me to actually know what i'm talking about, here's the rub, i aint got a bloomin' clue what the good ones are. Anyone got any good reccomendations as to the decent lp's (bear in mind that i'm not looking for ultra funky gear, just nice tunefull stuff). Actually ANY label would do as i dont have much of 'our' Johnny's music.
    Much appreciated as always folks!.
    derelicts of dialect

Referring to my copy of 'Natural Born Fillers', LPC1038 has some good stuff on it, though most of my Hawksworth Chappell stuff is on 78s.

LPC1056 is one side Johnny H and the other side John Cacavas, and there's a few good 'uns there as well.

If there's any you don't like, can I have 'em?

Comment

I have his 'Johnny Hawksworth Pop' release on the French IM label. It's got some really nice big band funk on it and is worth tracking down. Can be a bit pricey though as I've seen it on dealers lists typically in the 50-60 quid range.

Comment

Bump.

Does anyone know whether Johnny Hawksworth "Salute to Thames" theme was ever available on an LP or 7"?

T.I.A.

Comment

I don't think so - I believe it was specially recorded for Thames by KPM, so hopefully the master tape might still be knocking around their vaults somewhere.

I've heard unconfirmed rumours that Gavin Sutherland might be recording a version for one of his orchestral CDs (he's already done 'The Widespread World Of Rediffusion' with the City of Prague Philharmonic) which might be the best chance of finding a copy. Will they be able to get the squeaky trumpets right, though?

Comment

re: thames theme...

can't confirm this as i'm away from home for a few days, but i recently picked up an album by (i think) the brodsky string quartet that i'm sure had a baroque version of the thames salute... even more strangely, the album was endorsed by none other than jimmy saville!!

GtG

ps - just in case no-one's already aware, the original theme is on the "music of the sweeney" cd...
            all it takes for evil to flourish...hopefully you know the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
              I don't think so - I believe it was specially recorded for Thames by KPM, so hopefully the master tape might still be knocking around their vaults somewhere.

I've heard unconfirmed rumours that Gavin Sutherland might be recording a version for one of his orchestral CDs (he's already done 'The Widespread World Of Rediffusion' with the City of Prague Philharmonic) which might be the best chance of finding a copy. Will they be able to get the squeaky trumpets right, though?
              Thanks for the info Mr. Thames.

Originally posted by groover
              ps - just in case no-one's already aware, the original theme is on the "music of the sweeney" cd...
              I'll have to try and snatch up a copy.

Comment

'Shut It!' - The Music Of The Sweeney is a fantastic cd.

Much Thames-ness here.. http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/itvlondon/thamesmain-new.html

and a host of Flash idents here.. http://625.uk.com/TV_LOGOS/flash.htm

Ed
                www.myspace.com/edrum

Comment

Working...
                X