Beastie Boys vs T.W.A.T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beastie Boys vs T.W.A.T

Thought that in the current climate this timely, topical biznizz from the Beasties would be of interest to the vultures. They've done a track speaking out against the war, and there's a link to it on their web site, bless 'em:

http://www.beastieboys.com/
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

It's my grandparents 60th wedding annversary today and 'president' Bush is showing his respect by slaughtering Iraqis. Thanks George.

As well as that Beasties track there's a bunch of Saul Williams tracks and remixes plus some video footage available for freebie download too.

http://www.notinournamemusic.com/home.php

Comment

And here's what Michael Moore had to say to Bush on the eve of the war - IMO I think HE should run for presidency!!! Hilarious and true. Word.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=15406

Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

I love Michael Moore. Everyone needs to read 'Stupid White Men'. The sad thing is the world is going to be a more dangerous place once this is 'over'. And Iran is next on their list. Another dictatorship installed by the US government. ho-de-hum.

'Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service. I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested.'

- Major General Smedley Butler, who was twice awarded the Medal of Honour while serving for more than 30 years in the United States Marine Corps

Comment

In a parallel dimension, Michael Moore is President, we never interfered in Iraq's business when we wanted to contain Iran (uh, Doh!) so Saddam was deposed long ago, and Tony Blair is actually a Labour politician. Today, I'm just wishing I lived in that dimension instead of this one...

Hey, and big up to the Dixie Chicks if they really have come out against Bush! Hate their music, but credit where it's due...

Look like a pickled egg he might, but Mark Lawson did see this coming - his column the week Bush hijacked the presidency noted that the son would be looking for a pretext to avenge his father's disgrace at being politically outlived by SH... and, thick as pigshit as he is, he hasn't actually found a pretext, but just gone to war anyway. Dad must be beaming tonight, eh?

Uh, better stop. My finger's moving towards the keys that spell swear words... LOTS of swear words of a VERY obscene and impolite nature...
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

</span>
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ]Quote: from wayne on 11:50 pm on Mar. 20, 2003

Look like a pickled egg he might, but Mark Lawson did see this coming - his column the week Bush hijacked the presidency noted that the son would be looking for a pretext to avenge his father's disgrace at being politically outlived by SH... and, thick as pigshit as he is, he hasn't actually found a pretext, but just gone to war anyway. Dad must be beaming tonight, eh?
            <span =''>

I'd heard that Bush Snr actually spoke out to the effect that he considered it &quot;unadvisable&quot; to move on Iraq without international consensus... though I do not recall where so it may be spurious.

Brings this to mind:

http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/STRIP_74.html

Comment

On a music / war note this is what happens on the 'impartial' BBC after they've got their hands on your licence fee. I thought the days of censorship were over but obviousl not. And big respect to the Dixie Chicks for backtracking on their comments once they saw their sales plummet. Glad to see they've got their priorities in the right place.

Colin

BBC STOPS DJ'S PLAYING :

'BUSH AND BLAIR' by LIFE (ZEBRA TRAFFIC RECORDS)

We have recently been informed that the BBC have told a number of DJ's to stop playing the above record.

DJ's on BBC 1XTRA have been playing the record for the past 8 weeks. They have now been told not to play it.

MR SCRUFF recently presented a 2 hour mix to BBC radio which had a 20 minute 'peace' section which included the above record. He was told that he could not use 'Bush &amp; Blair' in his mix.

This is very frustrating as license fee payers and an independent record label, particularly as the track has been played on a number of regional radio shows across the UK including Brighton, Liverpool, Manchester, Dublin, Glasgow and London. John Kennedy from XFM playlisted it for a week and invited people to phone in and discuss it - isn't this what democracy is about?

The track is about to appear on the album 'PEACE NOT WAR' alongside tracks from Ms Dynamite, Massive Attack, Beastie Boys, Alabama 3 and Roots Manuva.

This is not just a music issue but one of censorship. Please let us or the BBC now your feeling on this matter.

Zebra Traffic / Tru Thoughts

Tel: +44 (0)1273 694617

Fax: +44 (0)1273 694589

email:  [email protected] OR [email protected]

http://www.myspace.com/colinmillar

Comment

The first thing that suffers in these events is freedom of information shortly followed by freedom of speech. We've seen steady erosion of both of these since the (cough) 'War On Terrorism' began and it is in small ways such as this slightly insidious 'ban' on records and in larger ways (like the imposition of a settlement on the firemen under the guise of 'national security') that we feel them.

Oh, on a sort related thought, if you've not done so so far, read Christopher Hitchens' 'The Trial Of Henry Kissinger' and next time someone asks 'What Has the US done that's so bad ?' you'll have some 'ammunition'.
                Matt Hero

Comment

&quot;DJ Fired for playing Peace Jazz&quot;

That was the headline from the Mail on Sunday in 1991 after Gilles Peterson was sacked by Jazz Fm for playing a selection of tunes (Mighty Ryeders, Funk Inc, Curtis etc etc) from the Vietnam era after the start of Bush Senior's previous attempt to secure Iraqi oilfields for the US.

It all seemed faintly ridiculous at the time, jumping up in Dingwalls that sunday shouting 'Fuck Jazz FM' between tunes. It seems more serious now, that freedom to express an opinion can be restricted, that a piece of music can be banned because of the sentiment contained within.

The current political situation makes me feel completely powerless and the realisation of just how far removed 'ordinary' peoples concerns are from those who are supposed to represent us is thoroughly depressing.

Oh arse.
                  Stop wasting your money on records and get a proper hobby.

Comment

</span>
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]Quote: from formigo on 5:49 am on Mar. 21, 2003
                    </span>
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]Quote: from wayne on 11:50 pm on Mar. 20, 2003

<span =''>

I'd heard that Bush Snr actually spoke out to the effect that he considered it &quot;unadvisable&quot; to move on Iraq without international consensus... though I do not recall where so it may be spurious.

Brings this to mind:

http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/STRIP_74.html
                    <span =''>

May well be true - let's not underestimate the stupidity of GB jnr on this one...I mean, even GB snr seems like a bit of an intellectual giant in comparison (and this is a guy who seemed lightweight after Reagan...). At least GB snr saw the advantage of having a UN fig-leaf to cover the bollocks he was talking... I mean, weapons of mass destruction? Threats to use them? Support for terrorist groups and dictatorships? Violation of UN charters and International treaties? A ruling elite gaining power by and operating through bribery, nepotism and blackmail, ignoring the democratic will of its people? Has George Bush jnr actually GOT a mirror??
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                    X