Mid week diggin' & im feeling good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid week diggin' & im feeling good!

Had to work this morning so did't hold much hope for hittin' my spot at 1300 hours, I'll have dreams 'bout what I missed!

Goodies: (£40.00 spent, this guy is my man)

JB'S - Food For Though - US Orig People (in shrink)
    Don Cherry - Here & Now - US Atlantic (Universal Mother)
    Bunny Wailer - Black Heart Man - Island
    Blue Mitchell - Blues Blues - US Mainstream (Granite & Concrete)
    Gil Evan - Svengali - Atlantic
    Elvin Jones - Midnight Walk - US Atlantic
    An Italian Stereo sound test LP
    Fabrizio De Andre in Concert - Dishi Recs (???dunno)
    Jabula - Virgin UK (Dudu Pukwana) '74

£1.00 ish:

Helen Reddy - I am Woman (Hit the Road Jack)
    Manfred Manns Earth Band - Messing
    A few early 80's Polish LP that look promising
    Frank Pourcel - 20 Top Instrumentals - Pathe France
    Laurel Sparkees & the Flintmen - Red Hot Reggae - Saga (Covers LP, looks dope)
    Christine Lewin - 12"- Juicy Fruit (Version of Mtume) - Kufe
    Fontana Orch / Reg Tisley - Portrait of Bob Dylan - Fontana
    +++ more bog standards
    & best of the bunch......
    Ena Sharples presents "The Lad from Corination Street" - Granda Records. The wierdest LP ive had for a while. Child Actor off Corrie plays violin & organ. Take note Rosie Webster.
    oh & an LP called Doctor Golf on UK RCA, SWINGIN'!!
    You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Where I come from it's a 'plaggy' bag and it wasn't exactly groaning with the weight, but while kicking my heels before going for my dentist appointment, I happened upon a vinyl copy of Dennis Wilson's 'Pacific Ocean Blue' (Wayne, it was from Big Apple and unlike most of the stock there, in really good condition&#33.

So, Mr LHC, you are off the hook!

Not listened to it yet mind, so I could be on here tomorrow asking what all the fuss was about!

Benicio

PS New Beta Band CD, damn fine. If you're already into them, you'll really rate it, if you're coming to it as a Beta virgin, you'll think it's OK, 7/10 kinda thing. Looking forward to seeing them in a couple of weeks anyway.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] ]... oh and an LP called Doctor Golf on UK RCA, SWINGIN'!!

we like Doctor Golf too.... it does indeed 'swing' (pun intended)

Nice bag of finds Boney...
      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ April 30 2004,08:54)]
        Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] ]... oh and an LP called Doctor Golf on UK RCA, SWINGIN'!!

we like Doctor Golf too.... it does indeed 'swing' (pun intended)

Nice bag of finds Boney...
        I remember being disappointed that there aren't actually any 'doctor' samples though
        FunkyDown
        Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Doctor samples? Ewww... like urine, blood etc? *shudder*

In London yesterday, and had a few hours in the afternoon to find a few cheap Brazil reissues & general bargain Cds (and - not being llmod1 - to mostly wander round record-free favourite spot environments like The National Gallery and the Embankment) but also, without even looking:

Ted Heath & His Music - The Big Ones (Decca Phase 4) - the one with Roland Shaw arrangements, 'Spinning Wheel', 'Satisfaction', 'Honky Tonk Women' etc

Fiachra Trench - Organ Party (Major Minor)

Both, oddly enough, in a box in the basement sale of a bookshop on the Charing Cross Road, while looking for something to read on the return train, not in a record place at all. Go figure...
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Really good day: a day off, +15 celcius, sun is shining, nice house warming party this evening etc...

Found couple of babies from flea market (5 euros each):
            - Olli Ahvenlahti - The Poet (this is always a wall flower with 150-200 euros in it if you ever happen to see it)
            - Otto Donner & Juhani Aaltonen - Strings (this goes for 30-50 euros in walls too)

Nice shit and some additional songs to my almost ready easter mix tape

Comment

More postal digs...

Bob Downes Open Music 'Episodes' LP
              Bob Downes Open Music 'Diversions At 4am' LP

Make 'Deep Down Heavy' and 'Electric City' sound like pop music - much of these is just flute and synthesiser or other accompaniment, although some tracks on 'Episodes' do have double bass and drums.

And a bumper bundle of LPs from Germany, including Paul Nero's 'Soul Party' and 'Detroit Soul Party'.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (wayne @ April 30 2004,10:59)]Both, oddly enough, in a box in the basement sale of a bookshop on the Charing Cross Road, while looking for something to read on the return train, not in a record place at all. Go figure...
                Gah! I went past there recently - if I'd known there were records in there I'd have gone in!

Nice find, that Fiachra Trench LP, especially 'Our Day Will Come' - I found mine when I was doing my A-levels, and I had a straight choice: buy 'Organ Time' or buy food. 'Organ Time' won - I was very thin in those days......

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ April 29 2004,14:58)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (wayne @ April 30 2004,10:59)]Both, oddly enough, in a box in the basement sale of a bookshop on the Charing Cross Road, while looking for something to read on the return train, not in a record place at all. Go figure...
                  Gah! I went past there recently - if I'd known there were records in there I'd have gone in!
                  Ah, the advantages of being nerdy in several areas at once!

Actually, to say there were records there is a slight misnomer - there were about seven LPs and a couple of CDs in a pile of old exhibition catalogues and sheet music.

When I picked up the Ted Heath, I thought for a moment I'd got a 60s art exhibition thing in my hands...
                  a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ April 29 2004,17:07)]A few early 80's Polish LP that look promising
                    Any titles?

There are some seriously good 80's pressings I've scooped from a few Polish shops before, one of Krstyna Pronko's joints featuring one of the most heaviest dubbed out breaks I ever heard!

Tom [Green Man] had a very, very nice early eighties sounding disco funk type thing by her the other nite too. I can't recall the title now!
                    I was raised by wolves

Comment

Well, if we're gonna post up fresh deliveries:

I finally got a spanking copy of Funky Black Man

Barbara & Ernie - Play with Fire on 45

Alan Tew - The Prowler on 45

Johanna Group - Strange love Action [You gotta hear this to believe it.....Madness] on Chappell

And now I await my Ali Ben! Nice one Serms for nailing this beast!

None of these were 50p charidee jobs btw! I'd be recovering from a heart by-pass if they were!!!!!
                      I was raised by wolves

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Dr Rubberfunk @ April 30 2004,09:23)]I remember being disappointed that there aren't actually any 'doctor' samples though  
                        Then you must look out for a 45 spoken word record that helps doctors / medical students check for sounds of heart beats.... its got a stethascope on the front, & its very stupid.
                        Although a sound burger would possibly fit in a dr's coat pocket
                        You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ April 30 2004,11:54)]More postal digs...

Bob Downes Open Music 'Episodes' LP
                          Bob Downes Open Music 'Diversions At 4am' LP
                          Funny that.I got mine as a pair as well.Did they have all the flyers and publicity stuff with them?

All I had this week was The Soulful Strings 'The Magic Of Christmas'.At least it'll give me a head start on my Xmas mix.
                          Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Mumbles @ April 30 2004,23:05)]Funny that.I got mine as a pair as well.Did they have all the flyers and publicity stuff with them?
                            Nope, the only guff with mine is the insert with the track details. But one of the sleeves isn't made up, it was never folded and glues and the names of the producer and arranger have been carefully cut out.
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                            X