Dr terrors house of horrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr terrors house of horrors

Well, it's one of those 45s which has passed into mythical status, frantically scribbled onto wants lists purely because... well, it's on someone else's wants list.

I was desperately wanting to hear this Roy Castle nugget of sample-able breakbeat horror soundtrack afro-funk (well, that's the epic proportions it had reached in my imagination at any rate) so imagine my surprise to see someone has cheekily re-issued/bootlegged it.

Dr Terror

At last! A soundclip and... err, it's not quite what I expected....
    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Hehehe. This was one of the first Hammer films I ever saw. Its in the so-bad-its-good category. It crops up late night on the beeb from time to time.

Now 'seven golden vampires' - thats a scary hammer film. Well it is when your six. Scared the crap outta me for months!
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Bugger, I can&#39;t listen to RealAudio at work - I&#39;ve wondered what this was like too, ever since the guy in the Hendon record shop mentioned it to me. Now I *need* to hear it...
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Think ole roy castle crooning over some lex baxter-esque-easy-and-I-mean-easy-funky-band thing.

Ie not worth £10.
        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

hang on...

i&#39;ve wanted the voodoo tune for ages, since i first saw the film in fact. but how disappointed would you be if you picked that 45 up for more than a fiver?

it&#39;s not anywhere near the same as the film version. for a start, it doesn&#39;t usually have roy crooning all over it (just a trumpet solo from roy and it&#39;s instrumental), it&#39;s faster, the drums are bigger and best of all tubby hayes puts his sax down half way through and plays one of the dirtiest buzz-flute solos i&#39;ve heard in ages. incredible tune&#33;

the single just isn&#39;t anything like it at all.

Comment

one of roy castle&#39;s tunes was being stopped from being reissued by his missus. anyone know if it&#39;s [the flip of] this one?
            http://www.blaxploitation.com
            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

I&#39;m liking this, but £800 hmm, prehaps it&#39;s on &#39;our&#39; wants lists because of the Hammer collectors (there must be some) interest. &quot;now that your gone the voodoo drums no longer play the voodoo song&quot; hehehe. i can&#39;t read who arranged it (surely not Tubby??)
              working together for better bass and treble

Comment

i believe it was tubby hayes who arranged.

Comment

That&#39;s the one with Alan &#39;Fluff&#39; Freeman in it in a rare straight acting role, isn&#39;t it? Top film - I met Fluff a while back, really nice bloke.

Comment

The Voodoo tune&#39;s pretty good, but the A-side&#39;s like the Monster Mash, except not as good, or funny.
                    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ May 03 2004,18:34)]The Voodoo tune&#39;s pretty good, but the A-side&#39;s like the Monster Mash, except not as good, or funny.
                      Funnily enough, I found a copy of &#39;The Monster Mash&#39; the other day...plenty of memories in those grooves, I can tell you&#33; I was quite surprised it was from 1961, as I always associated with my own childhood and assumed it was a 70s novelty record. Anyway...the flip is surprisingly good in a &#39;loads of silly voices and boing effects with a touch of The Cramps&#39; kind of way, too.
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (wayne @ May 04 2004,18:31)]Funnily enough, I found a copy of &#39;The Monster Mash&#39; the other day...plenty of memories in those grooves, I can tell you&#33;
                        being a vivian stanshall fan, i have to mention that the bonzo dog band did a really good version of &quot;the monster mash&quot;.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (wayne @ May 04 2004,18:31)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ May 03 2004,18:34)]The Voodoo tune&#39;s pretty good, but the A-side&#39;s like the Monster Mash, except not as good, or funny.
                          Funnily enough, I found a copy of &#39;The Monster Mash&#39; the other day...plenty of memories in those grooves, I can tell you&#33; I was quite surprised it was from 1961, as I always associated with my own childhood and assumed it was a 70s novelty record. Anyway...the flip is surprisingly good in a &#39;loads of silly voices and boing effects with a touch of The Cramps&#39; kind of way, too.
                          The reason you think of it as a 70s tune is because that&#39;s when it was a hit (1973). I can&#39;t remember how or why it was a hit then, but I think there&#39;s some sort of explanation. Helpful or what, eh?

Ps I saw the Cramps on their first ever tour of the UK in 1978 supporting... The Police. What a strange experience that was.
                          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ May 04 2004,20:52)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (wayne @ May 04 2004,18:31)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            The reason you think of it as a 70s tune is because that&#39;s when it was a hit (1973). I can&#39;t remember how or why it was a hit then, but I think there&#39;s some sort of explanation. Helpful or what, eh?

Ps I saw the Cramps on their first ever tour of the UK in 1978 supporting... The Police. What a strange experience that was.
                            My Lambretta chopper was called &#39;Hot Pearl Snatch&#39; based on The Cramps. Cringe. I was young.
                            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Hi Vultures,
                              a bit of a correction here, &quot;Dr. Terror&#39;s House of Horrors&quot; is an Amicus film, not a Hammer one.

David
                              God bless Fatso.

Comment

Working...
                              X