Keith mansfield "soul thing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith mansfield "soul thing"

Firstly, I'm come clean. I'm a "Soul Thing" nerd. I thought I had all the versions, but whilst DJing last night my co-DJ spun the track off Keith Mansfield's "All You Need Is..." LP - has anyone else noticed that the versions on the mono and stereo LPs are quite different? The stereo version features totally different Hawkshaw piano - it's like 2 piano parts played together instead of the single note version????

Anyway, can anyone add anything to this Soul Thing discography:

Keith Mansfield - All You Need Is LP.... (feat. mono version)
    Keith Mansfield - All You Need Is LP.... (feat. stereo version)
    Keith Mansfield - Soul Thing (7" - same as mono LP)
    KPM - Flamboyant Themes 2 LP (as Funky Fanfare)
    KPM - Beat Incidental LP (as Funky Fanfare - different take)
    Paul Raven (aka Gary Glitter) - Soul Thing (2 x 7" pressings)
    James Royal - Call My Name LP (as House Of Jack)
    James Royal - House Of Jack 7" (?)
    Tony Newman - Soul Thing (2 x 7" Decca pressings)
    Tony Newman - Soul Thing (7" US Parrot - shorter than UK issue)
    Arzachel - same (as Queen Street Gang)

Then there's that Carnaby Street Pop Orchestra thing (which I presume is the FlamboyantThemes version). Are there any other versions I don't know of???

I think I need help...
    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

THE ESTABLISHMENT - House Of Jack [stereo] / Same [mono]
    on US King
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

You are suffering from a classic case of Soulthingitis. There is no cure, but covering yourself with silver foil to stop the Stereo Gold LPs from talking to you can help...

http://wakeupanddie.com
      http://weirdgearnyc.com
      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Silver foil, eh? I&#39;m going one step further and using the covers of Hammond Gold - which are strangely bronze, but then Hammond Bronze doesn&#39;t have quite the same ring.

Thanks for the tip&#33;

Comment

I&#39;ve got a version on a US high school LP, I&#39;ll dig it out.

Comment

Sorry to add to your confusion but the Carnaby St pop orchestra and choir version is different on the cd re-release (courtesy of Recurr records) to that of the original vinyl lp, by way of a longer middle section. I guess this may have something to do with the session master tapes rather than any editing. But then you seem to have it quite bad already&#33; .
            derelicts of dialect

Comment

Jeez, I thought I had it bad. Now I&#39;ll have to buy &#39;All You Need Is...&#39; and the Parrot 45. I *think* there&#39;s also a nineties cover by a west coast retro-psyche group, inspired by the Queen Street Gang, but I&#39;ll have to do some googling and find it again.

Which version of Keith&#39;s is the Pronit?
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Nope, can&#39;t find it. It was a while ago and I no longer have the emails either, so I may have been confusing it with Arzachel but there&#39;s a nagging doubt that my memory is right...

X5 &#39;I must make proper notes.&#39;
                &#39;I must make proper notes.&#39;
                &#39;I must make proper notes...&#39;
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Almost forgot, Beck used to play this live so that could explain the nineties version...

Thanks for your help chaps, one day I will be cured&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ May 08 2004,17:04)]THE ESTABLISHMENT - House Of Jack [stereo] / Same [mono]
                    on US King
                    There is also an LP by THE ESTABLISHMENT with the stereo version on

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (mundayschild @ May 10 2004,00:09)]Sorry to add to your confusion but the Carnaby St pop orchestra and choir version is different on the cd re-release (courtesy of Recurr records) to that of the original vinyl lp, by way of a longer middle section. I guess this may have something to do with the session master tapes rather than any editing.
                      Quite probably - the original Carnaby issue used a sub-master, with a little bit of distortion on the brass. Recur went to the original masters where possible, though they had to use the sub-master for a couple of tracks - I think &#39;Dr Jekyll and Hyde Park&#39; is one, as the KPM mono version has a proper ending rather than a fade.

Comment

Working...
                      X