Old gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old gold

prompted by charting of 'mancini generation' (great version of Memphis Underground on it) i dug out an old crate and next to the mancini LP was a Polydor comp called 'Hi-fi spectacular'.

it's mostly German stuff, medleys, except for a super-heavy version of 'Last Tango In Paris' by Max Greger Jr and Sr. drums, hammond, sax, bass, guitar... all chunky!

anyone know which LP it's from?
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Funny, I pulled out a polydor comp 'Big band in hi-fi stereo' at the weekend, thought his version of Time is tight was rather good.Anyone know where this is from also.
    -
    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
    but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

"Time is Tight" is from 'Sunshine Starshine' but I'd also like to know where Last Tango is from as well 'cos it's smart!
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Time is Tight is one of the less good tracks on that LP i thought. the whole LP is listenable (a first for Max?) and there's some really good stuff on there. nice Hair tracks too (you got this one Rich?). he even gives Love Is Blue a funky-ish intro.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (bongolia @ May 10 2004,11:46)]Time is Tight is one of the less good tracks on that LP i thought. the whole LP is listenable (a first for Max?) and there's some really good stuff on there. nice Hair tracks too (you got this one Rich?). he even gives Love Is Blue a funky-ish intro.
          Yep, I recently paid proper money for it and haven't regretted it one bit (nice digging though Mike&#33. In fact the reason I've been after it for a good couple of years is having 'Aquarius' on one of those 'Hi-Fi Stereo' LP's. 'Soul House' (or is it 'Soul Breeze&#39 is my favourite on there.
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Aquarius was a bit disappointing, but 'Let the Sunshine In' (nice to see them non-medley for a change) is killer, and 'Good Morning Starshine' is good. 'Soul House' was on a Karminsky comp, and Soul Breeze is good too from memory (shit, was only two days ago&#33. there's also Spinning Wheel, Time Is Tight, Hot Cha, and Nat Adderley's 'Sweet Emma'. Sehr Gut, Herr Greger!

Greger In the Night is crap though, besides 'Big Train' ("Beeeeeg Traaaaiiiiinnnn!&quot

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (bongolia @ May 10 2004,11:55)]Aquarius was a bit disappointing...
              Really?!? The sax is a little Kenny G but that bassline is the bizness! In fact the whole set reminds of Herr Merbolzheimer.
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

is quite a departure from most other Max Greger records. i guess he's like a German Ray McVay - normally does 'music for dancers' type rubbish, but occasionally gets out the funky arrangements....

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (bongolia @ May 10 2004,12:02)]normally does 'music for dancers' type rubbish...
                  Out of ten???

Comment

Loving all of Sunshine Starshine - my girlfriend's mum got given it - along with alot of other stuff, mostly rubbish - and kept it for me because of the Hair tracks. I've got her well trained, much to my girlfriends chagrin
                    FunkyDown
                    Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Loving all of Sunshine Starshine - my girlfriend's mum got given it - along with alot of other stuff, mostly rubbish - and kept it for me because of the Hair tracks. I've got her well trained, much to my girlfriends chagrin
                      FunkyDown

Comment

rich - how long have you had that sig? only just noticed it...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ May 10 2004,11:59)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Really?!? The sax is a little Kenny G but that bassline is the bizness! In fact the whole set reminds of Herr Merbolzheimer.
                          I once looped up that bass intro in a fitful moment of bored faux-creativity... (which probably would've got me a Mo Wax deal or something in 1992)

But anyway, listening to it about a million times over, I noticed there's a wierd high pitched tone running right the way through it.

Hey, that's not interesting at all. Alright, I'm off.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (formigo @ May 10 2004,12:36)]I once looped up that bass intro in a fitful moment of bored faux-creativity... (which probably would've got me a Mo Wax deal or something in 1992)

But anyway, listening to it about a million times over, I noticed there's a wierd high pitched tone running right the way through it.

But it is - it's been one I've been *planning* on looping that for ages (but now I know it's got a weird high pitched noise )... Anyway, to chip in your wants, I *like* Mort's 'Hair' ($50000 studio dontcha know&#33. 'Three-Five-Zero-Zero' is very Yellow Magic Orchestra. And if you like that you may like Robert Byrne's 'Electric Hair' too (it 'real' bass and drums on it).

Oh, and it's a new sig Mike - seemed appropriate as an update.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (formigo @ May 10 2004,12:36)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ May 10 2004,11:59)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              I once looped up that bass intro in a fitful moment of bored faux-creativity... (which probably would've got me a Mo Wax deal or something in 1992)

It's a great loop and no mistake, but didn't Sermad's favourite 'Mature B-Boy' already do it? Might have to check a couple of the 12's to make sure ...
                              FunkyDown

Comment

Working...
                              X