Early weekend finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early weekend finds

Now I'm jacked in the working from home m'larkey for the world of wearing a tie to an office and even [gasp] working weekends (to do sodding network upgrades - it better rain tommorow now), getting to the charities is getting difficult. Was on a course this week though, and we finished early....so straight out to see what I've been missing.

My £3 bought me.....

Belly Dancer -Authentic Belly Dancing Music (Music Disc LP)
    Los Bravos - Bring A Little Loving (Parrot LP)
    Supersession Workshop - Golden Songs of The Beatles (Deacon LP)
    Ron Goodwin / Kings Singers - The Selfish Giant (EMI One-Up)
    The Purple Fox - Tribute To Jimi Hendrix (SGA LP)
    John Scott & His Orchestra - Film Blockbusters (Circle of Sound LP)
    De La Soul - Eye Know (Big Life 12)

My local 'Help The Aged' has been very kind to me over the last few years, but my girfriend mentioned that they now have a 'Collectable Records' box by the till. Popped in there, and picked up the Purple Fox & John Scott LPs for 29p each.... checked the aformentioned box. Who would have thought that 'Tango In The Night' was now a £5 record eh ?
    Matt Hero

Nipped off early from work and copped a spare of "Smike" on the way home
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

That actually had a repress Lee - saw a copy on an 'Old Gold' style label in the window of the Bloomsbury OST shop the other day.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

And the title role in Smike was played by the man who later went on to play Alan Partridge's obsessed fan in 'I'm Alan Partridge' - he sells kitchens for MFI these days, you know!

A superb afternoon's diggage for me on Wednesday:

Russ Shepard - 'Molly Molly ~ Rock Dance'
        Odd instructional dance record with some excellent funk instrumentals, featuring de Wolfe library ace Frank McDonald on bass - anyone got any info?

Hit Parade Special vol 7 (Rediffusion)
        Cracking! Rediffusion's covers LPs are set to supplant the Hot Hits series in my affections. This one has an unusually high funk quotient, with a brilliant 'I Gotcha', and a 'Freddie's Dead' too!

The World Of Blues Power (Decca)
        In the Record Collector price guide, this would be labelled as being in STB condition - 'Scratched To B*ggery'. I wondered why it was so cheap. 'Barrelhouse Woman' by Champion Jack Dupree is great!

Jose Pirata - 'Happy Sounds' (Deram)
        'Jose is a 26 year old Brazillian....' say the sleevenotes - yeah, right! This is blatantly the work of Pete Smith, and damn fine it is too, with decent versions of 'Watermelon Man', 'La Bamba' and 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles' (&#33

Various - 'Mas Exitos' (Belter)
        Spanish pop comp, with great vocal version of Augusto Alguero's 'Boccacio Soul', and a good track called 'Cambio (Change)', which I think may be a cover of an English/American song.

Chris Parmenter Orchestra - 'Brasilia' (Polydor)
        John Fiddy arranges, includes a cover of James Clarke's KPM track 'A Man Of Our Times'

Billy Vaughan - 'Quietly Wild' (Dot)
        Mainly bought for the cover - a nice purple tinted shot of a girl in horn rimmed specs - but the LPs pretty nice, with lots of harpsichord and an old track from Radio Tip Top (I was Tip Top club member 1825&#33

Earth Star - Atomkraft? Nein Danke (Sky)
        Early-80s German synth stuff, wouldn't sound out of place on a library in places.

Gabor Szabo - Macho (Salvation)
        Creed Taylor type disco funk - you know the drill

Roger Whittaker - Whistling 'round The World (Starline)
        Includes 'Indian Whistler' - Rog goes psych?

Tony Steven sings Dean Martin Favourites (Hallmark)
        Tony is the singer on the MFP Hits LPs that people often think is David Bowie, but isn't. Bought this mainly 'cos it had a pic of him on the front, and I always want to know what these anonymous session singers look like.

Blimey, that took a while to type! Oh well, I've not bought anything for ages, I deserve a chance to show off!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ May 14 2004,22:54)]Hit Parade Special vol 7 (Rediffusion)
          Cracking! Rediffusion's covers LPs are set to supplant the Hot Hits series in my affections. This one has an unusually high funk quotient, with a brilliant 'I Gotcha', and a 'Freddie's Dead' too!

In the Record Collector price guide, this would be labelled as being in STB condition - 'Scratched To B*ggery'. I wondered why it was so cheap. 'Barrelhouse Woman' by Champion Jack Dupree is great!
          the very same "freddie's dead" which features on my new comp. cd!

i'll have to revisit "the world of blues power" - picked it up for 10p a few weeks back and saw the words "eric" and "clapton" when i got home, so it got tossed aside. i'll give that champion jack dupree another go, lord t!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (wooly @ May 15 2004,00:18)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ May 14 2004,22:54)]
            i'll have to revisit "the world of blues power" - picked it up for 10p a few weeks back and saw the words "eric" and "clapton" when i got home, so it got tossed aside. i'll give that champion jack dupree another go, lord t!

Don't front on old Clapo! Especially the Bluesbreakers stuff - I can take or leave much of his 80's output, but I'll admit to being something of a fan

Having nicked my dad's copy of World Of Blues Power many moons ago, I keep picking this up and meaning to let him have his copy back. Found a tatty mono copy last week, and was reminded just how great Peter Green's playing is on 'Greeny'. Great 'band in a room' sounding recordings right across this album ... If anyone finds a spare Volume II - let me know

And - does anyone know what the font is that they use on those Decca 'World Of ...' albums??

Rubs
            FunkyDown
            Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Dr Rubberfunk @ May 16 2004,20:51)]does anyone know what the font is that they use on those Decca 'World Of ...' albums??
              Looks a little like Garamond to me, but not 100%.
              Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ May 14 2004,22:54)]Russ Shepard - 'Molly Molly ~ Rock Dance'
                Odd instructional dance record with some excellent funk instrumentals, featuring de Wolfe library ace Frank McDonald on bass - anyone got any info?
                I think that questions been asked before. No one had any info other than it features in Julian aka recordgirl aka Record Kingz photo section in his interview with Spine Magazine (at the bottom of the page). This presumably means it's very rare. I've certainly never seen a copy. Not that that means much.

Comment

..all i found this weekend was another copy of elaine delmar, "sneakin up on you"

Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (son of stan @ May 17 2004,12:38)]..all i found this weekend was another copy of elaine delmar,  "sneakin up on you"    

Another copy? For trade Sir?
                    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (vibra @ May 17 2004,12:59)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (son of stan @ May 17 2004,12:38)]..all i found this weekend was another copy of elaine delmar,  "sneakin up on you"    

Another copy? For trade Sir?
                      Yes indeed.
                      Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Blighty @ May 17 2004,12:33)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ May 14 2004,22:54)]Russ Shepard - 'Molly Molly ~ Rock Dance'
                        I think that questions been asked before. No one had any info other than it features in Julian aka recordgirl aka Record Kingz photo section in his interview with Spine Magazine (at the bottom of the page). This presumably means it's very rare. I've certainly never seen a copy. Not that that means much.  
                        Hmm. Mine comes with the original instruction booklet (not that I understand any of it) and a letter saying 'If you knacker up this record, don't bother sending it back to us 'cos we're fed up with people sending us records we can't even use for demonstration purposes' (or words to that effect, anyway&#33 Judging by the catalogue number, there may be more LPs in this series....nice!

Wouldn't mind a copy of that new CD when it's done, Wooly!

Comment

Slightly off topic, I guess, but that RecordKingz interview Blighty linked to contains the following declaration:

"I've got to the stage on the breaks side of things where I could probably find a record for a pound and then sell it for £150. But another guy might find it, think, 'Oh, that's alright' - and sell it for a tenner instead. And you think, 'You mug!'. You don't know if you're not confident enough and have the right ear to say, 'Yeah - that's a dope tune'. I'll know when I hear something though. Obviously stuff that's already known has a set price, but the unknown stuff doesn't."

Er, am I a bit dense, or is the mug the one paying £150 for a ten quid record, or the one paying £10 for a 150 quid record, or the one selling...uhm, OK, now I'm confused...
                          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Blighty @ May 17 2004,12:33)]
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Yes unfortunately No-one seems to know much about it. I'd be interested to know if the cover is the same as the one on the Spine mag I/V. My cover features the same image, the background isn't solid black but grey, and the font is different and coloured orange. Naturally I'd like to think it's an earlier press. Mine also has the insert that warns of their return policy, very amusing. I have a couple of other related LP's that I mentioned in an earlier thread:
                            http://212.67.202.147/~sermad....+molloy

Mine turned up in a bunch of dance instructional records, there is a number of other lp's on the same label that are ballet music, of no interest to me. The players on them are all similar, I'll post the details later when I'm at home. Funny the LP's should turn up here in Australia but anything's possible.... a 'Rock Dance' went on ebay a few months ago, can't remember how much for but it was in the 50-100 range.

Comment

whoops, that link to the thread didn't quite work... anyhow those other lps have Jim Toomey on drums, Moe Foster/Andy Brown on bass, Pete Solly & Roy Davis on keys, and Ian Cruickshank on guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X