Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble spot

Hey everyone,

just wondering what the story is being this track "Trouble Spot". I have it on the DALI CALDI lp (I think thats the name) and was wondering who was really behind it. Read somewhere it was a kpm track. Is that right?

David
    God bless Fatso.

I've got it on "South of the Border" by Brazilia 70 and the Chico Lopez All Stars (on Deacon), and it's also on "Fiesta" which is a later issue on Windmill. I always presumed it was Syd Dale behind this (well he wrote it) - but I'm sure Lord Thames will be along with the full story shortly...
    There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Yeah. Dali Caldis (or whatever) is a pseudonym (and also almost an anagram) of Syd Dale. The Brasilia 70 LP came out several times, once as "Dali Caldis Plays Latin" (or something like that).
      Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (son of stan @ May 18 2004,11:39)]The Brasilia 70 LP came out several times, once as "Dali Caldis Plays Latin" (or something like that).
        So is that Syd Dale on the cover??
        God bless Fatso.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (soundsville @ May 18 2004,13:45)]
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (son of stan @ May 18 2004,11:39)]The Brasilia 70 LP came out several times, once as "Dali Caldis Plays Latin" (or something like that).
          So is that Syd Dale on the cover??
          Dunno. I've always wondered that myself.....
          Endless Tripe

Comment

I have a spare Brazilia 70...

Dunno whether that's Syd, but what's the deal with Neophonic (which the tracks are credited to). I understand from the VV interview that it was the parent label for Amphonic but what sort of label was it, who ran it, how did it relate to Deacon, etc.?
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I've got a spare Brazilia '70 too!

It ain't Syd on the cover of 'Dali Caldis Plays Latin' - dunno who it is, actually.

Trouble Spot is a Ray Davies composition, and the original recordings were made by Beatt International, a company run by Syd and king of the engineers Adrian Kerridge, who kept budget labels like Windmill and Deacon well supplied with easy-to-licence tracks.

Ray is also probably one of the trumpeters on the LP, with the rest of the band made up of the usual suspects - Barry Morgan, Alan Parker, Jim Lawless etc.

Neophonic are some kind of division of Amphonic - there is (or was) a section about Neophonic on the Amphonic website, but I can't remember what it said.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ May 18 2004,09:39)]Chico Lopez All Stars (on Deacon
                So is Chico Lopez another name for Syd Dale or Ray Davies???
                God bless Fatso.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (soundsville @ May 19 2004,01:26)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Mr Divine @ May 18 2004,09:39)]Chico Lopez All Stars (on Deacon
                  So is Chico Lopez another name for Syd Dale or Ray Davies???
                  Or possibly Denis?
                  Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

I think it's probably Syd, given that it also appeared under the Dali Caldis name, which is one of Syd's aliases. Having said that, it's awfully like some of Ray Davies' work for Cavendish too - perhaps it's some kind of collaboration between the two?

Comment

The credits after each track on the Brazilia 70 are for S. Dale, are they not?
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ May 20 2004,10:21)]The credits after each track on the Brazilia 70 are for S. Dale, are they not?
                        Yup, that's right. But Ray Davies certainly could have arranged them, as I agree with Lord T that the tracks do sound more his style than Syd..
                        Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (vibra @ May 20 2004,10:41)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ May 20 2004,10:21)]The credits after each track on the Brazilia 70 are for S. Dale, are they not?
                          Yup, that's right. But Ray Davies certainly could have arranged them, as I agree with Lord T that the tracks do sound more his style than Syd..
                          I see what you're saying Sherlock.

Comment

Actually, most of the tracks are composed by Syd, but two of them are Ray Davies compositions, and a couple more are by Lew Warburton, so I suppose it could be any of them! It's not made any clearer by the fact that Syd and Ray used to use a lot of the same musicians - Alan Parker in particular being a favourite of both of them.

Comment

Working...
                            X