Record cleaning spray / film stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record cleaning spray / film stuff

There was a thread on here a while back that featured a link to a French site that sold the stuff, but I can't read French, so does anyone know of a record cleaning product that you spray on your vinyl which then sets to a peelable film which you then peel off, taking all the gack with it, and that's available in the UK? One of my brothers-in-law was the proud owner of a Teleton hi-fi back in the 70s and I clearly remember watching him using this stuff on his records

I've ordered some of the French stuff - "LGL Nettoyage Vinyl" (vinyl cleaner) it's a film which you apply on the disc and allow to set, then peel off, hopefully taking all the crud out of the grooves at the same time. Rather like gelatine. Hasnt arrived yet but I'm hopeful it will be as good as it sounds.

I dont know of a UK supplier but you could try a Google search. Or these people in Lille

http://www.nuloop.com/en/dj-equipmen...uloop_lgl.html

have a Franglais website.

Or you could buy a bottle from me (if it arrives!)
    Last edited by eagerbeaver; 19-12-2008, 10:17 AM.

Comment

couldnt you do the same with that glue you have at school when your a kid.

the glue you cover your hands with and pretend to be peeling your skin off. (or was that just me?)
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by eric-adams View Post
        couldnt you do the same with that glue you have at school when your a kid.

the glue you cover your hands with and pretend to be peeling your skin off. (or was that just me?)
        No,me too. Fun on your hands, not so much fun anywhere hairy.

Glue didn't work when I tried it a couple of years ago, but I think Peretti said it did for him. I think I might have had the wrong glue, though, because I bought some more recently that was much more like the school stuff.

I'm going to try it again.
        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Eagerbeaver - keep me updated - I'd be interested in a spare!

And yes, Eric - I do use that glue to clean mine (it's PVA glue), it works fantastically well - the best cleaner I've ever used in fact - and really does get the dirt out but the only downside is the time it takes - you need to leave it to set for 24 hours, so you end up with stacks of sticky records, erm, stacked everywhere! Or is it sticks of stacky records...?

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post
            Eagerbeaver - keep me updated - I'd be interested in a spare!

And yes, Eric - I do use that glue to clean mine (it's PVA glue), it works fantastically well - the best cleaner I've ever used in fact - and really does get the dirt out but the only downside is the time it takes - you need to leave it to set for 24 hours, so you end up with stacks of sticky records, erm, stacked everywhere! Or is it sticks of stacky records...?

Update - I ordered three bottles of the magic cleaning goo from somewhere in la France - thanks to our crappy exchange rate they will work out at about £12 a pop so PM me if y'still interested in having one .

Comment

Just ordered a bottle of this stuff. Costed me £12 pp as you can no longer send liquids in the normal post so need to be UPS or somethink.

Anyway, when it arrives (hopefully before Friday) I will do a wee before and after so you can hear for yourselves if it works....
              L@@K

Double Sight Weekender - Glasgow Garage & Psych Weekender 4-7th October 2012
              The Freak-Beats Club: Glasgow's new happening club night!
              "Get the Records!" On Youtube channel

Comment

I use Isopropyl Alcohol from the chemists, about a tenner a bottle
                The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer View Post
                  Just ordered a bottle of this stuff. Costed me £12 pp as you can no longer send liquids in the normal post so need to be UPS or somethink.

Anyway, when it arrives (hopefully before Friday) I will do a wee before and after so you can hear for yourselves if it works....
                  I've used this stuff and had some pretty good results. It does seem to lift all of the impacted dirt out of the grooves...

Its worked wonders with some of the indian lps i have
                  the monkey speaks his mind

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
                    I use Isopropyl Alcohol from the chemists, about a tenner a bottle
                    Best to dilute with distilled water rather than neat
                    -
                    You thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever,
                    but you rode upon a steamer to the violence of the sun.

Comment

piccadilly are selling something called Mobile Fidelity : Super Deep Cleaner here :

clean me

dont know what it is though
                      Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by eclipsechaser View Post
                        piccadilly are selling something called Mobile Fidelity : Super Deep Cleaner here :

clean me

dont know what it is though
                        quote: "exclusive Quad-Distilled, hyper-pure water base with a mild detergent" - ooooh! Distilled water. At £14.99 a bottle? er no ta.

the French goo mentioned above is an alcohol-based plastic film btw. rather like a refined version of PVA.

Comment

Originally posted by eagerbeaver View Post
                          quote: "exclusive Quad-Distilled, hyper-pure water base with a mild detergent" - ooooh! Distilled water. At £14.99 a bottle? er no ta.
                          You obviously missed the quad-distilled part, didn't ya? I agree it's mostly distilled water, so it's way expensive.

Hasn't someone mentioned another film-spray product in the past? I can't seem to find it though.

Comment

Pardon me if this is old territory, but has anyone tried using glue for the same purpose?

The final post here contains sound clips of a cruddy record prior and after the using the glue method. (there is also another 27 pages devoted to the topic )

Many people have reported great success with the glue mask method so I bought some Elmer's school glue today to try on a beat flea market LP.
                            "Will our children be sacraficial lambs offered up to ease the fears of the multinational corporations like so many brainwashed media zombies? Petroleum and it's byproducts should not be a dependancy in a technology based society. Nothing lasts for ever and we cannot ask God for our gasoline!" - from Flowers and Birds by Rise Robots Rise

Comment

Originally posted by lampros77 View Post
                              You obviously missed the quad-distilled part, didn't ya? I agree it's mostly distilled water, so it's way expensive.

Hasn't someone mentioned another film-spray product in the past? I can't seem to find it though.
                              I was dizzied by the pseudo-science of quad-distilled water ... ooooh.... does it also have extra oxygen and stuff ? if so then p'raps it'll get featured in that monthly feature in Record Collector mag, showcasing all manner of mad hi-fi "improvements"

Comment

Working...
                              X