Seven Ages of Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven Ages of Man

About a year ago i saw the Seven Ages of Man LP in a shop's 'New In' box for 25 smackers...copped for a listen and hummed and ha-ed a bit...like it, but not 25 notes worth...the bloke wouldnt come down on the price as it books at £30+, so there it stayed...been on the lookout for one cheaper ever since and have just won it on the dreaded bay for under a tenner...guess who the seller was...self same shopkeeper!!!! that LP had my name written on it all along!!! strange!

Can someone explain the deal with 'book prices' as they always seem pretty out of kilter with what anyone seems ready to pay: was told that the Francis Lai 'Legend of Frenchie King' S/T books at £35 - but that's for an MFP LP of an OK in parts, but slightly ropey cod-Western affair with Brigitte Bardot on the cover, but nowhere to be found in the grooves: I paid £1.50 for it...and the guy who mentioned the book price as he bagged it up was the guy selling it... Weird. Just that the guide prices always seem either too low (really rare stuff not booked at all) or way way too optimistic...

(Edited by wayne at 11:39 am on Mar. 25, 2003)
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

</span>
      Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] ]Quote: from wayne on 11:37 am on Mar. 25, 2003
      Can someone explain the deal with 'book prices' as they always seem pretty out of kilter with what anyone seems ready to pay
      <span =''>

I thought everyone knew: they blindfold someone at Record Collector, who then sticks a pin in a board full of numbers.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

</span>
        Originally posted by [b
        Can someone explain the deal with 'book prices' as they always seem pretty out of kilter with what anyone seems ready to pay: was told that the Francis Lai 'Legend of Frenchie King' S/T books at £35 - but that's for an MFP LP of an OK in parts, but slightly ropey cod-Western affair with Brigitte Bardot on the cover, but nowhere to be found in the grooves: I paid £1.50 for it...and the guy who mentioned the book price as he bagged it up was the guy selling it... Weird. Just that the guide prices always seem either too low (really rare stuff not booked at all) or way way too optimistic...

<span =''>

Thats a classic RC overprice that LP. I can't believe anybody has ever got more than a fiver for that.

I always think of the RC guide as my friend. If a dealer just goes by book price there are plenty of nice things they woefully underprice in there, such as 'Suite London' and 'Nice To Meet You Miss Christine'. I think its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other as to whats under/over priced.
        He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

</span>
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]Quote: from chrisvulture on 11:29 am on Mar. 25, 2003
          About a year ago i saw the Seven Ages of Man LP in a shop's 'New In' box for 25 smackers...copped for a listen and hummed and ha-ed a bit...like it, but not 25 notes worth...the bloke wouldnt come down on the price as it books at £30+, so there it stayed...been on the lookout for one cheaper ever since and have just won it on the dreaded bay for under a tenner...guess who the seller was...self same shopkeeper!!!! that LP had my name written on it all along!!! strange!
          <span =''>

Glad you held out for it Chris, but i do think you may be rather dissapointed with it.........ultra lo fi mastering doesn't really do it any favours either.
          SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

it'll be on that 'see through' Reddifusion vinyl too!

Comment

</span>
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]Quote: from ladyboygrimsby on 11:54 am on Mar. 25, 2003
              </span>
              Originally posted by [b
              Can someone explain the deal with 'book prices' as they always seem pretty out of kilter with what anyone seems ready to pay
              <span =''>

I thought everyone knew: they blindfold someone at Record Collector, who then sticks a pin in a board full of numbers.
              <span =''>

That's what it looks like to me...glad you could confirm it (and explain why some charities/secondhand shops put Simply Red 12&quot; singles in the 'collector's' section, and dump good stuff out with the Harry Secombes). Just thought i was missing something important on this one...

Agree with Hadrian about the Francis Lai 'Frenchie King' S/T - there are two, maybe 3 at a pinch, decent tracks (a song, and couple of short incidental bits)...but nothing to touch side 2 of 'Live for life' (which seems to go for pence) or his other good stuff. Can't even be that rare on MFP, can it??

(Edited by wayne at 4:17 pm on Mar. 25, 2003)
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
              X